Thread: Questions for the Cyclists page

Joe
    Joe is offline Senior Member

Questions for the Cyclists

Primal Fuel
    Bike shop guy was kinda non commital about answering any questions I asked. Unfortunately my 'regular' guy (the owner) was outta town. So I'm asking you all.

I have a hybrid bike (Schwinn Sierra) that I have put about 600 miles on, and maybe 30 miles of Mountain Bike trail riding. It has only seen 3 months of daily use.

6th gear (my favorite) started slipping under any sort of load, so off to the bike shop I go. They tell me the "freewheel" was worn out already. Also bike guy tells me I need to clean and lube the chain more. Finally he said my chain had stretched and replaced it with a new one.

Seems like pretty early to wear out parts like that. Wife says I'm hard on the bike. I do sprint hard with it nearly every ride; but just for 30 seconds or so at a time.

Questions:

1) recommended chain lube, technique and frequency ?

2) what else can I do to prevent a repeat of this in 3 more months ?

PS I hate when things break.
    Last edited by Joe; 09-24-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I reccomend a bike / component upgrade. I rode hybrids for years, now i ride a road bike. just like any tool, quality counts. Cycling can be a expensive hobby, especially if you are hard on it, & cant do repairs yourself. what components are on it?
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Joe
    Hi Chairdr;

Its got the base Schwinn stuff. I think the deraileur is Shimano and the frame and brakes I like alot. Given that I've just become a regular cyclist this year, I'm still learning.

I just have the feeling that better quality stuff than price point factory parts might make a big difference.

Speaking of the component upgrade, both the chain and the "freewheel" (I assume he meant cassette as it has all 7 new gears on it too) that he put my bike look very different than what it came with. The factory stuff was dark gray from the factory and the new stuff is silver.

What do you think about how/when to lube and clean the chain and how often ? Bike shop guy tells me to clean and oil the chain after every other ride. I dunno, that just seemed ridiculously often, but again I'm a newbie in bikes; maybe that's the only way you make it last ?

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    components are like anything else, every year they tweek the model just enought to make it different. Just because its shimano, that does not mean it performs well. They have several different levels. I usually do 40-50 miles @ a shot. depending on the dirt/sand levels on the road you need to adjust how often you clean.simple if you see grit, clean it.do not over lube. Buy a cheap $12 chain cleaner. & if you can, buy a decent work stand. I wanted one for 20 years, & when I finally got it, i was pissed I hadn't earlier. you might not want to invest into that bike. I bought my bike used on ebay & considered it as a frame almost a blank canvas. You can find parts on ebay, or "bike nashbar" pretty cheap. Check out the "park tools" website for instrucional videos on bike maintenance. anyone can do it. I still leave the fine tuning to my local hippe bike mechanic.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Grizz is offline Banned
    Joe,
    I suggest using a GOOD Motorcycle Chain Lube on your bike:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Grizz
    Last edited by Grizz; 09-24-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Joe,
    I suggest using a GOOD Motorcycle Chain Lube on your bike:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

Grizz
    Grizz - is that recommendation based on your experience with bicycles. motorcycles, or both ?

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairdr View Post
    I still leave the fine tuning to my local hippe bike mechanic.
    Ain't that the truth. Still I love those guys. They're doing what they love, which is nice to see in this world ...

Grizz is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Joe,
    Both. I used to race Enduro with a motorcycle where the chains got the WORST treatment imaginable. Through rivers, sand dunes, mud, you name it, minimal wear & stretch. Since then I always use motorcycle chain lube on all my chains, never had one wear out.

Grizz