Thread: fitday.com quesiton page

alexa85 is offline Senior Member

fitday.com quesiton

Primal Fuel
    i really really dislike logging all my food daily. i told myself once i quit obsessively calorie counting and slaving on the eliptical machine (in my CW weight loss days) that i would never ever count calories again. back then i used the iphone app "lose it". it got really bad...because i always have my phone with me, but i got to where i couldn't even eat my food without logging it first. ugh. i hate it. but i also know that if i don't log my info that chances are my carbs are higher than i think they are and my fat is lower than i think it is.
    so i gave it a whirl yesterday. i like fitday.com it's much easier and quicker to type all of that info on a computer than onto an iphone. one thing i really don't like is that, from what i can figure, i can't really change the serving size. on the app it allowed you to put the serving size in almost any measurement when creating a custom food. then after that, when you were logging it you could put in any serving size. for example - if they serving size is 2oz. you could put that in (instead of it just saying "1 serving"), but then when logging you could log that you had two table spoons of said food and it would do the figuring for you. with fitday.com i'm left trying to convert units etc? not fun or easy (for me at least)
    am i missing something? is there a way to do this on fitday.com?
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Redflame is offline Senior Member
    What I do is go through and add my actual food, and not worry about the amount until I have all the foods listed. Then I change the amounts, and/or units all down the list and hit "change" or 'apply' or what ever that button is. It is much quicker that way for me.

fit day is not perfect in my eyes, but it is workable. I actually like the logging on sparkspeople.com better, and you get a little better reports, so you can track your micro nutrients, or just pop in now and then and see how you are doing

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    ditto Redflame. i use sparkpeople too and my fave part is that I can find a past meal and copy to another day and adjust. Since I eat a lot of similar stuff it's faster for me.

I don't intend on tracking forever either... I have found that as I do it, I am starting to fall into the ratios I want naturally most of the time... within range at least. It's rare that I go over and don't "know" it... i.e. have a couple of glasses of wine, etc. I think once you figure out what ratios work for you and make you happy, you get a feel for it and tracking can go by the wayside.

I should qualify that because I am hypothyroid so I've got a lot of stuff going on I'm trying to fix, including tracking specific nutrients to see what I'm coming up short on and by how much. not everybody is going to need all of that...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I never could figure out fitday. I use livestrong...it was an easy interface for me to learn and they have a large database. I couldn't stand the forum setup on sparkpeople so I never even tried their food logger.

I track out of curiousity...sometimes out of boredom LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

RednGreen is offline Member
    You can select the drop down in the Total column and, most of the time, select different measurement methods, ie cup, tablespoon, etc.

You can also select past foods and meals, which I love because I pretty much eat the same things during the week. On the recent foods drop down, the last choice is "More." This gives you a complete list of all the foods you've eaten and you can just go through the list adding checkmarks. Then, you can adjust the amounts. I have quite a few foods listed in My Custom Foods as well.

I'm sure there are easier sites out there, but I really like fitday. Good luck!
    "It may be normal darling, but I'd rather be natural." -Holly Golightly

mizski is offline Senior Member
    I use Fitday PC and have not had problems with portions. Sometimes you have to use a fractional amount. A lot of people like Fatsecret. They have a phone app too.

what i mean is when you are creating a food it seems that the only option is "one serving". so i just created one for pepper jack cheese. the serving size is one oz. but it won't let me enter that so it just says "one serving". then when i add it to my daily log and change the serving size to oz. and save changes it shows that i have just eaten 3,000 calories worth of pepper jack cheese....

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    dailyburn has the easiest, fastest interface of the lot in my experience. but you only get macros unless you pay for the upgrade. The iphone app is great too and syncs automatically with the online logging.

the most thorough is nutritiondata.self.com but it's got a horrible UI.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Joe B is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexa85 View Post
    what i mean is when you are creating a food it seems that the only option is "one serving". so i just created one for pepper jack cheese. the serving size is one oz. but it won't let me enter that so it just says "one serving". then when i add it to my daily log and change the serving size to oz. and save changes it shows that i have just eaten 3,000 calories worth of pepper jack cheese....
    To get around that, just pick a cheese that is similar to pepper jack and change the nutritional info. For example, select "American Cheese" and pick the 1oz serving option. Then click "edit this food," and type in the nutritional info for pepper jack cheese and rename it. Now it goes on your "custom food" list, and whenever you eat it again just go to the list and select it. I've done this a bunch of times, just google the nutritional info and you are good to go.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks ciliakat! daily burn is 100x better. much easier to navigate and allows you to enter serving size!