Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbies page 21

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Great thread!

Hawk is offline Junior Member
    I'm new. Of course I'm new...My first post. Age 30 I was told that my 202 cholesterol was too high and I was put on a SAD diet. Low fat. I gained 30 pounds, and began to be sick constantly. I was on round after round of antibiotics. I got sick of my doctor treating my symptoms and I changed doctors at age 50., 5 years ago I was having daily headaches, allergies and I had bad candida. My new doctor sent me to his priest who had cured himself of candida. I spent three hours talking to him (weird, I know) but he gave me more nutrition advice than any doctor ever had. My doctor admitted to two weeks of nutrition in college. Anyway..I began a diet to kill yeast, took diflucan and used nystatin powder. I have not had a sinus infection ever since. The priest told me..."meat and green veggies ONLY" I lost weight and felt better. Then life went on. I have not taken antibiotics since. I gained back the weight gradually and then some. Remembering the weight loss from eating meat and greens, I began to search. My doctor is still against the low carb diet..."it cuts out too many food groups" BUT...my 78 year old dad who had 500 blood sugar and a massive stroke 12 years ago, is now one of my doctors healthiest patients because my mother feeds him a paleo diet. His blood work is perfect. Dad is still paralyzed on his right side. He can walk though, by will power alone. Recent additions of coconut oil ,from my research, is resulting in my father beginning to talk after 12 years.

So...it's my turn, before I have the massive stroke. My newer doctor is beginning to be a believer because of my Father and Mother. I want to convince him that this is better for everyone.. I have to prove it first. I am in day 4 of eating paleo. I began March 17th. I have full out carb flu. achy, nose running, tired, headache, a tad dizzy. Not really hungry. I have been doing hours of research. I have tried lo carb before with out much result. I think I am one of the people who has to be really LOW carb people. I never get my carbs low enough. Reading Gary Taubes helped me to realize that.. I saw a link to here on his blog. I am committed to this. This is not a diet for me. It does not feel like a diet. I don't want to screw it up by getting my facts wrong ever again. I get so tired of wrong info. I am in this shape because of Dean Ornish and a vegan diet by my first doctor.. I believe that is when I acquired candida. My doc had given me the diet to lower my cholesterol. And up it went...Along with allergies, belly fat and chronic sinus infections. After about 30 bouts of antibiotics from age 30 to age 50, I switched doctors and was sent to a priest by my new doctor...(only because my doctor admitted that his priest cured himself and that my doctor was clueless.) At least he did that. I gotta give it to him.

In the mean time in Georgia, my father had a stroke and my mother found Protein Power Life Plan and began to change their life style.
    They have since moved here to be closer to me and acquired my doctor. My doctor said that my mothers decision saved my fathers life. He said that my blood work shows I am like my father, he has encouraged me to do this now. My fasting blood sugar has gone up to 109. I weigh 180 and am 5'5.
    Now's my time. Teach me.... I'd like to thank you all ahead of time. You are an answer to prayer.

I forgot to say...I am allergic to food color, preservatives, additives, gluten, perfumes, cleaners, use a CPAP and have borderline high blood pressure. 130/80.

Just got through reading all of this thread. Thanks Niaid for the list. I printed it out. Thanks Sungrazer for your list too. Now I have two things to go by. I am on to the next thread! Love to you. all

PrimaCat is offline Junior Member
    Thank you SO VERY MUCH for this thread and this terrific information for beginners!!! I have been reading on the site for days, but found myself getting more, rather than less, confused. Awaiting the arrival of the book and cookbooks, probably another week or so. Read through this entire thread last night, was so psyched to find it

I just learned of PB a few days ago, and today is start of Day 3, full compliance. I have numerous inflammatory and autoimmune issues, anxiety and depression, plus chronic, long undiagnosed and incorrectly treated Lyme Disease and Babesia co-infection, am 47, hope to lose approx. 30 lbs of fat (though regaining my health is far more important!), used to be quite muscular and strong - long ago dancer and bodybuilder, and am two weeks post hysterectomy (kept ovaries). Started short walks two days ago, haven't moved in a very long time, over a year!

