Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Wendy1) page 3

sofiawahaj Guest

Primal Fuel

You are doing GREAT Wendy! And I am always here if you need someone to go on a walk with (esp on Tues and Thurs). We could even set something up on a regular basis if you want to? I think exercising with a friend is more fun than alone! I am really looking forward to grocery shopping together this week!!!

Keep up all the good work, Wendy! I am so proud of you!

Ha, ha! Sofi, every time I see your avi, I hear your little Maya say "Do you remember what my name is?". She cracks me up.

Wendy1 Guest

Good morning! It's a little wet this morning in the PNW. A nice change after the unrelenting heat we've had this summer!

To finish up yesterday(Day 4), I didn't really sit down and have lunch -- just had a few bites of veggies, fruit and meat while preparing Kylie's lunch. Then we went to Costco for some regular stuff and some new PB foods! Got organic eggs, baby spinach, goat cheese, some cream (they didn't have organic but I figure it's mostly a little here and a little there). Also almond butter and almonds. Oh, and I saw but didn't buy organic blue agave there, a two-pack for I think $7. I haven't decided on a sweetener yet.

Dinner was FANTASTIC! Not to pat myself on the back or anything... I wanted to make something colorful so that I could take a pic for the "show your dinner" contest, so I looked through some cookbooks and found a recipe of some vividly green spinach and garlic scape soup -- but it's not the season for garlic scapes, and the recipe called for three big baking potatoes. So, I started improvising and came up with garlic-basil-spinach soup -- yum!! And, beautiful, as well. To go with that we had spaghetti squash with sage-brown butter sauce and grilled lemon herb chicken.

Tried to lift some heavy things last night but our weights are not very heavy (but I did double them up and do less reps). I think I'll have to improvise with some household objects next time, or invest in something new.

Evening snack: When Kevin got a little hungry later on and normally would be reaching for ice cream, I whipped up a little bit of cream with some lemon zest and vanilla and served with fresh peach slices to dip in it!

Didn't sleep very well, not sure why.

Day 5

Lotsa housework to do today, and then a dentist appt for Kylie. Breakfast was spinach-onion omelettes (Kylie is complaining about hers as I type this even tho I put cheese in hers. Oh well) and then Kevin and Kylie also had some soy sausage that is left in the freezer from pre-PB.

sofiawahaj Guest

Sassa - that picture is actually ME when I was a baby! Everyone says that Maya looks JUST like me and she does, of course! She's a funny one.

Ladies (Sassa and Wendy): I was daydreaming about having a little appetizer party with the 3 of us (plus the families, of course) and we could all bring appetizers and maybe drink some wine (80/20 rule, right?). One day, let's organize something like that!

Wendy1 Guest

Sofi, I didn't know that was you, either! Too funny!

The appetizer party sounds great! We would be happy to host (I assume we're in the middle geographically, and we have a big yard for the kids to run around in).

I think I have Monday open for an Enumclaw playdate, but will double check to make sure. There's also supposed to be a great hike right near there, although I am not sure how long it is and whether the kiddos could do it. Sassa, do you know what I am talking about? I think it's called Mount Peak. Anyhow, that might be fun to do together on a weekend sometime.

sofiawahaj Guest

Wendy, they have organic eggs at Costco??? I thought I looked and never found them? Maybe I didn't look right. I wouldn't recommend the agave - if you read about it on this forum, it's basically the same as HFCS (same with honey) - they are all fructose. That one couple recommended corn sugar (which they bought at the brewing store) b/c it's pure glucose which doesn't go to your liver and get stored as fat. But glucose, fructose and sucrose will all raise insulin levels. This weekend, I tried a combo of erythritol and stevia and it didn't cause more sugar cravings like splenda and other sugars have.

Yes, your dinner sounds FANTASTIC! What is garlic scape anyways? I am going to make spaghetti squash with sage-brown butter sauce one day! Do you have a recipe? I could probably find one on line...

Wendy1 Guest

yep the eggs are right there with the other ones, but maybe they were out the day you looked. It's an 18-pack for I think $3 something. I just went and looked for my receipt but can't find it...

What is erythritol? where do you get it?

The spag squash I just steamed until I could get the strands out. The sage-brown butter sauce is easy, but based on a giada delaurentiis recipe. It's a stick of butter (preferably unsalted) in a pan. Heat over med-high heat for about 4 minutes, until light golden. Add the torn pieces of 6 sage leaves (or you can do basil she says) and cook about 2 min or until crisp. By this point the butter should have the "browned" look and little bits of brown throughout. Then you can add a little nutmeg if you want, plus salt and pepper to taste. She also calls for 1/3 cup fresh parmesean -- I added it into the pot, which bubbled up and then ended up making little crisp things of cheese throughout the sauce, but you could also grate it on top.

Wendy, your recipes sound awesome! I have yet to do spaghetti squash, but I've always wanted to!

I like Erythritol and Xylitol, but supposedly Erythritol is better. I can't stand Stevia, so I'm using up my $23 canister of it by adding it with Erythritol here and there. (I ordered Erythritol online, with Amazon.com). Xylitol is in our local health food store and at Marlene's (in Federal Way - I highly recommend taking a trip out there).

As for the appetizer get-together, that sounds like fun! I am open for, say, Friday evening, Labor day weekend? (My August has been jam-packed!).

Funny about Mt. Peak, I hike that in the morning about 3x/ week. It's pretty intense and is about a mile long up and another mile down. Kids can go up (I did as a kid), but it would be slow-going for them and a warning that they may end up talking us into carrying them the rest of the way! ;-)

sofiawahaj Guest

Your brown butter sounds Delicious (yes, that's a capital "D"). I can't wait to try it.

I found the eggs at Costco too. I dunno why I didn't see them there last time, unless they just started carrying them or else I was possibly overwhelmed with screaming kids and didn't have my head on straight.

I haven't tried xylitol, but I just tried erythritol and it tasted great and didn't cause me to crave more (ie, I could stop after one cookie). This is the key to a good sweetener for me. I mixed it with a little stevia and it was great. As long as I don't start craving sugar! That stuff is like crack!

Let's plan something over FB ladies - I can't make it labor day weekend (dad is in town).

Wendy1 Guest

Sass and Sofi, thanks for the input on sweeteners! I look forward to experimenting. How funny about Mount Peak! Well, doesn't sound like it would be good to do with Kylie, but I still would love to do that sometime.

Day 5, contd.

I didn't actually eat my spinach omelette at breakfast time -- wasn't that hungry so had it midmorning instead. Then, when Kylie and I got back from the dentist, I was mildly hungry so had some leftover spaghetti squash and some almonds. Oh, and later on, half a peach with some almond butter.

Dinner: Rubbed some pork chops with cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt, pepper, olive oil. Grilled slowly then at the end brushed on a puree of balsamic vinegar, cider vinegar, pureed peach and apple, and garlic. Had those with a spinach salad with warm bacon-cherry tomato dressing. (Tomatoes, onions out of our garden

Speaking of the garden, our last planting of lettuce and spinach sprouted the other day, and for some reason it's just always so exciting watching seeds come up!!

No formal exercise today. Need to step that up tomorrow.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast