Thread: Just read Good Calories, Bad Calories -- did I miss something? page

Viking is offline Senior Member

Just read Good Calories, Bad Calories -- did I miss something?

Primal Fuel
    Gary Taubes' information-rich book was a real eye opener on the fairly sad history of nutrition research. By sad I mean, it's too bad as much attention wasn't spent on the carbs> glucose> insulin> disease research track as was on the fat>disease track!

In the later chapters, when he was really exploring the Carb Hypothesis and what happens in our bodies when we eat a bunch of carbs, I kept hoping/expecting him to speculate on possible evolutionary *reasons* for these reactions of storing fat and not allowing fat stores to be utilized when insulin was present. As I was reading I was thinking it sure seems like it is some kind of starvation response to pack on fat stores when meat is not available and we (Grok) ate starchy roots, fruits, honey, or seeds.

Does this make sense? Did he mention this anywhere?

I know I have read about this idea elsewhere -- PB? Maybe Robb Wolf has mentioned it?

PS: Woo Hoo -- I'm a Member! I'm a Member! (no longer a Junior Member)!!!!

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Thats a very good point. I shall think about it too. I have read Good Calories Bad Calories and I find it very interesting. But I don't have an answer.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I don't think it's a starvation response, as much as it is preparation for lean times. Nature generally provides sugary stuff seasonally, which would (possibly) help us pack on a few extra fat pounds to prepare for the food shortage of winter:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fruit...ility-seasons/
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Viking is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    I don't think it's a starvation response, as much as it is preparation for lean times. Nature generally provides sugary stuff seasonally, which would (possibly) help us pack on a few extra fat pounds to prepare for the food shortage of winter:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fruit...ility-seasons/
    That was an interesting viewpoint, thanks for pointing it out. Makes a lot of sense (the whole post, not only Mark's input).

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I read about this in Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, and Survival. Essentially, the desire to eat sugar is a seasonal response that happens in late summer/early fall when the fruit is ripe that allows us to pack on a layer of fat for the lean winter ahead.

With the industrial revolution, indoor lighting made it "summer all the time." Our high-stress, fast-paced lifestyle (two more characteristics of a natural summer - mating season) reinforces this instinct.