Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Day (Canada) is coming . . . page

lcme is offline Senior Member

Turkey Day (Canada) is coming . . .

Shop Now
    I'm looking forward to doing my first Thanksgiving dinner as a host. I am wondering if anyone has any primal recipes, specifically stuffing. I love turkey stuffing, mostly because of the spices and buttery flavour.

Anything tried and tested for "primal" turkey stuffing? Any other suggestions for great Thanksgiving recipes?

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    I'm looking forward to doing my first Thanksgiving dinner as a host. I am wondering if anyone has any primal recipes, specifically stuffing. I love turkey stuffing, mostly because of the spices and buttery flavour.

Anything tried and tested for "primal" turkey stuffing? Any other suggestions for great Thanksgiving recipes?
    A sausage stuffing works for me. I use regular ground pork, sage, thyme, parsley, minced onion, celery, garlic, squash, cauliflower, egg, parmigiana cheese, salt and pepper to taste.

Forgot the walnuts. EDIT
    Last edited by Chefgerry; 09-27-2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I made an accidental stuffing once.
    3 tbsp butter or bacon grease
    1/2 yellow Onion, chopped fine
    1 large handful spinach (~ 1.5 c), roughly chopped
    garlic (as much as you can tolerate, I used half a head), thinly sliced
    1 egg, beaten
    broccoli, 1 c, finely chopped (optional)
    pecans and walnuts (1/4 c, roughly chopped)
    1 c chicken broth (turkey's even better, but I didn't have any)
    Heat fat. Saute spinach, broccoli, garlic and onion until spinach is wilted and onion is translucent. Add in egg, scraqmble together until loosely set. Add broth, cook down until broth is mostly gone and it looks somewhat stuffing like. Add nuts and stir.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Yes, I made this the other day: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...rimal-stuffing

TheFoodLovers is offline Senior Member
    We did a "dry run" for the Thanksgiving turkey just last week. We got a free-range turkey, and did minimal Primal-friendly seasoning. It turned out really well, actually! The crispy, flavorful skin was to-die-for good. Here is the lowdown on the turkey:

1. If frozen, defrost turkey breast. Best done by placing in refrigerator at least 24 hours in advance.
    2. Preheat oven to 325.
    3. Drizzle olive oil over turkey breast, brush to coat.
    4. Separate rosemary from stems, roughly chop and sprinkle liberally on turkey.
    5. Add kosher salt and cracked pepper to taste.
    6. Place turkey in shallow roasting pan.
    7. Cook turkey approximately 2 - 2 3/4 hours (turkey is done when a meat thermometer inserted into the breast reads 170 degrees) Periodically baste turkey with juices in the pan, especially towards the end of the cooking.
    8. Let rest for 10 minutes, carve, and serve!

No thoughts on the stuffing yet - but you might try a website like Gluten Freeville to see if anyone has any stuffing recipes. From what I recall, there are recipes out there - just have to search around in the right places

Here is a picture of our turkey!

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erica057 View Post
    Ok. I suck a searching the forum, because I checked before posting. Thanks for the link

TheFoodLovers is offline Senior Member
    Ok. I suck a searching the forum, because I checked before posting. Thanks for the link
    Don't be too hard on yourself - I'm sure this will be a popular question in the coming weeks (and months). Having a thread dedicated to thanksgiving ideas will be super handy

stef is offline Member
    I have been thinking about this too. I'm considering as side dishes brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon, and roasted butternut squash.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I love Thanksgiving. Fall is my favourite season, and yay for October! I am ordering a fresh free range turkey this year which is a bit of a splurge. I've never had a turkey that didn't need to be defrosted! This will be my first primal Thanksgiving. I have family coming to visit and of course none of them are primal, so I am going to see if they actually notice that they are not eating carbs. I am hoping no one panics when they realize there are no mashed potatoes on the table. For stuffing I am thinking something sausage based with maybe cauliflower and chopped walnuts and whole cranberries with lots of thyme and sage.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leanne View Post
    I am hoping no one panics when they realize there are no mashed potatoes on the table.
    You could do mashed cauliflower instead: http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot....-potatoes.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast