Thread: Sensitive Taste buds page

Meadow is offline Senior Member

Sensitive Taste buds

Primal Fuel
    How many folks notice super sensitive taste buds after eating natural for awhile, specifically to chemical flavorings and such now?

I have been eating more natural and lower carb for years, but especially in the last couple years I rarely eat anything I haven't made from scratch. Its gotten so that even if tap water has high chlorine I can taste it now (my husband used to call me crazy but he is getting to that point as well).

I used to be much more particular about every ingredient in my food since I am gluten intolerant....but I have found I have a much better tolerance now. So when I am in an emergency situation or traveling I try not to worry so much about seasonings and the trace amnt issues. So I am getting more exposure to flavored, preserved, or whatever foods as of late.

Like this last week we had to stay with the friends of someone else while we attended a funeral. I ate a few offerings as to not be completely rude to my southern hosts (I skipped most meals, but I did eat a couple items). One morning I had an egg casserole with sausage, eggs, and cheese. I am guessing it was probably Jimmy dean sausage, and definitely bagged shredded cheese.....OMG, the flavor was SO chemical tasting I almost couldn't eat my small serving. At one point my husband was having a dessert and I saw whipped cream and stole a spoonful.....BAH...turns out it was cool whip (something I used to adore), no way I could ever eat that again. Made my mouth cringe.

Amazing how sensitive the taste buds when you simplify what you eat, eh?
    Last edited by Meadow; 09-26-2010 at 01:23 PM.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    My palate has definitely changed. I've been making most everything homemade for quite a while so I notice it the most now when we go out to eat when there is too much sodium (and it's not just too much salt) and cheap oil and/or fake butter (butter/oil blends). I had a swig of diet coke this summer and OMG...I can't believe I used to love that stuff. I could really taste the aspartame. Ick.

I think people's palates start to change when they first give up processed/prepared foods and even further when they switch to organic, whole foods. It's a good thing I think.

rozska is offline Senior Member
    Yeap. I agree completely. Can only taste the chemicals now in cheap ice cream. Don't taste "bread" any more -- tastes like cardboard. Almost everything that I don't make myself tastes too salty now. Can taste the cheap oils or butter as well.
    If I don't live my dream, who will?

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    It's funny how much my own tastes have changed. Things that are sweet to me are bitter and unpleasant to my family and friends. When I visit my parents and my mom makes a dessert, they are so sweet I can't even tolerate eating it. Fortunately she understands this and no longer offers them to me when I visit.

I really have to watch it when I cook for others, as food I find rich and full of flavor they find lacking salt or sweetness. I made a meal for my family... a beet, asparagus and goat cheese salad which I found to be amazingly healthy and rich tasting... which they found bland and unappetizing.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post

I really have to watch it when I cook for others, as food I find rich and full of flavor they find lacking salt or sweetness. I made a meal for my family... a beet, asparagus and goat cheese salad which I found to be amazingly healthy and rich tasting... which they found bland and unappetizing.
    I find the same, even with my husband. He has gotten better, but he still needs more 'flavor intensity' then I do. I love to savor simple dishes with few ingredients that just highlight the flavor of a single item. Him, not so much. For salads, I still buy him his favorite dressing as so far I have found nothing he enjoys that I can easily make at home. We are working in stages, at least he is eating salads with TONS of ingredients now instead of just iceburg lettuce and cucumber!

Most of the dishes I make for events I choose something with bold ingredients or I avoid things like bringing dessert since most expect a sugar/carb laden item. Doing a veggie platter with a nice balsamic vinegar dip is better for me to tackle.

QuietlyPrimal is offline Member
    absolutely. I can tell when just about anything has artificial sweetener of any kind in it. It's just yuck. Back in the day, I used to drink diet soda all the time, now I can't even stomach the stuff.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I find I'm more tolerant to gluten as well...

Made some eggs cooked in butter at my parents' house (regular store eggs and regular stick butter) and BLECH it has NO flavor at all! I was happy to come home to my pastured eggs and grass-fed butter (all local). The next time I visit, I'll be taking some to my parents so they can taste the difference! I've brought them the butter before, but not the eggs.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!