Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lectins and autoimmune Hashimoto's / food reactions page

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member

Lectins and autoimmune Hashimoto's / food reactions

Primal Fuel
    Okay, so I had a breast cancer scare a few weeks ago, but everything turned out to be fine. I'm doing prophylactic treatment from a nutritionist/doctor...iodine (had 3 docs say it's okay even with Hashi's), evening primrose oil, vitamin E, and no caffeine in addition to other supplements (vit D, fish oil, NAC, magnesium).

I am just now learning about lectins. I think Mark mentioned them in PB, but it's been awhile since I read that.

My problem is that I don't know what to eat. I thought eggs were okay, but now I read that they're not for autoimmune conditions. So I'm confused. And lately I'm having a lot of joint and muscle pain and unrelenting fatigue; I fear that the autoimmune condition is progressing.

What can I eat? I have had severe stomach cramping related to bananas, avocados, peanuts, tomatoes, and melon. Do these all have high levels of lectins? Dairy doesn't appear to bother me, but I am going to stop eating it because I feel inflamed all over and want an anti-inflammatory diet for awhile.

Can someone just tell me where to start please? If eggs and cheese are no good, there goes my breakfast. And if dairy's out, so is yogurt. And I really don't like eating meat all day. I don't feel well eating meat all day.

If someone can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. I know I have to make some major changes because I'm not feeling well at all.

Thanks.

Alan M is online now Senior Member
    Here's a great MDA article on Lectins.

Also, this series on the thyroid from The Healthy Skeptic is interesting.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I have Hashi's and have NEVER head that about eggs. What's the source of this information?

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    I also have Hashi's and have never heard about eggs being a problem. I eat about 30 eggs a week. I make a yummy 3-egg pancake with coconut flour and wild blueberries on top for breakfast. I think, but I'm not sure, that you can balance some inflammatory foods with anti-inflammatory ones to help. Eat plenty of omega 3, tumeric, and berries and not too much chicken and pork fat. It's true: you gotta eat! And you gotta not feel deprived! Good luck!

I read it in Robb Wolf's book. And here is another link:
    http://thepaleodiet.blogspot.com/201...update-on.html

I have also read it elsewhere, but don't have the links right now.
    Last edited by ShannonPA-S; 09-24-2010 at 06:59 AM.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    Chalk up another egg eater with Hashimoto's here. I only recently read that eggs might cause trouble if you have an autoimmune disease from Robb Wolf's book, so it's a new one on me, too. I haven't had any difficulty with eggs that I know of. My immunity trouble came from wheat.

fyrespryte is offline Senior Member
    I don't know what Robb is referring to specifically, but I know that eggs can cause my IBS symptoms to flair up. I get the same reaction with banana's and I think it's connected to leaky gut. I think it's got something to do with a particular type of protein or something that's getting through my intestinal wall and being attacked by my immune system. So, in that way...eggs might not be great for someone with an autoimmune disorder who also has leaky gut.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrespryte View Post
    I don't know what Robb is referring to specifically, but I know that eggs can cause my IBS symptoms to flair up. I get the same reaction with banana's and I think it's connected to leaky gut. I think it's got something to do with a particular type of protein or something that's getting through my intestinal wall and being attacked by my immune system. So, in that way...eggs might not be great for someone with an autoimmune disorder who also has leaky gut.
    I used to get the same reaction from eggs that I get from bananas and avocado. But I don't now. That was when my IBS symptoms were majorly flaring. I found a certain type of probiotic (Digestive Advantage IBS) that I swear took care of it...after no doctor I saw or any other approach worked (I tried various lifestyle/diet changes, aloe, herbals, hypnosis, etc). I still take it regularly because it's cheap. But I don't consider it my primary probiotic (it just prevents the symptoms).

You are usually told that bananas are good for an upset tummy. NOT in my case. In the event that my daughter doesn't finish her banana, I won't even attempt to eat it. Pain for hours is the typical result. Same with avocado. Melons aren't as bad on an empty stomach.

I also don't remember if lectins is what Robb was referring to. I don't have the book handy, so I can't look. But I do know that he recommends eggs except for autoimmune conditions.

This thread is somewhat reassuring. I'm assuming it's probably the overall amount of lectins. If you're eating a SAD diet with tons of wheat and dairy, it's probably different than a diet with occasional (or even regular) egg consumption.

I think I'm going to try Krispin's approach to elimination. I'm going to remove all grains and legumes (which I don't really eat much anyway), dairy, and eggs. I guess I will remove the nightshades too because I have had my stomach react to tomatoes before. Then in 7 days I'm going to introduce eggs for a day and see what happens. Then go off for 2 days. If I don't have any symptoms, I figure it's okay...although I know with autoimmune conditions they can be delayed.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is from Robb Wolf's site (he doesn't implicate lectins here):
    http://robbwolf.com/faq/

Autoimmunity
    Emerging research has made clear the link between Neolithic foods (grains, legumes and dairy) and autoimmune diseases such as Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Multiple Sclerosis and a host of other less well know conditions. Many people have found significant improvements in autoimmune disease by eliminating the Neolithic foods and building a diet around nutritious Paleo options. If you suffer from an autoimmune disease we highly recommend you start a Paleo diet and let us know what your results are. To give your body it’s best chance to heal we recommend that you initially limit the following foods:

•Eggs
    •Tomatoes & eggplants
    •Peppers including bell peppers and hot peppers
    •Spices such as curries, paprika, and chili powder.
    Some of these otherwise Paleo-friendly foods have been shown to be problematic in individuals with autoimmune issues. We recommend you fully remove not only these foods but also all Neolithic foods (grains, breads, potatoes, beans and dairy) for at least a month to see if they pose a problem for you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast