Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preaching to the choir. Eliminate wheat, eat lots of fats and get plenty of vitamin D page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Preaching to the choir. Eliminate wheat, eat lots of fats and get plenty of vitamin D

Primal Fuel
    This is not a request for advice. It is an illustration of the importance of the core primal rules.

My housemate has read PB and heard Mark speak. She has seen the dramatic changes in me.

She has done low carbs in the past and felt wonderful. She does the rest of primal already. But . . .

She won't give up bread.
    She thinks fat is gross. (I cook with butter and coconut oil as much as I can. I do the cooking.)
    She thinks she gets enough vitamin D doing a little gardening.

So, obviously, she is not losing weight or getting the other benefits of primal.

No need to tell me - I'll just keep on doing primal and maybe she will eventually come around.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'm sure Cillakat or probably a quick google search has reasonable evidence that you need more time in the sun to produce enough vitamin d or supplements. What can you say to people who aren't persuaded by evidence that is so self-evident by now>

As for fat, good luck accomplishing low carb without enough saturated fat. Hopefully fatigue changes her mind before anything worse does.

Bread is a bitch. My dad is the same way. Thinks that eating fat is "unnatural", doesn't think that he needs to take his supplements yet lives on bread and processed meat. And of course he has gout and can't eat more than 2 bites of food without feeling sick so he eats a 300 calories meal in 8 parts over the course of a few hours (no more than 1000 calories a day or else he'll get fat. He is kind of chubby anyway, all in the middle) but oh no can't give up that good good wheat bread or else he's be constipated and of course fat would solve that, but alas, it is unnatural.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Stabby. Yes, Cillakat convinced me to increase my D. I have casually mentioned all the evidence, but my friend isn't buying.

chasbuddy is offline Senior Member
    My kids are the same way. I no longer mention anything at all....however by leading through example a subtle pressure is applied that leads them to hopefully question their choices. (you are losing they are not...gee whats wrong?).....I bring up primal and I get "Im not giving up, X or Y or Z....Okay so dont your the one that is overweight not me.... or so the conversation plays out time and again as I continue to shrink down to normal human size. I hope by Xmas to really put the pressure on them through the back door so to speak.
    They used to call me No Neck, but now I have one.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    I think fat is gross too, generally, which is why I thing ramming EAT MOAR FAT down people's throats is counterproductive. To me, it sounds like your housemate is trying to make changes but having difficulty making the transition to 100% compliance. Maybe you should congratulate her for what she's managed to achieve rather than focusing on what she hasn't? Cooperatively pulling people along is much easier than shoving them.
    Last edited by blank_faceplate; 09-26-2010 at 10:29 AM.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    my mom and dad won't give up bread either. I don't get it. They both acknowledge that they feel better and lose weight when they quit it (they eat pretty primally otherwise)...but they keep going back. "But we liiiiiiiike it" Wah, wah. I say: ok, you like bread so much, then eat JUST bread. Put the butter down. The jam goes back in the fridge. Nope, no roast beef to sandwich in between. Sit there and eat bread. Still enjoy it? It's not usually the bread that people enjoy...it's usually just the edible serving dish for some sort of food that actually does taste good. But, you'll never convince someone who just really wants to eat bread no matter what.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Stabby esplains with link to esplainy blog

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...ids-crack.html

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

free3337 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    She won't give up bread.
    try encouraging her to do just a 30 day challenge, and see how she feels, especially after reintroduction. emphasize the amazing potential benefits, and worst case scenario they just miss some bread for a few weeks.

if that doesn't work, try seeing if she can live with say rice bread or maybe even any of the many nut-bread recipes or something, which would be much better than wheat. barring that, try getting into long-ferment traditional sourdough bread making, it should make the bread taste better anyways, i think.

She thinks fat is gross. (I cook with butter and coconut oil as much as I can. I do the cooking.)
    try getting some relatively thick vegetables and cooking them in a lot of butter, the fat tends to soak up into them i find and it just makes the veggies taste rich. or maybe some tuber (like sweet potato) chips, cooked up into fatty potato chips. she likes potato chips right? full of fat. does she like ice cream? there's another good idea. whip up some ice cream, with coconut milk if you want to avoid dairy. maybe a coconut milk drink or some sort of smoothie would taste good to her too.

She thinks she gets enough vitamin D doing a little gardening.
    easy fix, get her vitamin D levels tested.
    Last edited by free3337; 09-26-2010 at 11:17 AM.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    You said there'd be illustrations

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Stabby esplains with link to esplainy blog

http://drbganimalpharm.blogspot.com/...ids-crack.html

That is the best gluten article ever.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast