Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 42

blondie0216 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Love l this thread... been doing primal since end of jan this year.. successful so far with 26 lbs gone..I still want to go through all the posts here. Want to learn more about bone broth and fat intake. I have noticed lately I am hungrier than when i started primal so going through this thread has been helpful.

Thank you and i do appreciate all the knowledge and advice here!!

Suggestions for sleep issues would also be great if any for newbies like me..

jasperb is offline Member
    Hi, I'm new here and I'm looking for an alternative to fish oil for bumping up my DHA/EPA, are there any? I've heard of emu oil, does anyone have any experience with that? Is krill oil any good?

I have another omega 3 related question, yesterday I came across an article on mercola.com where he states

I would STRONGLY encourage you to avoid all omega-3 eggs as they are actually LESS healthy for you. Typically the animals are fed poor-quality sources of omega-3 fats that are already oxidized. But even if they were healthy, it turns out that omega-3 eggs do not last anywhere near as long as non-omega-3 eggs.
    He does not mention any research literature. Is this something I should be concerned about? Do they feed the chickens rancid flax seed oil and can this then result in oxidized pufa's in my eggs? It seems a bit far fetched.

bellincendio is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    I think it's more a matter of "your mileage may vary." Some folks can have a small handful (about 1/8 cup) of nuts and be completely satisfied. Others (**Jackie raises hand**) could blissfully eat an entire container of raw almonds and then snort the almond dust for good measure.
    This made me lol at my desk and I think my coworkers think I'm nuts (no pun intended) now!

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake
    Yes i read it as literally that and thought I'm not doing that
    For sample, you're at a restaurant, there are dinner rolls at the table ( bread rolls) and you're hungry so eat ( the bread).
    I would word that differently.

JonasWP is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skookum View Post
    You'll know you're getting enough fat when you're full. Do you eat your meal, and at the end, push the plate away and say, "Oof. I couldn't eat another bite."? Are you still full 2 or 4 or 8 hours later? Are you more energetic than you used to be? If you answer yes to these questions, you're getting enough fat.

If your meal doesn't fill you up, if you're hungry a few hours later, or if you don't have energy - you need to eat more fat.

It really is that simple.
    Does this apply while you are still switching from carb to fat? (the first 3 weeks)

MarisaLo is offline Junior Member
    I'm a "newb" to commenting on forums. I've definitely read them for years as a bystander. I was once a 274 lb. college student, now a 147 lb. nugget of energy and awesomeness. A LOT happened in between then and now. Lap-band surgery: 75 lbs. literally fell off as I slept. I was eating anything the would get through my tiny portal stomach. Sugar-free jello, protein shakes, oh and mashed potatoes. Yes I was thinner, but I knew nothing about nutrition. Zero. Long story short, gained 20 lbs., fell in love for the first time, major heartbreak, gained 15 lbs., HCG diet, crazy workout freak, cleansing, chinese food and booze, diet pills, gallbladder surgery, vegetarianism, starch diet, only fat diet, HCG, and now PRIMAL. I would go into these hermit modes of hiding out because I was trying to lose weight. I lost weight, but lost pretty much everything else that was good in my life. I avoided my friends and ended losing many of them. Longer story short, here are the most important tools I have acquired:

-You've got to quiet your mind and stop freakin' comparing your life and body to everyone else. Seriously, there is a little thing on Facebook where you can "unsubscribe" to people. No de-friending needed. If seeing someone else's "perfectly, shiny" life makes you feel down and dull....DO IT. No harm, no foul.
    -If it's not your weight, it's your job, or the fact that you don't have a relationship. My boyfriend told me very clearly one day, "If it's not one thing, it's another with you." That was a rude awakening.
    -Surround yourself with like-minded people. Go to motivational events and make friends. Talk to strangers (unless they are in an unmarked van).
    -Stop judging other people that don't live the same lifestyle or "see the light." I'll admit this is going to be a lifetime challenge for me. Newsflash: Old me and new me ARE the same person. I can stop acting like "she" didn't exist. The only way I can actually get passed feeling shame about who I used to be is to LOVE everything about her.
    *When I wasn't worried about losing weight; I was the life of the party, the comedic relief, and the loudest laugher in the room (also the sweatiest, but you know, whatever).*
    -Last but not least, stop waiting to be perfect to put yourself out there.

Once I got my health and energy right with primal food as my main fuel, I was finally able to work on all of the mental/spiritual shit that I was going through. THAT is what it takes to make this work long-term.

I obviously will always be a work in progress, but today feels pretty damn good. I wrote in a forum for the first time, not because I think I know it all. I did it because it's helping me heal. One day at a time, friends! PLEASE reply if you want to comment on any of my rambling

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarisaLo View Post
    ... here are the most important tools I have acquired:

-You've got to quiet your mind and stop freakin' comparing your life and body to everyone else. Seriously, there is a little thing on Facebook where you can "unsubscribe" to people. No de-friending needed. If seeing someone else's "perfectly, shiny" life makes you feel down and dull....DO IT. No harm, no foul.
    -If it's not your weight, it's your job, or the fact that you don't have a relationship. My boyfriend told me very clearly one day, "If it's not one thing, it's another with you." That was a rude awakening.
    -Surround yourself with like-minded people. Go to motivational events and make friends. Talk to strangers (unless they are in an unmarked van).
    -Stop judging other people that don't live the same lifestyle or "see the light." I'll admit this is going to be a lifetime challenge for me. Newsflash: Old me and new me ARE the same person. I can stop acting like "she" didn't exist. The only way I can actually get passed feeling shame about who I used to be is to LOVE everything about her.
    *When I wasn't worried about losing weight; I was the life of the party, the comedic relief, and the loudest laugher in the room (also the sweatiest, but you know, whatever).*
    -Last but not least, stop waiting to be perfect to put yourself out there.

Once I got my health and energy right with primal food as my main fuel, I was finally able to work on all of the mental/spiritual shit that I was going through. THAT is what it takes to make this work long-term.
    I like it! (especially "Talk to strangers (unless they are in an unmarked van)"!!)

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member
    thank you guys for this thread, it has brought me in from the edge yet, again! I am dealing with stress , and it really is terrible on your body! I recently had a slight downturn (only temporary)of my stressor( it is financial), but in that span I lost 26 lbs! so, it is proof to me that when i improve my situation, my body reaction for the better will return.

a question I have is . you all say eat when hungry , don't when not. I am never hungry anymore. and my mental quandary is, I have a fantastic frittata daily . loaded with spinach and at least two -four other veggies. 3 jumbo eggs,bacon. after this meal , I usually do not need dinner, usually force myself to eat it . why? well, all the blogs say, "make sure you are eating enough or your weight loss will stall. mine is in a constant stall.
    IF is so easy to do , but i fear it? another reason, lately for eating stuff. a piece of fruit some, yogurt, piece of chocolate is to make sure I am eating enough , but I think it is really just the stress. to add to my stress is a few RA issues and old joint injuries are severely hampering my work outs in a real negative way.

gaitless is offline Junior Member
    I just wanted to say thank you for this post.

I'm on day 2 of eating Primal. I'm hoping it will help with the pain/inflammation from my RA.

laurathegoth is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    great thread for us newbies

I'm going primal primarily for weightloss initially as I have at least 40lb to lose, I understand I should limit the amount of fruit I eat (which is going to be hard as I'm used to snacking on lots of fruit), should I be counting calories/carbs/fat?

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast