Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 29

Wild-Thing is offline Junior Member
    Ok here I am on page 29..new to this forum. Seems like I've seen some of you some where before. hmmmm.... I was 50 pound over weight. I did the popular weight lifting diet and exercise..CW to the max..lost 5 pounds maybe and always gained it back if I quit working out for a couple days. . My blood sugar was hovering at the 100's in the morning and 120's during the day. My doctor of course says...you are borderline..and he says nothing else except to do what I am already doing..... What is the definition of insanity??? He was ..NO HELP AT ALL>.

.so I went to the information highway and helped myself. I read Gary Taubes books, listened to Latest in Paleo podcasts, bought both of Mark Sissons Primal Blueprint and cookbook. They all Make sense. I have also listened to most of the podcast of the Ancestral Symposium out in LA. I have read numerous blogs.
    Memorial day I began. I bought a quarter of a grass fed beef, a whole venison,(friend shot it)I paid for processing.I found free range eggs and chickens, and a small stand that sells Amish grown produce. I was real sick for a month. Everything ached. I told my husband I thought I had some disease. I did not know about this forum. I did not know who to call or ask.It hurt to sit, to stand to bend. I just ached. I was determined though. Then after about a month,I began to lose weight, fast. 23 pounds in the next two months. My blood pressure plummeted. I called my doctor because I was dizzy. He had me cut them in half and then cut them out completely. I can BREATHE through my nose. Post nasal drip is gone.

I ate an Atkins bar at a friends house yesterday and my knees swelled and my hips started to ache again...THE WAY I ALWAYS FELT BEFORE I STARTED THIS>
    A Learning experience for me . It is the first time I have had anything with more than one ingredient in it since Memorial day. Hopefully the last time. Pain has a way of helping me remember , it's just not worth it.

I am not sure what to do for the workout part. I love to lift weights. At one point I was doing 500 pound leg presses a couple years ago. I am happy to have found this forum and I will keep reading till I find the answers I am looking for. I bought 2 kayaks this spring. I am going hiking in the Smokies in a week and zip lining. I LOVE to be outdoors. I was sure that I was getting too old to do things I loved. Not any longer. It gets better every day.

I am glad to be here. I'll try to find answers before I ask questions. Thanks in advance...

Paleobird Guest
    Wild thing, first of all welcome. Sounds like you are doing great. Have you downloaded the Primal Blueprint Fitness Guide yet? It's available on this site as a free ebook.

Harp32Wil is offline Junior Member
    read the above. You're not a unique snowflake.

Paleobird..thank you so much. I will do that . PS..I have four followers already. A friend who has lymphoma. My eye doctor and his wife and a 400 pound father of four who was in my youth group as a teen ager. He plans on losing 100 pounds this year. He has his whole family eating Paleo.

swimgoddess , If there is Peanuts only on the ingredient list, I would keep it. At least until it is gone. But if it has hydrogenated oils and sugar or corn syrup, it should go into the trash.
    I cleaned out the pantry and freezer. I sent boxes of food to a house with 4 hungry teenagers. After reading so much info about processed foods, insulin and the like, I think if it was still in my house, You could not force it down my throat. I made a commitment to myself. I think I'm worth it. So are you !

wendywoman71 is offline Junior Member
    I've come to the Primal eating plan very new and have Celiac Disease so I am not going through carb flu just because I don't eat much besides occasional rice and potatoes and gluten free cookies. My big one was giving up soda and sweets but I must say, I've quit smoking AND started this program 4 days ago and I feel GREAT!!!

Two questions: 1) I had bad charley horses last night after my 30 minute walk. Anything that can help with that in the future?
    2) I am getting extremely bad breath!! I mean enough to choke a horse, it's so bad. I brush, floss and use mouthwash but NOTHING helps. Drinking unsweetened mint herbal tea right now to try and combat it. Is anyone else having this problem?????

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wendywoman71 View Post
    Two questions: 1) I had bad charley horses last night after my 30 minute walk. Anything that can help with that in the future?
    2) I am getting extremely bad breath!! I mean enough to choke a horse, it's so bad. I brush, floss and use mouthwash but NOTHING helps. Drinking unsweetened mint herbal tea right now to try and combat it. Is anyone else having this problem?????
    1) get a magnesium supplement, I prefer Natural Calm, but you might want to ease into it because may give the runs
    2) ketone breath. It's common in the beginning. Your body isn't used to burn ketones for fuel yet, so the excess spills out in your urine and/or breath. It will pass.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

TPG
    TPG is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungrazer View Post
    1) get a magnesium supplement, I prefer Natural Calm, but you might want to ease into it because may give the runs
    2) ketone breath. It's common in the beginning. Your body isn't used to burn ketones for fuel yet, so the excess spills out in your urine and/or breath. It will pass.
    How long does it take for the bad breath to go away usually? I have had mine for 3 weeks and I`m ready to adapt! On the other hand, its good to know my body is burning ketones.

Bamaphotopro is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This needs to be a sticky. Awesome job.
    +1
    Bamaphotopro - Wedding & Portrait Photographer, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Age 56 - Quad Bypass Survivor, Sept. 16, 2005
    Went Primal - 8/22/2011 - 218 lbs.
    9/13/2011 - 206 lbs. (Wife Noticed!)
    Next Goal - 200 lbs. - Leaner & Stronger

http://www.momentsnoticed.com

Facebook Personal Profile (Friend Me!):
    http://www.facebook.com/Bamaphotopro