Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carb cravings page

moonablaze is offline Senior Member

carb cravings

Primal Fuel
    I'm kinda going nuts here. I've been grain-free for a while and trying to get off sugar. I seem to do fine for a few days and then all I can think about is sweets. I usually end up either eating something drenched in honey or buying a candy bar when I'm out. I had a dream about cookies last night. I didn't have anything sweet left in the house (got rid of the last a few days ago) so when I went to the grocery store, I impulse-bought some caramel and scarfed it down.

Any advice for this? I really want to get off these cravings and start losing some weight!

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Can you try using fruit instead? It's really pretty sweet once you cut the other sweets from your diet.

Longtail4711 is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem. I also do the honey thing, but also fruit or yams, and a few squares of dark chocolate really hits the spot. You just gotta work through it! BTW, a little sweets for my carb cravings hasn't hurt my weight loss any. I'm still dropping like a brick.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I've been trying to keep it to apples or berries, (including frying the apples in bacon fat and putting cream on my berries) and they just don't seem to cut it... :/

lucky you Longtail, I lost 3 lbs at the beginning of this summer but not a lb since (although my belt has gotten smaller). part of the problem is probably the abuse my body has been through with low fat diets most of my life, plus stress and depression (and antidepressants and HBC)

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am only three weeks into eating primal. I am a dessert/sweets junkie. What I have found, is that when I am craving that kind of food, I just need to eat something primal with lots of fat and then the craving will go away. Worst case scenario, I eat an apple with almond butter, a piece of dark chocolate with some berries, or a handful of grapes or sweet cherries. But usually more primal food with fat will take care of it.

It will get better, I was at a bakery today that everyone raves about, so I decided to get a pecan breakfast roll (very unprimal, but I thought it would be a worthy 20%). It tasted sooooo overly sweet to me, that my mouth was actually itchy for about an hour after eating it.

P.S. - You could also try transitioning with some Lara bars....very carby, but better than a candy bar.
    Last edited by jammies; 09-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Try some of the sweeter fruits like banana or papaya. Buy lots of different ones and also sweet potatoes. There is also dark chocolate; you can melt it and dip berries in it. Mash an avocado with a lot of cocoa and the sweetest fruit you can get. It makes an amazing chocolate pudding.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    When I first went primal, I tried to "fill the sweetness void" with fruit and honey...but it's really still SUGAR. And left me wanting more and more sugar. For me, it was like wearing a nicotine patch instead of smoking. I'd just changed the method of delivery. Honestly, I had to pretty much cut out all sugar (including fruit) to slay my sugar demon. Took about, I dunno, four weeks but I no longer crave it. I can take or leave sweet stuff. And eating fruit doesn't lead me back down the sugar path. I'd developed quite a sweet tooth and love of desserts while I was overweight and primal helped curtail it, but it took going cold turkey for a while to really kick the habit.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you want to lose weight--and the sweet cravings, I'd advise going 'cold turkey' including fruit. I find that anything sweet just stokes my 'sweet tooth.'

In the beginning, I found that sour was a good solution when I craved something sweet--e.g., a big dill pickle. Surprisingly, it was satisfying, and the craving for sweet disappeared.

These days, my two 'treats' are almond butter and unsweetened baking chocolate. I ration both, but it's good to have a treat available that's not sweet.

I've also found that after being 'sweet free' for about a year, I can have an occasional indulgence without getting my sweet tooth back--but truly 'occasional'--like once in 3 months. Any more, and I know I'd be 'hooked' again.

Adrianne is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Try some of the sweeter fruits like banana or papaya. Buy lots of different ones and also sweet potatoes. There is also dark chocolate; you can melt it and dip berries in it. Mash an avocado with a lot of cocoa and the sweetest fruit you can get. It makes an amazing chocolate pudding.
    I second the sweet potato suggestion. It can smash a crab craving flat.

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i have had brutal carb cravings this past month.

i think it's all psychological. which in theory means you 'just' have to change what you link pain and pleasure to. i don't even want to do that right now, i get so much pleasure from sweets. it's dumb. check out tony robbins stuff on how to re-program yourself and what you link pain/pleasure to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast