Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 26

WSR
    WSR is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    ZenGopher thanks for your reply. I only started yesterday and since last night have a post nasal drip and cough, I used to get that when I used to detox.

NomadRip is offline Member
    After at least 2 weeks since last carb cheat of any kind, I had a couple of cookies last night. Woke up congested, blowing nose, and with bubbleguts. Seems to be clearing up fast, but it is so not worth it. Girlfriend went to a cookie-decorating class, so I tried them. I was weak
    -James
    Just a n00b

atestforecho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I've been there. I know the fog, the impatience, the outright frustration of the first few days/weeks/months. I'm also tired of watching new folks learn through trial and error the same mistakes we all made, way back when. So, for all you struggling folks that are new, here's several hints I've thought up while responding to the same 5 threads over and over.
    1) Fat is fuel. The answer to being tired, having no energy, and generally feeling BAD isn't always add more fat, but for most new folks, it is. Those feelings generally indicate you aren't giving your body something it needs. Calculate out what you're eating. if your calories are low and you've met your protein/carb needs, eat more fat. YOU CANNOT GO PRIMAL WITHOUT EATING FAT!
    2) You gotta give it time. The first few days/weeks are likely going to be carb flu. You will most likely feel like you've been put through a wringer both mentally and physically. This is normal, it's your body switching fuels. If you make the switch all at once, it'll pass quicker. If you follow true primal for a couple months and carb flu is still there, you have a break somewhere that needs to get corrected. The forum is a great sounding board for that, AFTER you've given it time.
    3) This is not a quick- fix, flash in the pan, yoyo diet. This is a way of life. Treat it as a diet du jour, and you'll just fall off the horse for the 5 bajillionth time. You gotta treat it as something you're bent on sticking with.
    4)Organic, while better than regular, is not absolutely required to go primal. If you can't afford it and find it, use what you can get.
    5) People will try to talk you out of it. Read the story of the monkeys and the dangling banana and you'll see why. They will try to "make you see reason." If you want to try to convince them, Mark has 5 million studies referenced throughout his site. Otherwise, "do not argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."
    6) Do not tinker with your Primal diet until you've given your body the time it needs to adjust. I'm not talking just until carb flu is over, either. I'm talking long haul. Give true Primal several months. Once that stops working, look at your cheats and possible food reactions. If you fix those and still have problems,THEN start tinkering with VLC and such.
    7) Eat when you're hungry, don't if you're not. It's lunchtime and you're not hungry? Then don't eat. Dinner rolls around and you're famished? Eat. Dont restrict too much, but don't gorge, either. Listen to your body. Just 'cause you're fixing this huge meal for your family doesn't mean you need to take "your share."
    8 ) Your cholesterol will most likely go up. D not be alarmed. Read Griff's cholesterol Primer for more info on that.
    9) Do not be alarmed at any medical maladies changing (diabetes, hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, etc.) If it gets worse, talk with your doc. If it gets better, run with it, but watch and make sure you don't need to tinker with your meds.
    10) Life goes on. You will most likely slip up some. That's not an excuse to eat every pastry and bag of cereal in the house. You fell off the horse. Look the horse dead in the eye, tell it who's boss, and get back on. It's not the end of the world. It's not another diet, where you'll be berated for being human and flubbing up. Get over yourself, get back on the horse, and get back to feeling good.

Anyone else got any more hints for new folks?
    Love it! Thanks!

WSR
    WSR is offline Junior Member
    Thank you for posting that again. I read it, but I needed to read it again.

atestforecho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lizch View Post
    I still haven't got to the point of enjoying a spoon full of coconut oil, but just one frozen Batty's Butter Blue Balls (did I get the name right?) is my go-to-snack that keeps me from craving anything.
    Please tell mee what Butter Blue Balls are? They sound tasty.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atestforecho View Post
    Please tell mee what Butter Blue Balls are? They sound tasty.
    Batty's Blueberry Butter Balls.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

IanGHenderson is offline Junior Member
    To much fat isn't good for you, but taken in moderation is OK.

How To Lose Weight, Weigh Less, Diet Plans

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IanGHenderson View Post
    To much fat isn't good for you, but taken in moderation is OK.
    Obviously you haven't read the book or the forum. Please go educate yourself, if you're not a troll and/or a spammer.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

InAGottaDeVita is offline Junior Member
    The Primal philosophy is new to me, but I seem to be in a cold turkey frame of mind these days...33 days alcohol free, 27 days cigarette free, and 6 days primal without even a niggling to cheat. I have kept my carbs around 60g, protien between 80 and 100g, fat between 70 and 100g, calories under 1200 by chance. I do not feel hungry between meals. The only problem I am experiencing is occasional dizziness. Until recently I was of the school rice, pasta or potatoes with every meal and was known to eat just pasta without protien. It makes sense my body would be missing carbs. Can anyone give me an idea of how long I should tolerate the dizziness before I become concerned?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Dizziness? I wouldn't think that would be related to your diet. I'd be more inclined to think that's related to quitti ng the cigs (congrats, by the way.) Dependiing on how often and how badly you're getting dizzy, as well as when, I'd rather you see a dr. If it's truly occasional ( it's only happened a couple times in the past 6 days,) it may be a symptom of carb flu, in which case give it the rest of the month. If it's happening once a day or more, I'd go see a doc.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 26 of 45 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast