Thread: Coconut question page

waxleaves is offline Member

Coconut question

Shop Now
    Naturally, I think coconut is just about the coolest thing ever.

I tried using CO as deodorant recently and got horribly painful, raised welts on my underarms from it. Apparently my skin and the CO don't get along, which is okay.

But I'm wondering: when I eat coconut, is something comparable happening to my tender innards?

It's hard for me to monitor my responses to foods because I'm without my gallbladder and have a hard time with fats in general sometimes, and I eat lots of them, so I don't always have the ability to pinpoint what makes me ill.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure there would be a correlation. I'm guessing that maybe it clogged up your sweat glands. Where did you get the idea that coconut oil could be used as deodorant?

There has been tons of talk about it in the "odds and ends" forum--just do a search for "deodorant." A thread I started is here. Lots of people are using it, and it's really effective at eliminating odor, but it does not affect sweat.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    I can't use it as a body oil/moisturizer either, as I get an awful rash/acne.

Do you notice any troubles with ingesting it? Glad to have found someone with the same problem...and hope to hear that you've only got issues with using it topically...

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    Nope, other than I'm just not wild about the taste like some are.

It agrees with me pretty well, actually. It's a savory flavor to me, not sweet, and the background taste in smoothies, etc. reminds me of the smell of BO.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    coconut is very cleansing/healing. it can be used as a deodorant bec. it is anti bacterial, fungal, viral etc. i use it on my skin especially on my neck for thyroid health. the gi symptoms and rashes could be a cleansing reaction. i had it for about a month when i first started it. acne flared up, nausea, fatigue you name it. now i can take as much as i want throughout the day w no issues. give it a chance and take it slooow;-) it really is worth trying though. read coconut cures by bruce fife. just google the benefits of coconut oil and see for yourself.
    p.s. my skin is about as smooth as a baby's behind now!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

I used it for about a week, and the welts on my skin were so bad that it hurt badly to even have my arms at my sides. It's just not for me, skin-wise.