Thread: Your Fat Cells Control Your Brain??? page

stef is offline Member

Your Fat Cells Control Your Brain???

Primal Fuel
    Anyone care to debunk this article? It seems to me that this is a case of blaming the symptoms for the disease:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephe..._b_732201.html

I'd be curious to hear your take on this. The proposed solutions are not even coherent (must be a typo="c. Choose low protein fat sources"), but the entire article strikes me as the cart driving the horse. Love to hear what you think.

Excerpt:

Instead of sitting idly by, waiting for a famine or a jog, fat cells continuously send dozens of potent chemical signals to tissues throughout the body, including the brain, liver, muscles, reproductive organs and immune system. These chemicals orchestrate a host of activities which may increase our risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and premature death.

In recent studies, evidence has shown that fat tissue -- far from being a dormant storage depot for surplus calories -- is actually an active organ that sends chemical signals to other parts of the body with profound and sometimes harmful effects to your body. Fat seems to have an infinite capacity to make more of itself.

Scientists are reporting discovery of 20 new hormones and other previously unknown substances secreted into the blood by human fat cells. The new findings could pave the way for a better understanding of the role that hormone-secreting fat cells play in heart disease, diabetes and other diseases, in addition to other body-regulating mechanisms.

Among those hormones is leptin, which controls appetite, and adiponectin, which makes the body more sensitive to insulin and controls blood sugar levels.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, I thought the idea of fat as a metabolically active endocrine organ was kosher around here.

liza is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    Hmm, I thought the idea of fat as a metabolically active endocrine organ was kosher around here.
    It is, is long as it's not lard or bacon grease.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I figured that leptin would be mentioned. It's part of what makes stubborn fat so stubborn. It's produced by fat and makes you feel full. When you don't have much fat left, you don't produce as much. Unfortunately, leptin supplementing doesn't work either.
    I also thought that this thread might mention the movie "Fat Head" (well, it does now) and possibly note the fact that one's brain does not control one's fat cells.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    It is, is long as it's not lard or bacon grease.
    I'd venture that goes for any animal, as long as it's not dead

GrokGoddess is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Fat seems to have an infinite capacity to make more of itself.
    Well it does when you are constantly eating carbs!!

You can't just isolate one element and expect to find the answer to "cure" it. Or think you can now go manufacture a drug to turn off/on the appropriate signals.
    The human body is way too complex for that.
    Cheers
    Carlye

WWGD - What Would Grok Do?

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It never ceases to amaze me that they can't see the difference between the macronutrient fat and adipose fat tissue. What brilliant logic eh? Body fat is bad for you, therefore fat intake is bad for you!!!

lol