Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help my mom? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Can someone help my mom?

About two weeks ago, my mom started developing hives all around her body. She went to this doctor and he said that she has a weak immune system at the moment ... she's been prescribed some medicine, but it's going to take some time to work.

are there any other things she can do to her diet to help? She's on Zyrtec as well (allergy medicine). Just now it's started on her face too. It's like all red... help!

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Cut out all grains and sugar. That may help some allergy reactions she may be having, but I'm not a doctor.

She actually isn't even eating that much sugar and such, she eats some grains but mostly she's really healthy. I guess I'm asking for more than nutritional tips haha.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Is she taking any other medicines?

Grizz is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    About two weeks ago, my mom started developing hives all around her body. She went to this doctor and he said that she has a weak immune system at the moment ... she's been prescribed some medicine, but it's going to take some time to work.

are there any other things she can do to her diet to help? She's on Zyrtec as well (allergy medicine). Just now it's started on her face too. It's like all red... help!
    Get her started on 1 tablespoon a day of these products. They will boost her immune system. We put these into our daily smoothies.

Spirulina
    http://www.usaspirulina.com/who.htm
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...a/premium.html

Chlorella
    http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...chlorella.html
    http://www.healingdaily.com/oral-che...-chlorella.htm

Diatomacious Powder:
    http://www.earthworkshealth.com/human-use.php

Best of health to all,
    Grizz

she has some thyroid problems and she's on that medication ... as well as zyrtec for the hives she's having right now.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Has she started using a new shampoo/soap/body lotion? Or laundry detergent? Or air freshener, cleaning product? Has anything changed in her diet recently? I'd be really wracking my brains on those kinds of questions. Some change must have precipitated this.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    she has some thyroid problems and she's on that medication ... as well as zyrtec for the hives she's having right now.
    Thyroid issues always raise the suspicion of gluten intolerance. Gluten problems can cause leaky gut issues where other incompletely digested food proteins from the intestinal contents leak into the bloodstream because of the gluten damage, in which case many different intolerances can arise from reactions to the undigested proteins which do not belong in circulation.

https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Faq.aspx

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Hives are an indication of immune function gone awry.

Normalizing/optimizing immune function means

optimizing zinc, D and A
    getting off grains and sugar
    taking in sufficient high quality animal protein
    reducing inflammation (via vitamin d, getting off grains/sugar, exercising appropriately etc)

I probably have some information in the links in my signature line. Even if there is nothing about hives specifically, the information is the same wether it's hives, candida, frequent infections, acne etc: optimize immune function.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Hives are an indication of immune function gone awry.

Normalizing/optimizing immune function means

optimizing zinc, D and A
    getting off grains and sugar
    taking in sufficient high quality animal protein
    reducing inflammation (via vitamin d, getting off grains/sugar, exercising appropriately etc)

I probably have some information in the links in my signature line. Even if there is nothing about hives specifically, the information is the same wether it's hives, candida, frequent infections, acne etc: optimize immune function.
    Good big picture view, as always, Cillakat.

Persistent hives (urticaria) might tend to suggest autoimmune issues as opposed to Type I IgE mediated hypersensitivity reaction. I'd particularly wonder about this if the hives did not readily resolve on administration of antihistamines. As I recall, autoimmune thyroid disease as well as the full spectrum of other autoimmune disorders can present with urticaria. Personally, I'd try an extended and very strict gluten free diet, maybe also casein/dairy free.

On a strict GF or GF/CF diet, weak immune function might well improve. This has a good side and a bad side. If the strict diet is maintained, recovery might occur. If the diet is maintained just enough to improve immune function, but with repeated contamination exposures, the improved immune function might actually cause more damage than if the immune system was left in a depressed state.

At the same time, autoimmune thyroid disease induced by gluten can progress into other less treatable autoimmune disorders, e.g. lupus, Sjogren's, etc., which also can present with chronic hives.

From the website of Kenneth Fine, MD:

" A study from Italy showed that the longer gluten sensitive people eat gluten, the more likely they are to develop autoimmune diseases . . . So preventing autoimmune disease is one very important reason why early diagnosis and treatment of gluten sensitivity is important . . . Another reason for early diagnosis and treatment is very straightforward and that is because many gluten sensitive individuals, even if they have not yet developed celiac disease (villous atrophy), have symptoms that abate when gluten is removed from their diet. Furthermore, from a study done in Finland, a gluten sensitive individual who reports no symptoms at the time of diagnosis can improve both psychological and physical well-being after treatment for one year with a gluten-free diet."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast