Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unilever supporting Caveman diet? page

greek_girl is offline Member

Unilever supporting Caveman diet?

Shop Now

greek_girl is offline Member

Simon is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I read that article in the paper. Funny that the stated aim of the Unilever research was to create food and drink products to mimic paleo dietary intake. Ummm...what would be wrong with vegetables and meat then? The article I read presented the research as new and groundbreaking. Really Unilever?

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    The main hallmark of the palaeolithic diet was a huge diversity of plants. Nowadays we try our best to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day. They ate 20 to 25 plant-based foods a day," said Dr Berry

"Palaeolithic man may have died earlier than we do now, but he didn't die of bad nutrition."

"We need to decrease our reliance on refined sugar and a heavy carbohydrate diet, and replace some of the things we have lost," she says

*************well, at least they are catching up, slowly!*************

Although the important thing about this is it is coming from a source that the public may trust. as we know the public as a whole, are idiots and will only believe something if it comes through conventional wisdom channels or big pharma/manf...

maybe this will do more good than harm?

:- )

but seriously 20-25 plants a DAY? What exactly??
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    but seriously 20-25 plants a DAY? What exactly??
    Sounds like bullshit. A nice way to sell you some frankenformula is to convince you that you aren't eating 25 different plants a day (seriously, who the fuck does that) but they have a nice mixed drink that will make up for it.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    I guess if you're roaming around hungry and stuff whatever flora you find in your mouth, it wouldn't be that hard to do. That said, it sure smells like Mercaolaesque marketing, alright.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    They'll try to put primal in a box that you can find next to powerbars or breakfast cereals. I can just see the labeling saying "Eat like our caveman ancestors did!"

Rip City is offline Senior Member
    Well if you're considering a "plant" to be a handful of dandelions, then yeah, I could see 25 a day. If they are talking about what CW considers a serving of food, well then 20-25 would be almost impossible.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by queen_sheba View Post
    The main hallmark of the palaeolithic diet was a huge diversity of plants. Nowadays we try our best to eat five portions of fruit and veg a day. They ate 20 to 25 plant-based foods a day," said Dr Berry
    What is it with this plant-obsession? I like fruit and vegetables, but honestly the mainstream seems obsessed with them even to the exclusion of other richer and more important foods.

You could say from the ethnographic parallels that hunter-gatherers in that era almost certainly knew a vast number of plants - and probably exploited quite a few, depending on the climate and the season.

You could also ask botanists to look at soil samples and tell you which plants were around at a given time by looking at the pollen grains.

But I'm sceptical as to anyone's being able to say how many "plants per day" anyone ate. And if there was plentiful game, people may not have really bothered with plant-food much. At any rate, most don't seem to have eaten much of it judging from stable isotope analysis of bones - example:

Members of the AHOB team have used carbon and nitrogen stable isotope values to demonstrate that late Upper Palaeolithic humans from Gough's and Sun Hole caves had a predominately animal protein based diet.
    http://www.ahobproject.org/AHOBI/isotopes.htm

In fact, in some cases the isotope analysis suggest early humans were so far up the foodchain, they were munching on carnivores.

mozzy10 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    All I can see coming from this is a new line of packaged "Primal" foods. Anyone for a "Paleo Pot Noodle"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast