Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 28

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Goldstar- EAT. MORE. FAT. Unless you bump up your fat, you simply aren't going to have enough caloric intake to sustain yourself on purely meats and veggies.

Windigo- Experiment and find out. That is one area where it varies so widely, as different bodies need different approaches. Some HAVE TO go cold turkey on anything even resembling CW food. Some can ease their way in by cutting out a biscuit at a time and be completely Primal only after 8 weeks of slowly adjusting. Make a SMALL batch and see what it does to you.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, naiadknight. You're awesome. I'm glad to be giving this another go and am dedicated to making this work. I appreciate the wisdom of all the fine members here.

chris q is offline Junior Member
    I wish I'd found this thread last year. Seriously.

Since last October I've tried to "go primal" four times, and Tim Ferriss' "Slow Carb" diet once. (Slow carb is essentially Paleo with beans added "for caloric density"). I failed every time.

Carb Flu for me wasn't fuzzy head and headaches, it was sharp swings to anxiety and depression, which I'm prone to anyway. I could never understand why I didn't lose anything, (and why I gained 4lb in 13 days on Slow Carb).

Turns out that I missed rule #1. "Eat More Fat."

I read PB. I read Robb Wolf. For some reason neither of them triggered that bit of knowledge in me. My primal meal was usually boneless, skinless (fatless) chicken breast and a baby spinach salad with some vinaigrette. Occasionally some eggs, but really it was very low fat because I just didn't understand that I needed to replace carbs with fat. I just re-read PB last week with the intention of figuring out how I missed that. I can now see where he says to eat fat, and I can understand how it probably wasn't specific enough to trigger my brain.

To any newbie who is reading this, if you only get one bit of information out of this thread, make it that one. You need to eat significant amounts of saturated fats. Probably from animal sources like beef and pork, but also Coconut Milk and some nuts.

I'm starting again tomorrow, and there wont be any chicken breast in sight.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris q View Post
    My primal meal was usually boneless, skinless (fatless) chicken breast and a baby spinach salad with some vinaigrette. Occasionally some eggs, but really it was very low fat because I just didn't understand that I needed to replace carbs with fat.

I'm starting again tomorrow, and there wont be any chicken breast in sight.
    That was me, also. My new IR diet said "moderate fats/moderate proteins/low carbs" and it was not sustainable calorie-wise with the mental image I had of what that would look like in reality. Especially since I was coming from the experience of eating low-fat chicken, greens, and rice meals. I went shopping right away and started buying more pork and coconut milk, never dreaming anyone could eat this much fat. The before and after pics thread is awesome, too, showing the proof in the primal puddin'. That's a fun thread worth checking out!

I'm still having a little trouble visualizing the actual daily meal plan, though, and welcome any guidance from the veterans of the forum. (I haven't got the books yet.) For a woman of 119 pounds what would a typical breakfast, lunch and dinner look like to maintain weight and not lose any? I mean, is a TBSP of coconut oil, 2 eggs or a palm sized piece of meat, and a ton of virtually negative calorie veggies and fruit enough? It doesn't seem like it would be and yet that is what I am picturing right now. Would I have to snack in between to get enough daily calories? How would that image need to be altered, added coconut milk, larger piece of meat? Should I really only be eating sweet potatoes after exercising and just fruits and veggies the rest of the time?

I am very concerned as I do NOT want to lose weight this time. Chris I know you can do this! We can do this!
    Last edited by Goldstar; 08-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    last time i checked, i was 119 lbs (5'4"). This is a typical day for me - and i really do tend to stick in a rut eating-wise - drives my husband nuts!

breakfast:
    1 handformed medium size patty of pork breakfast sausage, cooked in bacon fat (i do a bunch one day & keep them in the fridge & zap in the AM)
    1 cup of double espresso, black

lunch:
    large salad of 1 fresh jalapeno, 1 carrot, 3 cremini mushrooms, 1/4 head of broccoli, chicken, 1/2 avocado, baby spinach, sprinkle of cumin, dressed with lime juice & olive oil
    seasonal fruit - right now it's blueberries & peach

dinner:
    extremely variable. might be a can of herring, chicken, or a 1/2 lb of sausage w/ sauerkraut & habanero sauce. This week i cooked a big mess of green chile stew with sweet potatoes & ground beef, so i'm sure that will be dinner for several nights. If i've exercised, sometimes i allow myself to eat plaintain chips. Usu once/wk we have porkchops or steak or $$ wild caught salmon. Or maybe what i call "italian stuff" - 3 bell peppers & 1 red onion with 1lb of italian sausage & 1lb of link sausage w/ a 28 oz can of diced tomatoes & italian seasonings & parm. Sometime i like eggs n sausage n baby spinach for dinner. that's usu when hubs is out of town.

i drink waaay too much alcohol, minimum 3 beers every night. need to cut it down b/c we really went overboard on vacation a couple of weeks ago - i'm seeing it now as pudge!

anyway - other than the alcohol - that kind of eating has kept me basically at 119 lbs over the past year.

also - forgot to add - in the winter i usu have a tbs of local honey (i really believed it helped me with seasonal allergies), and for some reason in winter, i cannot stay away from kale - i make a huge amt of it on Monday (cooked in olive oil & butter w/ garlic & white wine & chicken broth) and eat it during the week at supper til it's gone. Husband can't stand it so it's mine all mine! But for some reason i have no craving at all for kale when it's hot.
    Last edited by Catherine; 08-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.

primal_momma is offline Junior Member
    Will this diet make your hair fall out? Or stop shedding? What should I be concerned about? thanks!

primal_momma is offline Junior Member
    saturated fats? really?!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Should help with hair concerns. FAT IS YOUR FRIEND. Saturated fat and monounsaturated are your best bets, as most polyunsaturated oils are bad news (search the site and you'll find out what I mean.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

swimgoddess07 is offline Junior Member
    what are your thoughts on peanut butter? good or bad? i am trying to clean out my pantry of all the things i can't eat. so there isn't any temptation.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    bad...too much pufa in it

Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast