Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb Counting page

Cheeseburger is offline Junior Member

Carb Counting

Primal Fuel
    Hey Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has had trouble staying under 100 grams of carbs regularly. After breakfast and lunch I am at 90 grams.

Breakfast: 1.5 cups plain yogurt with 1/3 cup blackberries, handful of mixed nuts, and 2.5 strips of bacon

Lunch: big salad of spinach, arugula, grape tomatoes, onion, 1 strip bacon, 3 oz diced chicken breast, green pepper, carrot, and radish, and topped with 2 Tbsp low cal french dressing.

That food seems pretty reasonable. Is it mainly the berries that bump things up?

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    More likely it's the nuts.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    How do you know how many grams of carbs you're consuming without knowing what the major culprits are?

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Where are you getting your nutrition information? 1/3 cup of blackberries should only be about 5 carbs your yogurt maybe 20 your nuts maybe 10 or so.

Check out your dressing. My guess is that is the culprit, just use olive oil.

Mav3rick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    How do you know how many grams of carbs you're consuming without knowing what the major culprits are?
    good point.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the forum!

From the serving sizes listed, I think you may have overestimated the carbs, unless that was one huge salad. How are you arriving at that number?

From nutritiondata:
    1/3c of berries: 5g
    1.5c yogurt: 16.5g

The nuts have some too. I don't think the salad would have too many (maybe 30 tops, unless it was really huge). Don't worry too much about hitting a specific number. As long as you're eating real food and you're feeling good, don't worry too much. That being said, it is helpful to track your food every once in a while just as a reality check.

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    I have not had a day that I have gone over 100 carbs, I usually stay around 50-70, but the difference in my breakfast and lunch would be skipping the yougurt in the morning, limited nuts and not every day, and "low cal french dressing" would be replaced with olive oil and vinegar, or home made full fat blue cheese dressing. "Low cal, or Low fat" means it is replaced with sugars or artificial sweetners, or starches, pastes, scums, etc.

My suggestion: Take the bacon from your salad, and fry up 2-3 more, have it with blueberries for your breakfast.
    For your salad, make a good fatty dressing, add more protien in the form of chicken, or HB egg.

Use the nuts for a snack now and then, might not be a good idea to have them daily (it stalls many people if you are looking for weight loss)

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    You've got some bad math going on unless your salad is the size of a small car or you are eating an entire carton of berries.

I eat that, plus sweet potatoes, plus additional fruit and still come in under 100 carbs.

Re-calculate via fitday is my recommendation.

trobi is offline Member
    What kind of "plain" yogurt is it? Plain yogurt that is fat free can still be pretty high in carbs. Are the nuts sweetened, and how much is a handful?

The breakfast is probably what's causing it. According to fitday the yogurt, berries, and nuts (I put in 1/2 a cup for the nuts) came to about 40g carbs. I would suggest ditching the yogurt and nuts, and replacing it with half a cup of coconut milk to go with your berries.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    exactly.

I have a hard time going over 100g a day eating primal foods, unless I eat sweet potato.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast