Thread: What do I do with lamb kidneys? page

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member

What do I do with lamb kidneys?

Shop Now
    I'm branching out with the offal and got some kidneys from my farmers market.

Now I've got no idea what to do with them bar frying!!!

Does anyone have any good ideas or recipes?

Thanks.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Slice them, removing the white "core" as far as practical. Fry one chopped onion in lard until softening. Have ready some thick (double, heavy) cream and Dijon mustard plus salt and pepper.

Add kidneys to pan and fry, stirring occasionally, for just 3 or 4 minutes then add about 2 teaspoons mustard and enough cream to make a sauce. Stir, add S&P to taste and serve.

It is important not to overcook the kidneys - under cook rather than over! Bleeding slightly i the middle is just fine.

Thanks, this recipe is a lot more exciting than what I was going to do with them! I didn't know you had to remove the core as well, that would have been a disaster lol

tai haku is offline Junior Member
    you could add cayenne and a few other things to the above recipe to "devil" them.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle3621278.ece

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Thanks! I just bought a pig's kidney (because it was there ) and have no clue what to do with it. Anything different from the lamb's? The butcher said the flavour was stronger, which I suppose might not be a great thing with kidney...?

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Another - again, start with an onion, sliced and fried until going translucent in either lard or butter. Prepare kidneys by halving them, removing core and cutting smaller if you want to.

Add about 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika and a touch of hot cayenne for spiciness. Stir, add kidneys and a teaspoon of caraway seeds. Cook until the kidneys are stiffening but still bloody inside. Add salt to taste and enough double (heavy) cream to make a sauce.

Serve and drool! I love it with crisply cooked dark green cabbage.

I really enjoyed the kidneys. I cooked them win butter, spiced it and added mustard! Did have any cream so improvised and made a stir fry. I cooked some kale, onions, peppers and courgette (zucchini to US peeps) in garlic mixed it with the kidneys and devoured it.

Definitely gonna do this again.

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    oh god, I made mine a while back a little more traditional with onions in the bacon fat & ate with fried eggs & bacon. I was in heaven. sooo tender & tasty. I still have another in the freezer so I am going to try with the mustard & stuff...