Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 39

railer66 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi folks

I discovered this interesting form of living/eating just yesterday while visiting an eye doctor for an in depth eye exam.
    Just last month I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes,high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I am taking daily dosages of meds to control all of this but in all honesty I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating pills every day and hoping they take care of the problems.
    Since the bad news from my Dr,I have changed my life around to a small degree and I have actually lost 20 lbs but I really don't feel that this is enough.
    I know you touched on the meds issue but I guess I just want to make sure that I should continue taking my meds as perscribed and continue monitoring blood glucose levels as if I weren't doing anything out of the norm.
    I am really interested in changing my lifestyle for the better and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by railer66 View Post
    Hi folks

I discovered this interesting form of living/eating just yesterday while visiting an eye doctor for an in depth eye exam.
    Just last month I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes,high blood pressure and high cholesterol.I am taking daily dosages of meds to control all of this but in all honesty I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating pills every day and hoping they take care of the problems.
    Since the bad news from my Dr,I have changed my life around to a small degree and I have actually lost 20 lbs but I really don't feel that this is enough.
    I know you touched on the meds issue but I guess I just want to make sure that I should continue taking my meds as perscribed and continue monitoring blood glucose levels as if I weren't doing anything out of the norm.
    I am really interested in changing my lifestyle for the better and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Going paleo or primal can partially or fully reverse the effects of type II diabetes. Good luck with living healthy.

TATER1000 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    It's taken me a couple of reads to realize that "rolls" is a verb, not a type of bread. The sentence "Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat!" is a little eyebrow raising when you make that mistake
    I had a image of hot rolls and butter dancing in my head...lol

SAGrokette is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice! Very much appreciated! Very useful!

Shelley is offline Junior Member
    This is a great thread, thank you. I still have a question that I can't find an answer to by doing a search. I hope this is the right place to post it.

My question is in reference to #7) Eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not. I understand this concept and recognize that Primal doesn't care too much about caloric intake. My problem is that I am very rarely hungry. I suspect that if I only ate when I was hungry, my caloric intake would be really really low. As it is now, I eat when I think I ought to because it has been awhile or when my energy begins lagging. Eating this way I am still only consuming around 800 calories a day. I am losing weight at a rate of 1.5-2.0 pounds per week and have a BMI of 25. Still have weight to lose. I am mostly sedentary, but i walk at least 20 minutes a day and have definitely incorporated more intentional movement into my day. I am looking for some guidance here.

I have been eating clean for at least 3 months. I wasn't Primal, therefore my animal protein and fat consumption was quite low. I was still eating oats and quinoa until 6 weeks ago when I discovered PB. Six weeks ago I very happily began eating animal proteins, quit paying attention to fat content, and dropped the rest of the grains. My daily averages are 54% (49g) fat, 26% (68g) carbs, and 20% (40g) protein.

I guess ultimately my question is should I really wait to eat until I am hungry? I suspect it would be awhile. Should I just keep doing what I am? Is the lags in energy I feel sometimes hunger? I am looking for growling and hollow. I have been hungry before, so I do know what it feels like, but not since I went Primal. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,
    Shelley

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You don't necessarily need growling and hollow. So long as it's beyond snacky and what you want is primal, I'd say go for it. That said, do what works for you. If waiting until you're hungry doesn't work, or your hunger cues are off, by all means, stick to a set schedule.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Shelley is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the response and reassurance. I will just keep doing what I am until it doesn't work anymore. Maybe I am just really efficient at burning fat and am living off myself. Certainly have enough of that to sustain me.

lifechanger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TATER1000 View Post
    I had a image of hot rolls and butter dancing in my head...lol
    Me too. I thought I had misunderstood the plan. That an occasional roll was consistent with Paleo. !!!

Lisa is offline Junior Member
    Ah ha! Just found this thread too. Thank you... and sorry for asking so many questions that have clearly been asked a bazillion time before.

Meggo is offline Junior Member
    I am only 3 weeks in, happy to be here! Sorry if these questions have been answered already...

I am being very good, only whole foods, haven't touched any wheat, grains or processed foods since I began. I'm eating a ton of good fats, etc etc...

2 questions:

1. Is it possible to eat too much fat? I can't seem to eat enough protein for a 50/30/20 split. I'm more often 65/20/15 (carbs between 50 - 80 grams)

2. I have a habit of wanting something sweet late at night. Most nights I will have 1-2 squares of 70-80% dark chocolate.
    Is this going to slow my fat loss?

Thanks!

Page 39 of 46 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast