Thread: Couple of unrelated questions about health page

Couple of unrelated questions about health

Primal Fuel
    1) Why it is said that fitness reduces blood pressure. What exactly is the underlying mechanism it reduces bp?

2) In Wikipedia it says the main physiological factors for blood pressure are: heart rate, blood volume, resistance of vessels and viscosity. I don't understand how heart rate correlates with bp. Note: this statement is lacking citation.

3) Can common cold or other viral infections spread _directly_ from touching hands? What I understand is that you must first touch your eyes/nose with "infected" hands before the virus can spread.

4) What is your view on acid/alkaline balance in diet. I understand that the body only works in very narrow range of pH which it maintains by homeostasis. But could eating only entirely acid food put stress on your body by trying to maintain this homeostasis?

Shannon J is offline Junior Member
    #3. If I understand the question correctly, the answer is no, you can not get a cold from the virus getting onto your hands. The cold virus has to grow in the nasal passages, and it gets there by contaminated hands touching your nose or eyes (through the tear ducts to the nose) or directly through the air (someone coughs or sneezes close to you). Your hands get it directly from the infected person or through a vector (door knobs, keyboards, etc.) Other viruses can be spread orally in a similar fashion to the cold virus. Definitely keep your hands away from your face!

Grizz is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1) Why it is said that fitness reduces blood pressure. What exactly is the underlying mechanism it reduces bp?
    Our bodies are constantly under construction to either replace worn, dead cells, or to supply the demands placed on it by life. Exercise not only builds muscle, but also new capillaries & blood vessels. This results in increase in blood flow which reduces blood pressure. The body is even capable of building new arteries to the heart, which replace those blocked by fatty deposits. For couch potatoes, a lack of exercise makes capillaries & blood vessels atrophy raising blood pressure.

I don't understand how heart rate correlates with bp.
    Constricted blood veins and reduced capillaries requires more beats per second to force the blood through, and also higher blood pressure. When our bodies have constructed a mass of new veins and capillaries, there is more blood flow & lowered blood pressure. This allows for a lower HR.

But could eating only entirely acid food put stress on your body by trying to maintain this homeostasis?
    I suggest following Mark's food guidelines, with a balance of meats, eggs, fats, fruits, veggies & nuts. Don't mess with our "Natural Diet."

Best of health to all,
    Grizz