Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple question: how do I thicken a sauce? page

Hilary is online now Senior Member

Simple question: how do I thicken a sauce?

Primal Fuel
    I always used to thicken gravy or white sauce with wholewheat flour. What can I use instead?

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Arrowroot works pretty well, as long as you don't keep boiling the sauce for too long--eventually, excessive heating will cause the sauce to thin out again.

Or you could just not thicken the sauce, use a spoon to eat most of it, and then resort to my new found gleeful activity: licking the plate.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    What kind of sauce? I'm just curious cause I haven't made any sauces in a really long time...
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

I make lots of sauces. Last week we had osso buco, tonight's dinner is beef bourguignon, so I get you about thickening the cooking liquid into a velvety sauce.

I use flour. (ducks and covers head). I only use about a tablespoon for the whole recipe and that usually means 4-6 servings so I don't feel guitly about it. I have stoppped serving these dishes with pasta/rice/bread so I allow the small amount of flour. I figure if I'm only using flour in seasoning-size amounts I'll be okay.

I know there are some other thickeners available out there that someone else may suggest for you and I'll watch this thread for ideas.

I wonder if a tablespoon of mashed potato flakes would be a better substitute? Egg yolk is also a possibilty. Okay, I'll have to experiment a little.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    For most of my sauces, I just cook them down or add a touch (as in a Tbsp for half a stockpot) of cornstarch, masa, or coconut flour. I usually try to stick with the coconut flour unless I absolutely can't avoid it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    I guess depending on the sauce, you could add a pureed vegetable in there to thicken it up.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodini View Post
    I guess depending on the sauce, you could add a pureed vegetable in there to thicken it up.
    +1.
    If you can, throw some carrots, or parsnips and even a sweet tater with your cooking liquid. Then puree with some of the liquid and you have a great thickened sauce.....

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    I mostly just make reduction sauces, but arrowroot or cornstarch work pretty well. Neither will give you quite the same texture (and arrowroot doesn't harden up when chilled) but there ya go.

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I normally put in pureed squash or pumpkin, or I just add less liquid and let it cook down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast