Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 37

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you only want to eat once a day, then only eat once a day (providing no history of eating disorders.) Different people have different needs. So long as you keep your caloric level where it should be, it doesn't matter when you eat it or how often.
    I eat a fair amount of lean meats myself. It's a matter of making sure you get enough calories from fat per day, but how you do it (aside from making sure their good fats) is your call. Add fat to it, or get your fat at a different meal. It doesn't hafta be all bacon and steak.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

KB29 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks guys...I guess that's my concern, that I'm not getting enough calories from fat. The lack of hunger is probably an indication I'm getting enough calories; and there's no grains, starches, etc. coming in so the calories should be mostly coming from protein and/or fat*. Am I on the right track with that thinking? I certainly feel much better.

*Like I said, having a hard time cutting out the couple beers or a glass of whisky a night.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You should be fine with that. If you're truly concerned, check out a calorie counter website and check an average day. Then go from there.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KB29 View Post
    Thanks guys...I guess that's my concern, that I'm not getting enough calories from fat. The lack of hunger is probably an indication I'm getting enough calories; and there's no grains, starches, etc. coming in so the calories should be mostly coming from protein and/or fat*. Am I on the right track with that thinking? I certainly feel much better.

*Like I said, having a hard time cutting out the couple beers or a glass of whisky a night.
    Sounds like all is well and you are on the right track. All of us eat quite different diets, in fact, and my "massive" fat and your "massive" fat intake may be pretty different things. 50% of calories from fat is relatively easy and doesn't require any cream-drinking craziness, and 40% is still very PB compatible and not far off the government recs.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

KB29 is offline Junior Member
    Man...I guess I spoke too soon. I was hungry as hell all day yesterday. Over the course of the day had four eggs, probably 3.4 lb of bacon, two avocados, bowl of salad/veggies, some fajita meat and some macadamia nuts. By my count I was still under 2000 calories, and I assume under 50 carbs possibly less.

Not as hungry today now, though

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't sound like very much food. I remember those first "real" hunger signals, my brain was not quite sure what was going on - plenty of nutrition around, but no constant sugar intake. I had nights where I woke up RAVENOUS at 4 am and made huge omelettes with whatever happened to be in the fridge. Then I had days (familiar by now) where I just didn't get hungry much at all. Then you realize, that's called "normal functioning" and it takes a while to get used to. Welcome to normal! Also, if you get cramps, take potassium and magnesium.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

agibson74 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you sooo much I just finished reading TPB and I am ready to get started!

cureforcancer is offline Junior Member
    so fat is good? I have always been told otherwise............

lumarvl is offline Junior Member
    Fun read, looks like the community here is one of the biggest aids during a PB transition.

What I've taken from this thread is the need to not dig too deep into the rabbit hole. For the analytics out there, such as myself, it's easy to try to understand and know everything before relaxing. I've been tempted to buy a food scale, count calories, read, re-read, read some more, find more to read, etc. Although I think we need to take our health into our own hands, it shouldn't replace a social life.

I do tend to think this whole "health" thing could become a career, though. For every person who finds this site there's an increasingly large number of people who are in poor health, which could largely be due to a SAD diet. I find this whole health thing fascinating more for helping others, rather than just myself. The SAD diet can change for the better. There is a need to spread the primal/paleo message.

Opening gyms, nutritional shops, primal restaurants, going into food politics (FDA / USDA), writing books, creating blogs, and much more are all potential places to jump into. We're still a democracy at the end of the day.

PrimalGeneExpresser is offline Junior Member
    So, I'm a newbie. 39, 5'2", 120 lbs. The Primal Blueprint book was recommended to me by my doctor because all my medical complaints (tired, constantly hungry, could eat two salads a day for several days and not lose weight at all, moody, insomnia, generally felt like mild crap most of the time) might have been due to my diet. Even though I ate healthy carbs, I ate low fat as well. I got the book, read the whole thing, bought the cookbook, and have been primal for a week now...and I have never eaten so well in my life!!

First off, I had/have the carb flu (intermittantly tired, headaches), but it is starting to subside some, and my energy is returning (the first four days I was dead tired). I've lost 5 pounds in a week, mostly water I suspect, but it was very motivating.

For the last three days I've stalled on the same weight, and what I am afraid of is that since I don't have much to lose (just 5-8 more pounds) it might take a long time coming off. Because I am so short (petite), my caloric needs are different from average, but I make sure my ratios of fat/protein/carb are correct.

My plan is to try IF in a couple of weeks, or whenever I feel like it really.

By the way, I am an Anatomy & Physiology teacher, and everything I read in Mark's book made TOTAL sense from a scientific perspective. I am a true believer in our genes being essentially the same as they were with our distant ancestors, and new genetic evidence is constantly confirming that it's not just what genes you have but how much those genes are exressed (i.e. how much the strands uncoil to be translated into proteins and enzymes which then control your metabolism and organ function). This ultimately means our genes are to some degree "trainable" Yay!

Page 37 of 45 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast