Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF'ing and the Newbie page

Tawny is offline Senior Member

IF'ing and the Newbie

Shop Now
    I've dabbled in primal before for just a few weeks at a time, but am following the current challenge. As I've been much more serious this time, I've seen some very positive effects not the least of which is a reduction in hunger. I have not, however, been 100% perfect and have had 6 days out of the 20 of the current challenge where I have eaten over 100g of carbs, and have not yet reached the point where I don't crave carbs at least sometimes.

I have been reading ALOT about this lifestyle over the last few weeks and I get that I should give my body time to adjust, not worry about IF'ing until I've got the eating part down, etc. I actually tried an IF last week and it backfired on me (that was before I found out I shouldn't do this right away)...

My question is, should I eat breakfast even if I'm not hungry? It is firmly ingrained in my head that I should eat breakfast every morning. As a newbie still adjusting, is it okay to stretch out and wait to eat, even if that's not until 11:00 a.m., which would be about 15 hours from my last meal? I guess I need help in knowing whether or not I should follow a relative structured eating schedule until I've fully adjusted (and how will I know I'm adjusted), or should I jump right in and let my body tell me when I should eat?

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Eat when your hungry. Only time I would force myself to eat is if I knew that I wasnt going to get another opportunity to eat for quite a while.

Primal Fist is offline Senior Member
    It's best to wait until your body is adjusted (ie it's burning fat as the primary fuel source, not glucose) before trying IF. However, once you do, breakfast is a perfectly unnecessary meal if you're not hungry. Check out the how-to if you haven't already, and peruse Leangains and the The Lean Saloon for more info.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely check out those resources. This is why I'm confused, though - MeatMe says "eat when hungry", Primal says, "wait until your body is adjusted" It's just one big experiment, huh? Guess I just have to figure out what works best for me...

You should definitely eat when you're hungry generally. IFing, however, does involve some ignoring of hunger, so it's a little different. If your body is used to burning fat as a fuel, then the hunger will subside as it starts turning to your fat reserves for energy. If it still wants glucose, though, you're going to be shaky and unable to do very much if you don't eat something. So that's why it's best to give it a while.

loneviking is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I will definitely check out those resources. This is why I'm confused, though - MeatMe says "eat when hungry", Primal says, "wait until your body is adjusted" It's just one big experiment, huh? Guess I just have to figure out what works best for me...
    Hunger feels different when you've been on a Primal type diet for even a couple of weeks. I've been eating pretty close to Primal now for almost a month and I juice fast one day a week. I've noticed that I don't have the frantic, 'have to eat now or the blood sugar is headed to the basement' feeling with the change in diet.

You also have to decide what type of IF---water only, no food or water (which is really tough), liquids/juice and what types.

I'd be surprised if there was any benefit to fasting without water. Also, fasting with juice seems to me to be defeating the metabolic objectives of the fast.

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    It's best to wait until your body is adjusted (ie it's burning fat as the primary fuel source, not glucose) before trying IF. However, once you do, breakfast is a perfectly unnecessary meal if you're not hungry. Check out the how-to if you haven't already, and peruse Leangains and the The Lean Saloon for more info.

I second this. I think I tried IFing too soon (which is the reason my body's in the mess it is now...)

Shame because I like doing it - and especially exercising whilst doing it...
    La tristesse durera toujours...

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    Hunger feels different when you've been on a Primal type diet for even a couple of weeks. I've been eating pretty close to Primal now for almost a month and I juice fast one day a week. I've noticed that I don't have the frantic, 'have to eat now or the blood sugar is headed to the basement' feeling with the change in diet.

You also have to decide what type of IF---water only, no food or water (which is really tough), liquids/juice and what types.
    I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, go without water whilst fasting, I think that's really bad advice, IMO. You NEED to keep yourself hydrated (the body can go for weeks without food, but not very long at all without water. It's not starvation which kills most famine victims, but dehydration).

Seriously, folks, I would NEVER advocate not drinking. I know the '8 glasses a day' is BS, but I always have a bottle of spring water on hand to sip from throughout the day (I know when I'm dehydrated - I get a banger of a headache and my energy levels hit the basement...).

When I was fasting it was water and herbal tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fist View Post
    I'd be surprised if there was any benefit to fasting without water. Also, fasting with juice seems to me to be defeating the metabolic objectives of the fast.

Seconded. I do know that some also allow themselves a couple of coffees (with cream) during a fast (the the guy who writes the Lean Saloon blog does that).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast