Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pb without a gallbladder page

Kelz is offline Junior Member

Pb without a gallbladder

Hello,

Does anyone here follow a PB diet that has had their gallbladder removed? I had mine removed at a young age (17), and I'm now 40. I know that the gallbladder helps digest fat, and with all the fat I'm eating now following PB I was wondering if there would be anything I need to look out for or supplements I should be taking. OK wise ones............waiting for your knowledge.

THANKS!!!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Are you even having any gastrointestinal distress on PB? If not, no worries

At least, that's my first thought. I do wonder if there might be any theoretical advantage to lecithin or other things taken long term after cholecystectomy, but I don't think there's any real experimental evidence.

davidtx is offline Member
    My wife is on PB and had her gall bladder out a few months ago. If she really overdoes it on the fat, she gets to make a quick visit to the white throne. That has only happened once and it was pre-PB.

Thanks for starting this thread, it was one of my next things to research. This and she also has Hashimoto's disease.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder out about 18 years ago. From the time it was removed, until I went low carb/primal, diarrhea was a problem. Since changing my eating habits my diarrhea issues have all but disappeared.

I have no problems with the increase in dietary fats.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtx View Post
    My wife is on PB and had her gall bladder out a few months ago. If she really overdoes it on the fat, she gets to make a quick visit to the white throne. That has only happened once and it was pre-PB.

Thanks for starting this thread, it was one of my next things to research. This and she also has Hashimoto's disease.
    Hashimotos is very frequently found in folks who are gluten intolerant, as is gallbladder disease.

http://www.gluten-free.org/hoggan/gall.txt
    https://www.enterolab.com/StaticPages/Faq.aspx

Some years ago I had gallbladder problems and ultimately had emergency surgery to remove my gallbladder and clear the common duct, before I went gluten free. While my GI problems improved after going gluten free and getting gallbladder surgery, some symptoms and dyspepsia remained. An upper GI endoscopy showed bile, highly irritating, in the stomach. Probably would have been stored in my gallbladder had it not been removed, but was just running into the duodenum, probably like a constantly leaky faucet, and refluxing into the stomach.

DGL Licorice lozenges ((De-Glycyrrhizinated Licorice) provided significant relief. Ultimately some months of a strict paleo diet overcame the GI problems entirely. I feel that the gallbladder dysfunction was caused by gluten intake and wish I had everything to do over again. I'd go off gluten and might not need gallbladder surgery.

After years of GI problems, I've tolerated a paleo type diet very well without a gallbladder, but I tend to follow more of a Cordain model that does not include a great deal of fat or saturated fat. I assume that a really high intake of fat would be better handled with a gallbladder in place that could contract and release bile to aid in processing of all the fat.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    I had my gallbladder removed a little over 2 years ago. I had general digestion problems at first. Oddly enough high starch / sugar foods are worse for me than high fat. I've not had any issues since going primal / paleo. I've yet to find an amount of fat (bacon, chard with duck fat, butter, etc) that upsets my digestion. I am very sensitive to any alcohol though, but that may have more to do with the severe pancreatitis that the first failed attempt to remove the gallbladder / stones caused and the subsequent pancreatic cysts that led to about 1/3 of my pancreas being removed.

Kelz is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for their input.

bblean is offline Junior Member
    I have been PB for 6 months and had my gall bladder taken out 3 weeks ago. I am trying to ease back in to the diet .

Apples celery carrots celery and root vegetables have been fine. Leafy greens take getting used to. Im trying to vary my meats more. I'm not over doing the fats to see how my system adjusts. I have been using coconut oil exclusively and that seems to help as well.

Worst part is the recovery and not being able to get into the primal excercise routine right away.

Primal Onahill is offline Junior Member
    My girl doesn't have a gall bladder or most of a colon, and eating PB is the best thing to happen to her system. She has no problems with fat.

GrokGoddess is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hadn't thought about it until now, but I find that after going Primal (6 weeks ago) that I have only had one bout of "the runs".
    Even after I had my GB removed 3 years ago I still ate a terrible diet, didn't avoid fat intentionally as CW suggested I should, maybe it was the carbs and gluten intolerance that gave me diarrhoea and now that they have been eliminated I feel so much better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast