Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 41

buddylee13 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm still not losing any weight after being primal since Jan 4th. I'm a 43yo male who at 5'10" and 207lbs should be around 180. My daily caloric intake is at 1700 a day and I walk 4hrs a week and do body weight training twice a week. I use fit day as my calorie counter and usually my fat intake is around 60% of total intake. Just not sure if i'm doing anything wrong or not. No grains , Legumes or dairy since new years and a couple glasses of wine a week. Thanks for any insight

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Buddylee, you should be losing weight at that calorie load. I'm your size and lost a little too quickly at that level. I ended up targeting 2000 for a while and now am up to 2200. I started at 215 in June and now am 173. It seems like you are doing a good job so if I were you I would try Intermittent fasting. Last meal, no later than 8:00, 16 hours without food, 8 hour window for all of your calories. It won't take long before you really are not hungry before your 12:00 meal. Just make sure that you don't eat less - sometimes it's tough to get all the calories in. There are a lot of other good reasons for IF'ing but breaking a weight loss plateau is one of them.

buddylee13 is offline Junior Member
    thanks black timber, I will give that a try. this morning i had 2 eggs and 4 slices of bacon and for lunch i had spaghetti squash(1.5 cups) with some kale and chicken breast(5oz) cooked in coconut oil and tonight i'll have 7 oz of chuck roast and some veggies. sometimes i'll have for a snack almond muffins which are 186 calories each ....just to give an idea of what I'm eating. Thanks again Black Timber

jmsmall is offline Senior Member

Salt helps many people with "carb flu."

Volek and Phinney have a treatment for carb flu: Salt. They say the kidneys switch over when carbs get lower and dump sodium and water. I drink a cup or two of full salt broth most days and salt my food heavily and did not get the carb flu. Salt has had the same treatment as saturated fat by my colleagues in medicine. My blood pressure is 115/75 with all this salt, so I am not the slightest bit worried. Give it a try! reference: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living.

PrimalBelle is offline Junior Member
    Great info on this thread. Thank you!

stretch72 is offline Junior Member
    My first post - hi everyone.

This is my second week of going primal and I've been eagerly digesting everything I can read, starting with Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas and now I'm half way through The Primal Blueprint. Both books are truly inspiring and I look forward to learning more. I went primal as it just 'made sense'. Never have I read something that resonated so much that I almost started to cry when I thought about how much I have tortured by body over the years.

I haven't done this to lose weight as I'm 6'4 and was 191 lbs when I started but I've found the weight falling off anyway so maybe that 6 pack I've always wanted isn't such a dream! I've always maintained a reasonable level of fitness with surfing, jogging, mountain biking and cross-fit so the exercise side of things makes perfect sense to me.

The carb crazy life is behind me now, my wife is onboard and we're making gradual changes with the kids. We've even sourced primal style food for our dog based on all natural ingredients, meat and veges and no grains! I can't even imagine wanting to go back to the way I ate

I've read a bit here about people experiencing a 'carb-flu' but can't seem to find a good explanation. I found after a week of going primal that I suddenly woke up one day feeling like I was hit by a train - no energy, splitting headache. This persisted for 2 days and I'm now starting to feel better but still a bit down on energy. I'm assuming this is the body adjusting to the lack of blood sugar whilst it adjusts to a more ketonic method for utilising energy? Any info on this would be appreciated.

As an aside, I now find it really hard to sit there and watch people gorging themselves on carbs without saying 'do you know what you are doing to your body?'. We have been blind-sided by mainstream media and the health and food industries for so long, I feel a strong desire to make my voice heard. However, I'll focus on myself and my family first and then see what I can do to influence those around me - all without trying to sound like a fanatic!

Looking forward to the journey.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch72 View Post
    My first post - hi everyone.

This is my second week of going primal and I've been eagerly digesting everything I can read, starting with Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas and now I'm half way through The Primal Blueprint. Both books are truly inspiring and I look forward to learning more. I went primal as it just 'made sense'. Never have I read something that resonated so much that I almost started to cry when I thought about how much I have tortured by body over the years.

I haven't done this to lose weight as I'm 6'4 and was 191 lbs when I started but I've found the weight falling off anyway so maybe that 6 pack I've always wanted isn't such a dream! I've always maintained a reasonable level of fitness with surfing, jogging, mountain biking and cross-fit so the exercise side of things makes perfect sense to me.

The carb crazy life is behind me now, my wife is onboard and we're making gradual changes with the kids. We've even sourced primal style food for our dog based on all natural ingredients, meat and veges and no grains! I can't even imagine wanting to go back to the way I ate

I've read a bit here about people experiencing a 'carb-flu' but can't seem to find a good explanation. I found after a week of going primal that I suddenly woke up one day feeling like I was hit by a train - no energy, splitting headache. This persisted for 2 days and I'm now starting to feel better but still a bit down on energy. I'm assuming this is the body adjusting to the lack of blood sugar whilst it adjusts to a more ketonic method for utilising energy? Any info on this would be appreciated.

As an aside, I now find it really hard to sit there and watch people gorging themselves on carbs without saying 'do you know what you are doing to your body?'. We have been blind-sided by mainstream media and the health and food industries for so long, I feel a strong desire to make my voice heard. However, I'll focus on myself and my family first and then see what I can do to influence those around me - all without trying to sound like a fanatic!

Looking forward to the journey.
    Welcome. Nora is awesome. Another info source you may find interesting is the blog of Dr. Georgia Ede called "Diagnosis: Diet".

tigga is offline Junior Member
    Hi,
    I'm Nic, 50 and 185lb's. I'd ideally like to be 158lb. Have been 'there' and back several times in the last two years. Trouble is it wasn't sustainable. Counting calories is nasty. I did do Dukan but didn't then reintroduce carbs slowly... Had such a need for them having low fat diet there was nothing to keep me to it.
    I've been doing the ketogenic diet for only four days now and had mid tones yesterday. This morning though I went to the gym... My ketones went back to normal...? Argh. Now, later in the day I've had slight pink... Did training HIIT (20 mins) & weights (for 40) mess it up?
    I've also lost nothing - nada! I drink plenty of water 8 glasses a day and have been very careful with my ratios.
    70% fat
    25% protein
    5% carbs - from salad/veg and cheese/eggs/mayonnaise
    My carb intake amounts to approx 20g per day.
    I don't know why I am not losing weight yet... Have I messed up my body before with silly diets. This one seems to keep me happy and I've just had a wonderful chicken breast fried in proper butter and a green salad. I'm later going to make a desert using unsweetened cocoa powder, full fat cream and a spoonful of Splenda. Had it last night too after finding the recipe online... Tasted delish!
    I do miss my nightly glass of red wine with my dinner but I'd rather be thinner than have it...

Anyone with advice I'd be really grateful.
    If there's anything I've not told you and might be the answer to my woes don't hesitate to shout at me....
    Thanks guys x

Just found this thread and want to mark my spot. Probably somewhere in these 41 pages already:

great stuff for anyone new to learn about:

magnesium
    coconut oil
    getting enough salt
    vitamin D
    bone broth

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigga View Post
    I don't know why I am not losing weight yet...
    Any sleep, stress, or medication issues?
    In my observation it's a rare individual who can do anaerobics (HIIT & weights) while ketogenic without lots of stress or other symptoms. My first idea would be to add some unrefined carb after workouts, or alternately ease up on the workouts and try fewer meals.

What's in UK mayonnaise btw? If it's a refined oil I would skip it and make homemade.

Page 41 of 46 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast