Thread: Primal Cheesecake? page

EnterpriseE is offline Junior Member

Primal Cheesecake?

Primal Fuel
    I have been on the primal diet for a while now, with excellent results. However, I have not lost my love for cooking elaborate dinners and deserts. I have had some success with the recipe’s in The Primal Cookbook, but I have not found a recipe for a primal cheesecake yet. I have been thinking about how to make such a desert, and I think that such a primal desert would theoretically be possible, as the main ingredients are eggs, cream cheese and sugar. If the sugar were replaced with something else, I think that it would work. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I should use to sweeten it instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. Thank you.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Last edited by batty; 09-27-2010 at 05:00 PM.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    I made up my own version of a german-style cheesecake last year (after visiting Germany for Oktoberfest ...
    The secret is their cheese: quark (pronounced "kvark"). The first hurdle was acquiring that. The best was making my own. Pour buttermilk into a covered baking dish - I think about a 1/2 gallon ought to make enough. Bake covered overnight at 150 (I think). Next morning you have a giant curd floating in the whey. Strain thru cheese cloth. Voila! The crust I made out of almond & hazelnut meals, maybe a little coconut flour, butter, vanilla sugar (comes in little packets, I used one) and an egg. (to simulate a graham cracker crust). I remember the filling is cheese, egg, cream, lemon zest & a little sweet. German cheesecakes are way lighter & fluffier than NY -style, plus less sweet. I googled around for german cheese cakes then made up my own version. It was eaten quickly... (I used buttermilk from "Farmer's Creamery", they make non-homgenized dairy stuff) Sorry I don't have exact measurements & all, I've been mainly experimenting the past yr & being bad about writing stuff down...

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    I have made SoGs cheesecake and while I found it to be quite tasty it is a bit bland. It's... very very cheesy. I knew that unless I jazzed it up I would be the only one who enjoyed it.

Soo.... I made another one and added some vanilla whey protein powder and also glazed it with a dark chocolate and heavy cream ganache.

I know it was good because I served it to my non-primal family and rednecks, farmers, farmer-rednecks, and highfalutin dallas-ites and they all loved it.

And it was still healthy as hell. For a dessert. I meant. Yeah.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    I have made SoGs cheesecake and while I found it to be quite tasty it is a bit bland. It's... very very cheesy. I knew that unless I jazzed it up I would be the only one who enjoyed it.

Soo.... I made another one and added some vanilla whey protein powder and also glazed it with a dark chocolate and heavy cream ganache.

I know it was good because I served it to my non-primal family and rednecks, farmers, farmer-rednecks, and highfalutin dallas-ites and they all loved it.

And it was still healthy as hell. For a dessert. I meant. Yeah.
    yeah, wasn't too thrilled with the SoG version myself. i just took the base recipe for my own CW cheesecake sans sugar. vanilla whey protein is universal awesomeness.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    The Healthy Indulgences website has a lot of good recipes, including cheesecake. I made the key lime pie recently - superb!!

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/