Yesterday I noticed my Fibro pain was much less than the day before, and today is also reduced!!!
    Also, yesterday I awoke with the "Carb Flu" - felt hung-over, groggy, foggy, nasty headache and VERY dizzy. Ate well and drank lots of water. Today, despite only 6 hours sleep (usually need about 9), so far I feel really good! A bit tired, but none of yesterday's symptoms.

Years ago I did very well on Protein Power, and then had great success on the Blood Type Diet (I'm an O - meat, veg, fat, berries). I believe that in PB I have found a way of eating and living that is going to help me restore my health - might be gradual, I'll be patient! - and GET MY LIFE BACK. This thread has helped clear the confusion and stress I was starting to feel, now am much more peaceful about the process, THANK YOU! Added to the Shopping List, I feel much better about staying on course. I believe as close to 100% compliance as possible might be necessary for quite a while in my quest for renewed health.

Quick question: one of my meds causes constipation. After trying Colace, Ducolax and the like, I find I am constantly doing very well on MiraLax, finally. Can I continue to take it for now? Any reason not to? Eventually would like to experiment with magnesium, but need to keep things as simple as possible for now.

One last question: I know my hormones are way out of whack, have been for years. How long should I eat with full compliance and allow my body time to make adjustments before getting tests done? I found out my D3 was only 10 (scale of 40 - 80) a few months ago, large daily doses are making good improvements in my health, especially cognitive improvements and some pain improvement, will retest every three months. Want to take it as far as I can, be the healthiest I can be, have lost too many years to pain, fatigue, cognitive impairment and illness.

First post - hope this was the right place for it! If not, please advise, still very much learning my way around!

Thank you, again!

Sincerely,
    PrimaCat
    Last edited by PrimaCat; 03-23-2011 at 09:14 AM. Reason: fix wrong word, spelled right!

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    I have a question, I'm waiting on my book but I'm reading some posts and how people are losing weight etc. What if I'm already pretty fit? would it be expected that I still loose weight or just tone? Just curious....

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Mark suggests that if you want to just maintain your weight, eat between 100 and 150g of carbs a day. You don't have to lose on this plan - but you can if you need to.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    You're in town on a shopping a Saturday morning and discover that your fly is undone. What do you do? You zip it up of course, and pretend nothing happened.

Life goes on.

Why is it then, that some people thinks: "Oh, no! The zipper is open, now everything is destroyed! I can just as well rip off my pants, sweater and underwear and run around naked while I am screaming loudly and tearing my hair out. Just so everybody can see how unsuccessful I am as a person." ?!

It's irrational thinking, and it has to stop. "If you want to loose that extra bit of fat and are already somewhat at low body fat percentage: Create a moderate calorie deficiency, do a proper amount of cardio and strength training which is so balanced that you're able to follow the plan. The best diet is the diet you manage to stick to and where you think it isn't a diet, but a lifestyle."

If you once in a while eat a piece of chocolate or something else that you know isn't good for you - it is just calories and not the end of the world.

Life goes on.
    Last edited by Sungrazer; 10-10-2011 at 04:11 AM. Reason: edited for clarification - fat loss, not weight loss.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

RHC
    RHC is offline Junior Member
    Thanks so much for this, everyone! I am a total newbie; my doctor recommended this. He didn't call it PB, but he recommended I restrict my carbs to 20 percent or less of my daily calories. He's German, and, honestly, as an American raised on a organic version of the SAD, it shocked me.

I have been reading, reading, reading...but I have a couple of clarification questions.

1. What's the deal with dairy? I was blessed with the genetics to handle dairy well, and I do love a good Greek yogurt. But I notice some say "avoid!" and some say "it's okay if you are okay with it."

2. Why are sweet potatoes to be avoided? I like to slice them thin and bake them with salt, pepper and olive oil as "fries." The kids and husband like it, too. I also enjoy them with lots of butter. I know regular potatoes have a high glycemic index value, but I thought sweet potatoes were considerably lower. I'm not saying I'd eat them daily (that's for asparagus and Brussels sprouts), but can I eat them sometimes?

Thanks so much!

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eat your sweet potatoes with delight. As for dairy it can be inflammatory, and some people react with acne and/or air way problems.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast