Thread: Mitral valve proplapse page

invino77 is offline Senior Member

Mitral valve proplapse

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello,

I recently learned I have a congential heart condition called mitral valve proplapse. The docs said it was mild and benign, not to think about it. hmph.

Problem is, I cant stop thinking about it. i also notice travelling pains sometimes near my heart and some pain upon major exertion. I explained this to the cardiologist and she just said, "probaly related, but not to worry". sooooooo.

Does anyone have any ideas about nutrition or supplements I should be takeing - I take fish oil and CLA as well as magnesium.

Should I take something like Bromelain to thin the blood?

if anyone has any good non CW out there, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Invino

Eatmydust is offline Senior Member
    Maybe a second consult w/ another Dr. would confirm and make you feel more at ease about it..

Know the feeling my hubby has had thyroid cancer for 17 yrs now ..
    and though it is under control it is always at the back of my mind...
    His blood work is not where Dr.s like to see it , 0 thyroid and it has always read around 12-21
    and going up slowly which means there is still a little piece of tissue..
    but just consulted w/ another dr and he reasured us that it is still under control..

good luck and hope you find some piece
    Last edited by Eatmydust; 09-27-2010 at 11:14 AM.

sf40 is offline Senior Member
    How were you diagnosed? I was diagnosed with MVP over 20 years ago, and when I informed subsequent doctors, all agreed they could hear it.

I recently had a stress echocardiogram and guess what - no MVP! The cardiologist said it is extremely over-diagnosed. What I do have is very, very minor mitral valve regurgitation. That is what everyone heard. I agree you should get a second opinion.

Regarding your pains, you may be stressing yourself out, worrying about it. I was having pains, too, which led to an emergency room visit and all sorts of tests (including the stress echocardiogram).

btw, my mom does have MVP, very mild. She is 65. It has never affected her.

Good luck!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    15-25% of the population have MVP.

This is what I hate about medical testing...most of the time, you end up finding out things that cause stress and there's no benefit knowing about them anyway.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Be sure you are not dehydrated, and that you have enough magnesium. I like the "magnesium oil" (MgCl brine) which you rub on your skin. It gets more inside faster without upsetting your bowels.

I used to worry when my heart was flipping beats. Now it is rare, and I just reach for a glass of water.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Heart health: CoQ10, L-carnitine, D-ribose

Never let a physician tell you that you can't do something. Let your body tell you. Physicians are often wrong. Sometimes even when they are right they come up with bad advice.

Leading causes of death: mis-diagnoses, faulty or improper treatment

Primallady is offline Senior Member
    I was diagnosed with MVP when I was a young teen- by the time I was 21 they could no longer find it and I had extensive testing.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by invino77 View Post
    Hello,

I recently learned I have a congential heart condition called mitral valve proplapse. The docs said it was mild and benign, not to think about it. hmph.

Problem is, I cant stop thinking about it. i also notice travelling pains sometimes near my heart and some pain upon major exertion. I explained this to the cardiologist and she just said, "probaly related, but not to worry". sooooooo.

Does anyone have any ideas about nutrition or supplements I should be takeing - I take fish oil and CLA as well as magnesium.

Should I take something like Bromelain to thin the blood?

if anyone has any good non CW out there, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Invino
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe MVP is a physical "defect" with the matching of the size mitral valve and opening affected (left) atrium. So there's not really anything outside of surgery that can "fix" it. I know it exists in some at an early age and disappears later. I imagine this may be because the valve has finally is closer in size to the atrium. In other words, some people "grow" out of it...some will have it forever. Almost all will be perfectly fine. I know some people who have it get easily winded on exertion or sense a little discomfort. Aspiring, Beta-Blockers and magnesium are used to treat MVP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitral_...apse#Treatment

I would imagine the anti-inflammatory and blood-thinning qualities of fish oil give some of the same benefits the aspirin would adn the magnesium is one target.

loneviking is offline Member
    A prolapsed mitral valve causes regurgitation up into the left atrium. Usually the symptoms are very minor, but they can become serious. My dad develped MVP in his forties and it crippled his ability to do vigorous exercise. Usually the definitive diagnosis is by an Echocardiogram. Here's a link to more info on this topic:

http://www.bing.com/health/article/m...valve+prolapse

Grizz is offline Banned
    End Stage Vitamin D3 Deficiency causes Mitral Valve leakage, also other heart valves leakage:
    Chronic and severe deficiency of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency leads to arthritis, osteoporosis, coronary and valve calcification, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol patterns, and pain.

Look inside: On a simple x-ray, we see that the bones of her body are unusually transparent, with just a thin rim of bone at the outer edges, depleted of calcium. Weight-bearing bones like the spine, hips, and knees have eroded and collapsed.

On an echocardiogram of her heart (ultrasound), she has dense calcium surrounding her mitral valve ("mitral anular calcium"), a finding that rarely impairs the valve itself but is a marker for heightened potential for heart attack and other adverse events. Her aortic valve, another of the four heart valves, is also loaded with calcium. In the aortic valve, unlike the mitral valve, the collection of calcium makes the valve struggle to open, causing a murmur. The valve is rigid and can barely open to less than half of its original opening width.

If a heart scan were performed, we'd see the coronary calcification, along with calcification of the aorta, and the mitral and aortic valves.

Obviously, it's not a pretty picture. It is, however, a typical snapshot of an average 78-year old woman, or any other elderly man or woman, for that matter.

This collection of arthritis, osteoporosis, coronary and valve calcification, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol patterns, and pain is not unusual by any stretch. Perhaps you even recognize someone you know in this description. Perhaps it's you.

Look at this list again. Does it seem familiar? I'd say that the common factor that ties these seemingly unrelated conditions together is chronic and severe deficiency of vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency leads to arthritis, osteoporosis, coronary and valve calcification, high blood pressure, abnormal cholesterol patterns, and pain. More here:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...eficiency.html