Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my skin still so dry? page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Why is my skin still so dry?

Primal Fuel
    I've been plagued with dry skin my entire life. Eczema every winter, etc. To the point of having to use prescription lotions daily when I was a kid.

Moving to the northeast from the southwest helped because of the humidity, but my skin is still chronically dry.

I thought for sure switching to primal eating would help - all that fat has got to do something for the skin, right? I drink my water every day, etc.

If anything, I feel like my skin might even be more dry than it was before PB.

I was using Aveeno oatmeal lotion, then when that stopped being enough I went to pure almond oil, and now jojoba oil, all without success. I also switched to an organic homemade cleansing bar with the first 3 ingredients being various oils. I still have dry patches all over and they are already starting to itch. If I don't get this under control I'll have full blown eczema again pretty soon! Also, my keratosis pilaris has started to come back.

Any suggestions of what might help?

ETA: I've been primal for about 6 months.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I found a huge improvement in my dry skin when I quit using soap all together. I used to have to put lotion on immediately after bathing or begin to suffer. Now I only moisturize with a natural oil once every week or two. It has been so liberating.
    For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member
    do you eat a lot of fruit?
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    How often are you showering? Bathing too much can be irritating for eczema. I find I have to be very careful with skin products too--anything with urea can cause a reaction for me, and it is often used in medical-type moisturizers. Also check for lanolin as some people are sensitive to it too.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Harrass me on this question tomorrow. I used to have the most freakishly dry skin and have some info to offer. Just got done making dinner for 8, house is clean, have to change my clothes as everyone is showing up in 15.....

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

kcult is offline Senior Member
    I have nothing really to add of any worth, but this is one improvement I've seen so far with this style of eating. I didn't notice it myself, being a dude and all, but my wife has commented on it more than once and that made me take notice. My skin is almost to the point that it feels like it has a layer of something slick on it and I apply nothing after my daily shower.

I hope you find a solution soon!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat dairy? Eczema can be related to food intolerance. I know several people who control their eczema with a combination of vitamin D and elimination of dairy.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    You could just be stuck with dry skin......it happens. Sorry I have nothing else to add, my wife has it and diet doesn't seem to effect it.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

jennf is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I eat a bit of fruit, but only occasionally. Same thing with dairy. Way less than I used to but my skin is still more dry than it has been.

I shower the same amount as always, too (4-5 times per week) and actually use fewer chemicals than I have in the past.

That's what's driving me crazy is that now I'm being so careful about what I put in my body and what I use on my body and it's getting worse instead of better. What else am I missing???

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    There must be something causing this. A lot of the time eczema and dry skin is dietary related. For short term relief I would recommend coconut oil to moisturise your skin, but I would try eliminating all dairy, eggs and possible allergens from your diet for at least a month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast