Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 38

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Greanybeeny, you may not need to lose weight at all. Please read Mark's book and do the weight exercises 2-3 times per week while you eat primal. You will see an impressive change in your body composition in no time. Measure your waist before you start so you can asses real progress. Lose fat, gain muscle.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting this. I'm unclear on daily amounts still.

Can you provide some guidelines of how much protein, fat and veggie carbs.

I'm on Day 11 -- 100% Palao -- no cheats. I'm in fat burning because I've been an ultra athlete so I know how a body responds. I've been off sugar for 8 months.

I am 48 yrs old
    5'10
    Starting Weight: 160lbs
    Current Weight: 156lbs
    Goal Weight: 145 lbs
    Approx body fat: 22%
    Goal body fat: 17%

I run and walk approx 40km per week
    I cycle easy (40km) weekly.

Any thoughts on amounts of the three groups of food that I should be consuming in order to drop the weight fast?

I've also noticed that I may be eating too much meat/fat --- not sure what the right amount is.

I'm not eating fruits/grains nor Dairy.

I use coconut oil, milk and olive oil.

I'm eating maybe 10-12 nuts per week.

Any of your thoughts/experience would help me immensely.

Cheers,
    louisa

kiltgirl is offline Junior Member
    This thread is amazing and definitely will be one of my main go-to places when am feeling lost...only been on PB for just under a fortnight but feel amazing (apart from last night's garlic bread which is over and done with now)

I have to say that this is one of the best online communities i've ever come across in terms of support and patience for newbies..

Am using FitDay to start with, until i get my confidence that what i'm eating is ok and, it's brilliant, also makes me realise i need to get more vitamins D and E...although not sure where they would come from...prob the health food shop!

duckhunter is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice naidaknight I am brand new and a little overwhelmed this helped out a ton.

abettess is offline Junior Member
    Hi Grizz,

With regards to your fat intake.

Meat is more lean protein. When I cook meat and I have served it on the plate, I also drizzle a bit of olive oil on the top or add 1/2 an avocado.

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    naiadknight

I still have questions re: # 1

* We have meat everyday [a source of fat]
    * We have Olive Oil in our salads every day
    * I eat a handful of nuts every day
    * Mrs Grizz cooks with bacon grease or Coconut Oil
    * We put a tablespoon of Flax Oil in our smoothie

I assume we are, therefore getting more than enough fat.

Opinions?

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

Savayla is offline Junior Member
    I have been primal for 2 months but there are a few things that worry me.

1. Fat is fuel !! I have read it and agree, however, it is not that easy getting organic fat, and all chemicals that are fed or injected into animals, are stored in their fat. Which is why organic butter and cream is so NB. So, how do you go about finding organic duck fat, etc etc ?

2. Has anyone ever done any studies on asians and their diet ? I lived in SEA for many years, and their staple is rice, which is a grain. Very low protein. Is it a misconception that heart problems and health problems only started arising in these countries after the introduction of fast food chains ?

3. I have two daughters aged 10 and 12. They are following this with me as I feed them . However, I am battling to get carbs into my youngest as she only eats raw carrots, cucumber, peas and beans, and fruit. I cannot get other veges into her, no cooked veg, and I can't see her eating 150g of the above every day. She will definately go on strike !!

4. Is there a table somewhere , where I can work out how many carbs I am taking in ? I think I am taking too few.

Thanks in advance everyone. This is truly a journey where you need all the help you can get, and I am thankful that it is here.

I think that is all. These have been bothering me for a while.

digital_ruse is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for this thread it's wonderful,
    I have a few questions, hopefully they haven't been answered yet, I read most of the thread but not all 38 pages.

I only just made the switch to primal eating, so I'm wondering about the early stages, mostly:

1. Is there a change in workout recovery time? I lift weights, and do HIIT / Bootcamp type workouts, and I'm wondering what to expect.

2. I feel like I've been living my life in the "carb flu" stage (groggy, low energy, terrible concentration, rarely getting a really go night's sleep, which are major reasons for the change) - has anyone who felt like that found that the carb flu stage didn't last as long? I'm not really feeling any different, but I'm wondering if this is an experience others have had. I never ate a ton of sugar anyway, but I did eat break, grains, granola, ect.

3. Re: the point about not messing with the diet at first: I'd love to keep dairy in - I've been keeping my greek yogurt and some cheese, kind of as a way to transition easier and because i'd really had a hard time cutting it. I guess what I'm wondering is if the keeping in of some dairy is considered messing with the food plan, even though many who eat primal seem to keep it in? Am I undermining myself by not cutting it initially?

Thanks so much!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Digital-
    1. No clue. Test it and see.
    2. Many report no carb flu, many report carb flu worse than any real flu they ever had. You may be a lucky one.
    3. Primal is different from paleo in that it allows for dairy, where paleo doesn't. By all means, keep it in during your initial phase. I did.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

digital_ruse is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Digital-
    1. No clue. Test it and see.
    2. Many report no carb flu, many report carb flu worse than any real flu they ever had. You may be a lucky one.
    3. Primal is different from paleo in that it allows for dairy, where paleo doesn't. By all means, keep it in during your initial phase. I did.
    Great, #3 was kind of what I expected, but I wanted to double check in case it was just wishful thinking!
    And here's to hoping #2 is just that case. I guess I'll know in a week or so, it seems to happen fairly quickly for most people.

Knic is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I needed this tonight. Thanks for the great advice!

Page 38 of 46 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast