Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question: What Are Best Grain Replacements? page

Grizz is offline Banned

Question: What Are Best Grain Replacements?

Primal Fuel
    My wife is looking for what to use to replace flour. Any ideas?

Grizz

inga is offline Member
    almond flour seems popular, but personally, we just dont use any flour replacements. It depends what you are doing. Almond flour works for pancakes but a tiny bit of cornstarch/potato starch does a better job of thickening stew etc

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    What's she need it for?
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I've used coconut flour a few times and have been happy with the results. But don't try to substitute the same amount of coconut flour for wheat flour in a recipe! I made that mistake. You need MUCH less coconut flour.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annika View Post
    I've used coconut flour a few times and have been happy with the results. But don't try to substitute the same amount of coconut flour for wheat flour in a recipe! I made that mistake. You need MUCH less coconut flour.
    And a lot more eggs! OP, if your wife wants to make muffins or something, tell her to google recipes for gluten-free muffins instead of using her old recipe and merely subbing in an alternate flour for wheat.

Ouis is offline Member
    i think a bake mix of almond flour, coconut flour and flaxmeal is best. You need to experiment with the percentages to get what YOU like--my mix is 1/3 of each--and then make sure to increase liquids (eggs, etc) to compensate for the degree of absorption in your mix

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I like 1/2 coconut flour, 1/2 almond meal.

But I consider this a rare thing - like a weekly (or less) treat otherwise it gets me started on the snacky, munchy behavior of my former food addicted days.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Why bother? The idea is not to create CW clones using Primal food. It's to throw out the whole concept of CW "food" and eat real food.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you need some flour, I've done a couple of things with a mix of buckwheat and coconut flour that turned out ok - you need a bit more liquid than normal though. Overall I'm with Griff though, I'd rather have my eggs-and-leftovers every day than pancakes any day.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It totally depends on the recipe. In some you can use anything dry that is ground to a flour (pepper would work, except for taste). In others you need starches or other thickeners. In still others you can't substitute wheat flour without creating an entirely different result.

But it's way easier to do a tasty primal meal instead of fiddling with wheat based recipes until you get something edible. Which still is way easier than coming up with a tasty wheat substituted thingy. If you just want to eat something good, cook something else. If you want to replace flour in a specific recipe because the recipe is special to you ask for replacements in the specific recipe and be prepared for dozends of failures (not all recipes need that much work, but you never know...).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast