Thread: Wanted: Bouillabaisse page

Paleo in the Patch is offline Junior Member

Wanted: Bouillabaisse

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    New to the forums, been surfing MDA for several months now and been paleo for a few months.

The best thing is that I am turning into a cook, and loving it, so I am learning a lot.

If any of you have a good Bouillabaisse recipe post it up. Looks like it would be a great primal meal sans the bread of course.

Thanks to all,
    Be well

stef is offline Member
    Balthazar is my go-to classic cookbook. This recipe minus the croutons and potatoes should work fine:

http://www.chewingthefat.us.com/2010...aioli-and.html

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I got my bouillabaisse recipe from the master, Julia Child. It sounds complicated because it's long, but it's not hard to make. A bit time-consuming though. The broth can be made a day ahead.

Bouillabaisse a la Marseillaise (Mediterranean Fish Chowder)

From The French Chef Cookbook, 1968, by Julia Child
    For 6 to 8 people

The Soup Base

1 cup sliced yellow onions
    3/4 to 1 cup sliced leeks, white part only; or 1/2 cup more onions
    1/2 cup of olive oil
    2 to 3 cups chopped fresh tomatoes, or 1 1/4 cups drained canned tomatoes, or 1/4 cup tomato paste
    4 cloves mashed garlic

In a heavy 8-quart kettle or pot, cook the onions and leeks slowly in the olive oil for 5 minutes without browning. Stir in the tomatoes and garlic, and cook 5 minutes more.

2 1/2 quarts water
    6 parsley sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 tsp thyme or basil
    1/8 tsp fennel
    2 big pinches of saffron
    A 2-inch piece or 1/2 tsp dried orange peel
    1/8 tsp pepper
    1 Tb salt (none if using clam juice)
    3 to 4 lbs. fish heads, bones, and trimmings including shellfish remains; or, 1 quart clam juice and 1 1/2 quarts of water and no salt

Add the water, herbs, seasoning, and fish or clam juice to the kettle. Bring to boil, skim, and cook, uncovered, at the slow boil for 30 to 40 minutes. Strain, correct seasoning. Set aside, uncovered, until cool if you are not finishing the bouillabaisse immediately, then refrigerate.

Cooking the Bouillabaisse

The soup base
    6 to 8 lbs. assorted lean fish and shellfish*

Bring the soup base to a rapid boil in the kettle about 20 minutes before serving. Add lobsters, crabs, and firm-fleshed fish. Bring quickly back to the boil and boil rapidly, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Then add the tender-fleshed fish, and the clams, mussels, and scallops. Bring back to the boil again for 5 minutes. Do not overcook.

Immediately lift out the fish and arrange on the platter. Carefully taste soup for seasoning pour the soup into a tureen. Spoon a ladleful of soup over the fish, and sprinkle parsley over both fish and soup. Serve immediately.

At the table, each guest is served or helps himself to both fish and soup, placing them in a large soup plate.

*Fish suggestions: bass, cod, conger or sea eel, cusk, flounder, grouper, grunt, haddock, hake or whiting, halibut, perch, pollock, rockfish or sculpin, snapper, spot, sea trout or weakfish, wolffish. Shellfish: crab, lobster, mussels, clams, scallops.

Paleo in the Patch is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for those recipes. I will make it next week for my brother and his wife. Will report back...