Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hike with my 1 year old? page

Patro is offline Junior Member

How to hike with my 1 year old?

Primal Fuel
    He just truned 1 a couple weeks ago. He has been walking since 10 months but he dose not go where i want him to lol. Im assuming i need a backpack carrier? What kind of carriers do you guys use to go hiking with. I need something that will easily allow me to get him out so he can walk around when we rest. Something comfy. Something primal freindly if possible.

hilm3 is offline Member
    Legs around the neck on top of shoulders? Comfy, Primal (lift heavy things), actively engages the child since he/she is just not hanging there, and free.
    Four kids, lots of hiking. I've carried a pooped 60 lb dog around my neck for a couple of miles, too. ;o)

batty is offline Senior Member

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    One important thing if you are hiking alone is a stand on the backpack carrier so you can get him in and out easily without having to worry about balancing the carrier.

This one looks really nice.

I have something similar to what Batty posted (except it's an Ellaroo, not babyhawk) and while it is supremely comfortable to carry baby around for hours, it is not easy to maneuver a baby onto your back (especially a wiggly one) at will. I think an actual carrier will work better for hiking alone and will last you longer.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    My family spent a lot---I mean A LOT--of time in the woods and mountains. I have pictures of my oldest at two years old walking among the redwoods wearing her Doc Martins with a small backpack with a stuffed teddy bear in it.

With kids, pick them up sometimes but let them walk often. When they want to stop to see something or play with something, let them.

If that doesn't give you the exercise you want follow this scheme. My wife or I would leave the group and move at 'adult' pace about a quarter mile or so up the trail and then return. The other member stayed with the kids. They we would switch who moved fast and who moved at snail pace. By the way, letting the young ones stop allows you to see nature in a different light---through their eyes---and learn or relearn the wonder of it all.

About carrying kids, my advice is to do anything but put them on your shoulders. After hurting small noses or eyes a few times because they were not automatically safe from branches and such when we were bushwhacking I learned to carry them at my chest or back. Chest preferred.

rio_sachairi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    After hurting small noses or eyes a few times because they were not automatically safe from branches and such when we were bushwhacking I learned to carry them at my chest or back. Chest preferred.
    Freely or using a wrap?

K.ROB is offline Senior Member
    I got a really nice Kelty on Craigslist. They work great.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    My family spent a lot---I mean A LOT--of time in the woods and mountains. I have pictures of my oldest at two years old walking among the redwoods wearing her Doc Martins with a small backpack with a stuffed teddy bear in it.

With kids, pick them up sometimes but let them walk often. When they want to stop to see something or play with something, let them.

If that doesn't give you the exercise you want follow this scheme. My wife or I would leave the group and move at 'adult' pace about a quarter mile or so up the trail and then return. The other member stayed with the kids. They we would switch who moved fast and who moved at snail pace. By the way, letting the young ones stop allows you to see nature in a different light---through their eyes---and learn or relearn the wonder of it all.

About carrying kids, my advice is to do anything but put them on your shoulders. After hurting small noses or eyes a few times because they were not automatically safe from branches and such when we were bushwhacking I learned to carry them at my chest or back. Chest preferred.

Round here I'd not advise it - too much broken glass, ciggie butts and, I'm sorry to say, used works (this is meant to be an affluent area. Change just one letter and you get a more accurate picture...<sigh>). Not to mention the dog crap! We have doggy bins, we have signs warning that people will be fined 1,000 if they don't scoop the poop - but where are the enforcers...?!

I'm not going to say anymore...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

periquin is offline Senior Member
    rio_sachari girl: Made up a harness that the kid could sit in and then wore that like a back pack---or chest pack. That was thirty years ago. I understand that there are commercial models available now. Just make sure that you know where their head is because you can duck a branch and forget to go a little extra and they are hit.

Shrinking_Violet: I am sorry that you don't have access to real wilderness. It is much more 'civilized' in the woods than in the city.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.ROB View Post
    I got a really nice Kelty on Craigslist. They work great.
    I had one too, they rock!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast