Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone that likes beef but doesn't like bison? page

lizch is offline Senior Member

Is there anyone that likes beef but doesn't like bison?

Shop Now
    I'm thinking of cooking the Shanks a Lot recipe from the PB cookbook. It would be my first experiment with bison. From what I've read, bison tastes like a richer, sweeter beef, so I'm pretty sure I'll like it. But before I sink all that money into the bison shanks, I thought I'd ask if anyone doesn't like it?

(I know, I know, it would probably make more sense to cook a small amount of ground bison as the first experiment, but that bison shanks recipe sounds so darned good).
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Bison is my top favorite meat available in the local supermarket. Usually always grass fed and most often local. At least for me in Oklahoma. It is tasty and you can do anything that is done with beef with it and most people won't know---or care. It is good.

Another local supermarket meat that can be counted on to be "clean" is turkey breast. Not as much flavor as the juicy, greasy, legs and thighs but not usually pesticide-laced so much.

I see that you are in Washington. Check around for a butcher shop serving wild game and try some elk.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I like bison very much. It doesn't taste very different from beef to me. The local grass-fed bison I get is much leaner than most beef, however, so you have to account for that in cooking. I don't find the ground meat sticks together as well for making hamburgers, compared to fattier beef. (I've only ever used it ground and in steaks, got no clue what that means for a shank!)

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    beef i can eat plain even groudn beef and enoy the hell out of it. i use bison for things like meatballs, i usually take grounded bison with green onion/garlic and a shot of cumin & red pepper, sea salt

bison, to me is more gamey like deer so what you cook with it you need to expect that flavor in it. it lends itself well with earthy food like swiss chard IMO

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Well rats, Whole Foods didn't have bison shank or even beef shank. Just veal shank (which I'm not willing to eat) or lamb shank (which I'd probably love but my husband doesn't like even mild lamb cuts).

So I have a buffalo chuck. I think I'll add a beef oxtail in the hope of building up the flavor I was expecting to get from the shank.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I love ground bison, haven't had it any other way yet but I'm on the hunt!

Sam Cree is offline Senior Member
    I love bison. The different cuts taste and act differently, just as they do with beef. Even different grades of ground bison have different flavors.

erzard is offline Junior Member
    Before primal when we wanted a special treat to cook at home we would splurge for bison meat for burgers YUM! Even then I recognized how much better of a meat it was, now I know why!!! Get some bison and enjoy
    Following primal pages and info for about 6 months, tinkered around and didn't fully commit. Been living Gluten Free for 4 years due to severe gluten intolerance (probably celiacs but not willing to let them cut me up to find out!) Primal Challenge '10 is the time, I am ready and raring to go!!

Fully Primal Starting 9/7/10- Weight 197
    2 weeks in 9/21/10 - 190

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    You might try the lamb anyhow. I don't like grilled or roasted lamb much, as a rule, but stewed lamb is a totally different story.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I love bison meat. For my chili, I use sirloin, buffalo, and lamb. D***ed if it isn't tasty. I prefer it to beef, actually, but I'm too cheap to spring for it that often.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast