Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wow this is sad page

Joshy is offline Senior Member

Wow this is sad

As much as I'm a fan of Mark and all the info here, I still try to be open to other perspectives regarding health and nutrition.

So today as I'm browsing the university book store for my books, I stumble across the Nutrition text book that university health/nutrition classes are taught from, Understanding Nutrition.

I skip through the intro and start in on chapter 2: "planning a healthy diet" or something like that. Much to my dismay, the book uses the USDA's food pyramid and everything that comes with it for everything.

A few things I specifically remember:

-Enriched whole grains under "things to eat often"

-Sample of balanced diet is composed of cereal for breakfast, other carbs throughout the day with a few fruits and a salad, and white pasta for dinner.

-Canola Oil, Mayonaise with soybean oil, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, Trans-fat-free margerine and other similar products all pictured and recommended as sources of fat. Butter is pictured with candy and potato chips as something to eat sparingly.

-Skim milk praised relentlessly

I could see this kind of stuff being in a fad diet book or maybe as a quick article in a Glamour magazine, but in a university text book? Seriously?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    A few days ago my friend was going to "prove" me that cholesterol was bad for you... with his textbook as a source.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    I am studying nutrition in my pursuit to become a personal trainer. It is preached to keep cholesterol under 300mg per day, eat many servings of grains, limit fat. I was speaking with one of my professors about primal/paleo and she said do whatever I want with my body but when it comes to my clients I must follow the textbook. It is very difficult to say one thing and do another.

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    Butter is pictured with candy and potato chips as something to eat sparingly.
    Lmfao.

gcube21 is offline Member
    I hear ya big time guys, I'm currently in a nutrition class at my college for my exercise science degree, and the textbook is layed out the same way. it's tough to sit in there and listen to all the things my professor is preaching about. last thursday she said we need 0 grams saturated fat per day to be healthy....it's hard cause I need to study and memorize all the standards put out by the USDA regarding cholesterol/saturated fat, due to the exams coming up.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    That's the way it's going to be until everybody wakes up and realizes what is so wrong with CW. Until then, to achieve your certifications/diplomas/degrees in nutrition you'll have to memorize everything that's wrong so that you can pass your exams.

Sometimes, though, I wonder...why the hell is the primal way so difficult to understand for some people?? Makes you kind of question it...for a second, anyway.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    We are in an era of human-made public health disasters. If our systems of learning survive, they'll look back on this era as one of massive unnecessary suffering. Between vitamin D deficiency and the fat hypothesis we are probably doubling or tripling our health costs at the societal level. And the needless suffering is unforgivable.

Joshy is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking of sqeezing in a health/nutrition minor before I graduate, but some of the stuff goes beyond opposing view points and scientific discrepencies to the point of being just plain pathetic. I mean, I'd be open to listening to an argument for including some natural whole grains in a diet or something like that, but when a college textbook recommends eating enriched grains often, it's hard to take any of it as being credible.

gcube21 is offline Member
    I forgot to mention something else about my nutrition class, and that is pretty much all of the students are totally falling in line with the professor and the USDA standards...practically everyone in the class now thinks eggs, red meat and butter are little death bombs. the professor has everyone brain washed with her stories about Kashi cereal for breakfast...
    it's sad cause everyone in the class seems so eager to learn how to eat healthy by asking a lot of good questions and paying attention, but the professor keeps on feeding them conventional wisdom nonsense.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had the same text for a nutrition class. I'll never forget one assignment we had to do: create an "ideal" food day, using foods that appeal to us but overall must fit into all of the USDA food guidelines (for fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc). My ONLY sources of fat for that day were 1 serving of full-fat yogurt, 1 tsp of avocado oil, and 2 servings of low-fat mozzarella cheese. And yet, I was OVER the RDA for fat from calories!! We had to use a specific program similar to fitday to record our food intake. It was so difficult to find whole foods like "raw", unsalted, unroasted cashews. Yet you could find just about any processed food imaginable. What a bummer! And of course there was no acknowledgment of the difference between grass-finished and grain-finished cattle (so I recorded all of my red meat consumption as turkey!)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast