Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 43

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Some people count, but I don't really get it except in the vaguest way. My approach would be to base each meal around a sensible serving of protein (meat/eggs/fish), pad out with plenty of non-starchy veges and include a little good fat. Maybe one piece of fruit a day.

Later you can branch out with more veges, dairy, fruit, nuts etc.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    thank-you I will probably keep my fruit for pudding later in the evening for now then. I started today with bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes, great start to the day!

imp
    imp is offline Senior Member
    I like your point about eat when you are hungry...it makes food so much more pleasent....stuffing food in your body when unneeded is unnecessary it just put more stress on your body...i would like to add that intermment fasting will help you guys understand this point! It fine tunes your eating habit to those of hunter gathering

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Tracey is offline Junior Member
    I just read MDA yesterday online and ordred the book at midnite. While I wait for it to come in ,a bout a week I think, any suggestions where to start. I had three fried eggs for breakfast and tea w honey.

If I typed in my calorie counter a salad and a dinner smoothie I make w fresh pinapple, kale, spinach and mango I am 190 carbs which is too high I think. I dont want to fail at this. I really dont. Any advice for the next week would be great. Thank you

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Low Carb Sample Menu | Mark's Daily Apple

There's tons of info at the Start Here button up top of the page.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

little12 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
    I just read MDA yesterday online and ordred the book at midnite. While I wait for it to come in ,a bout a week I think, any suggestions where to start. I had three fried eggs for breakfast and tea w honey.

If I typed in my calorie counter a salad and a dinner smoothie I make w fresh pinapple, kale, spinach and mango I am 190 carbs which is too high I think. I dont want to fail at this. I really dont. Any advice for the next week would be great. Thank you
    I found it helpful to look up what fruits were highest and lowest in carbs. It kind of helps you figure out what ones and in what quantities. You can do the same for veggies also!! I am using sparkpeople to track my food. Some people don't have to track, and I wish I was one of them. BUT, being only a few months into this myself, I find it helpful to track because there is alot we "think" we know about content in food (protein, carbs, fat) that is actually way off. Same with portions. It has def helped me!

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey View Post

Watch the amount of fruit you eat or your carb total will sky rocket. For the smoothies think leafy green veg, Lemon juice and Grapefruit juice.

severina418 is offline Junior Member
    Realistically speaking, is it possible to follow this lifestyle if I live off of disability? I know I won't be able to afford to buy organic items.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by severina418 View Post
    Realistically speaking, is it possible to follow this lifestyle if I live off of disability? I know I won't be able to afford to buy organic items.
    I say yes it's possible. Just do the best you can. Just leaving SAD and following the principles will take you a long way.

I am unemployed and this is what I do. I watch for sales, I buy what's in season, I eat a lot of eggs, ground beef, bison, lamb and organ meats. I get emails from the stores I like with their weekly sales and plan my week accordingly. I also buy in bulk when things are on sale and cook large amounts and freeze the leftovers.

I don't know what your income is, but if you need to add rice or lentils to your diet for financial reasons, then do that.

I really think you can do this.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by severina418 View Post
    Several months ago, I did a cost analysis of Primal. I chose an arbitrary menu, which I think is about 1400 calories, which is plenty for a middle-aged woman.

Breakfast: Two eggs, Berry smoothie with whey powder.
    Lunch: 1/3 lb ground beef with tomato sauce, two cooked veg, chocolate for a treat.
    Dinner: 3 oz canned salmon, 1 apple, 1 tsp butter.

If you use expensive local farmer's market ingredients, that's about $13.50 per day.
    If you use non-organic grocery store ingredients and watch the sales, that's about $9.50 per day.

For reference, a Value Meal from McDonald's can cost $6.50 just for lunch. Over the whole day, McD's could be more expensive than Primal.

I don't know whether that is doable for you, but that's a starting point. You could probably save a little more by buying in bulk.
    Frozen vegetables are your friend. They are cheap and already trimmed and cut up.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 43 of 46 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast