Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with falling off the Primal "wagon"... what do you do? page

AliciaJane is offline Junior Member

Issues with falling off the Primal "wagon"... what do you do?

I am sure this has probably brought this up before, but I was doing well with Primal for about 8 days or so, feeling great with tons of energy. Today I ate a little earlier than I wanted to and by noon had eaten about 1200 calories (all primal). That freaked me out and I have NO IDEA why I then thought I could eat some chocolate which put the rest of the day in sugar binge mode. I now feel guilty and crappy... I know I feel so much better when I eat primal it is just so hard for me to shut the craving talk off. So I am just wondering what some of you say to yourself or the actions you take in order to make sure you are sticking to your plan. I don't see this as a "diet" but I am a very all or nothing type of person and if I feel like I am messing up I get the "fk its" and feel like I should eat the things I shouldn't, which I don't even really want! Ugh! Insane. I am sure I will get a ration of crap for posting this. Thanks for any advice you have.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I would say try to stop counting your calories for a bit. I count too, and have been for years. I find that whenever I think I'm 'ahead of the game' I will eat extra even if I'm not hungry, just take make up for the supposed shortage.

Also, try allowing yourself to eat however many calories you want as long as they're primal. I played with it one night and I was able to eat 2700(!!!) calories with it not showing up on the scale at all the next day.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm only about 3 weeks in, so I'm no expert, but when I get in one of those moods, I let myself go on a primal binge. Apples with almond butter, an avocado, grapes, dark chocolate with berries. Too many carbs, but still primal. Then I just forget about it and when the time comes, I eat my normal meal again. So far that has kept me from just throwing it in when I make a mistake. That, and thinking about how much better I feel. Guilt is a total waste of time and energy.

Eat something fatty and primal and you are right back on track

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianne View Post
    Also, try allowing yourself to eat however many calories you want as long as they're primal.
    Excellent advice. Eat good food and let the calories take care of themselves.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem-- if I mess up, I tend to burn the whole damn wagon and wind up on a sugar train. Problem is, the "resonating effects," aka cravings for more crap, last awhile.

When y'all allow yourselves to just eat a ton of primal food, even if it's high in calories at the time, do you find it's not hard to tone it back down and get back to business?

Grizz is offline Banned
    I say reach for your mate instead of your plate !

Afterward you will have forgotten all about that ice cream, and look at how many more calories you will have burned up instead of eating ;--)).

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

jarnapal is offline Member
    I try to stop doing anything when I get that quilt or anxiety that makes me eat. Just stop doing anything. Know that you are going to do it wrong anyway. Stop and analyze. Try to get some time passed by and you will be on the "right decision" track soon enough. Also, if I get that craving that I might need something sugary, I always crab the raw honey.

Also, if you think you ate too much in the first half a day make a plan for the another half. If you drink lots of black and green tea you will eat much less. Black tea helps with my hunger best. Also you can try 1/2 of tsp of cinnamon to keep your blood sugar steady.

I wouldn't worry about consuming 1200 calories though I know it would be different when one has weight problems and worries about gaining

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixflame View Post
    I have the same problem-- if I mess up, I tend to burn the whole damn wagon and wind up on a sugar train. Problem is, the "resonating effects," aka cravings for more crap, last awhile.

When y'all allow yourselves to just eat a ton of primal food, even if it's high in calories at the time, do you find it's not hard to tone it back down and get back to business?
    No, I find it's not hard to tone it back down calorie-wise. If you really give yourself permission to nourish yourself, you'll know when to stop. It takes a different mind-set, especially if you're used to the CW mind-set of 'if I'm not starving then I'm not being realistic about weight loss.'

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    If you limit eating things with a lot of sugar in them to once every 6 weeks or so, you won't be thinking about them much to start with and your cravings for them might just go away. At least this worked for me. The cravings actually went away after only a few days, but I think that waiting 6 weeks before trying something with sugar made it so they wouldn't come back when I did eat it. And they didn't.

For chocolate, you might try the 85 percent stuff.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    We all make mistakes. What you did yesterday - just try your absolute best to let it go. Don't worry about how many calories you consume but instead try your best to only eat primal foods. Before you eat ask yourself... is this primal? If yes, then eat it. Eat when your hungry and stop when you are satisfied and all will be well!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast