Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 40

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Oh yeah, you can have too much fat! You can too much of anything. But as long as you're not stuffing yourself and having way more than you need (for your activity level), I don't see any problem with your macro breakdown--mine is similar, maybe a bit higher fat since I'm lower carb in the winter (less fresh fruits around than in summer).

I'm the same way with the dark chocolate--though when I'm getting enough good nutrition and SLEEP I feel less inclined to the sweets. It might slow fat loss a little, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as it doesn't get to be 1-2 squares 3 times a day (been there too!). I've heard it said that having the carbs in the evening is the preferred time.

My fat loss started getting noticeable at about 3 weeks in, which is when I did my first IF (empowering!) and came out of the carb flu. Then it was steady for about 4 months, and I've plateau-ed at a good weight. Good luck and good health!

Tally is offline Junior Member
    I have huge chocolate cravings too at night (partly habit I suspect) which I now pacify with a cup of hot cocoa.
    Pure cocoa powder, no sugar, hot water and a bit of full fat organic milk. It's the chocolate equivalent to an espresso...

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    I have huge chocolate cravings too at night (partly habit I suspect) which I now pacify with a cup of hot cocoa.
    Pure cocoa powder, no sugar, hot water and a bit of full fat organic milk. It's the chocolate equivalent to an espresso...
    I like that idea.
    IMO the "fluff", (that's what I call treats like dark chocolate, nut butters, dates, banana chips and sweet Paleo home made goodies) is better consumed only once in a blue moon. I hate sounding "out there", but I don't think Grok has had regular daily access to treats like that. He was probably lucky to get the basics half the time when he was hungry.

I kind of have have it just once i a while (only when I feel like spending extra $) approach towards foods like that, and mostly stick with the basics even now that I've been eating this way for quite some time.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tally View Post
    Sounds like a good idea! Where do you get the cocoa powder? I imagine there are some that are better than others...?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Cocoa powder can be found at the grocery store in the baking aisle. Check the ingredients to make sure it's nothing but cocoa powder (usually processed with alkali to "Dutch" it.) Go for organic, free trade if you're really paranoid or worried about that stuff. I'm usually good with Hershey's though.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Meggo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    Oh yeah, you can have too much fat! You can too much of anything. But as long as you're not stuffing yourself and having way more than you need (for your activity level), I don't see any problem with your macro breakdown--mine is similar, maybe a bit higher fat since I'm lower carb in the winter (less fresh fruits around than in summer).

I'm the same way with the dark chocolate--though when I'm getting enough good nutrition and SLEEP I feel less inclined to the sweets. It might slow fat loss a little, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, as long as it doesn't get to be 1-2 squares 3 times a day (been there too!). I've heard it said that having the carbs in the evening is the preferred time.

My fat loss started getting noticeable at about 3 weeks in, which is when I did my first IF (empowering!) and came out of the carb flu. Then it was steady for about 4 months, and I've plateau-ed at a good weight. Good luck and good health!
    Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely not stuffing myself. I net an average of 1,500 calories per day and I'm pretty active. I've lost 5 lbs so far, have about 15 to go. I'm in no hurry, just don't want to shoot myself in the foot and steady progress helps dedication.

The horrible headaches went away after a few days, but I wonder if I am still experiencing some of the low-carb flu. I teach Zumba and I'm having trouble keeping my energy up throughout the entire hour. My arms especially get very tired. I don't want to eat more carbs, but I am considering it on Zumba days.

Ajbu10 is offline Junior Member
    I have a few questions, I have been knocking around going primal for a few months now it's just difficult with a Two year old and a husband who eats everything and looks like a tooth pick.Well, I have finally decided to committ and get seriously healthy, but I am pregnant. About 11 weeks. Is there anything I should be careful with or keep in mind?

Blobbydon is offline Junior Member
    Hi I float around in the back ground of this forum and read as much as I can. I have read the primal blue print but need to ask how do you get you fat/protein/carbs ratios from.. Or do you see what suits you? I have started using myfitnesspal app to log my food.. I have sorry been eating primal for over a month but want to start tweaking it. I know cutting dairy is from paleo ,but do people suggest to do this to fat fat burn? How do you work out how many calories a day you have?? I know some or maybe all these are answered on the forum but I've read so much on so many different threads it all seems to start to confuse me as some people say one thing and others seem to say another .. Just a bit of help in the right direction

Thanks in advance Dave

Betty_Groker is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Another alternative "one sentence summary" could be, if you're outside with nothing but a pointy stick, could you get it? Pigeon - yup, yam - yeah, peanut butter? Errr.....
    This made me laugh so hard, I love it!

bmare38 is offline Junior Member
    Can I eat oatmeal? I just joined and am reading reading to learn. Thanks, Barb

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast