Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low carb vs balanced diet page

NutMeg is offline Senior Member

Low carb vs balanced diet

Primal Fuel
    SOmeone on a CW site i frequent asked a question about LC vs balanced diet. She said she was low carb, and now wants to eat a balanced diet. I told her lower/low carb is good for some people. A bunch of people aid they prefer a 'balanced diet'.

So that lead me to ask,
    I am still not understanding how eating less carbs is considered 'unbalanced'. If someone follows the food pyramid or spark, they are eating about 50% of their calories from carbs. If they follow a lower carb plan they are getting 50% of their calories from somewhere else. Mine happen to be about 50/30/20, fat/protein/carbs. Sort of revere of the 'normal', but no less balanced, just different.

I easily meet all my RDA for other things like vitamins, minerals and fiber.
    And the only reponse was,
    The difference is the quality of the food you're eating. Fat is really high calorie for the amount of nutrients you're getting; not very healthy. Carbs also have a lot of calories for their volume, but your body uses them differently than fats. You probably want to switch your fat and carbs, just because your body will appreciate it more. If you're going "lower carb," replace it with protein and vegetables rather than fat.

PS: Your body doesn't get as much benefit from supplements as from nutrients from food because of the form they are in. You may want to reconsider your strategy.
    First, did I say anything about supplements? Did I ay I didn't eat veggies? Obviously I DO or else I wouldn't have 20% of my overall calories coming from carbs. Ugh! Some people are just mental midgets.

My response to her was,
    Well the only supplements I take are folic acid, fish oils and Vitamin D.

I have also lost about 30+ pounds, gain lean muscle and improved my lipid profile.

I am happier, healthier and don't have crazy cravings. I never feel deprived and my skin looks awesome. I have more energy, more normalized menstrual cycles and look better in my clothes.

And research has shown that the way I eat is healthy and safe. You can eat nutrient dense foods and not eat a lot of carbs.

Why exactly should I change?
    I wonder if she will go back and look at it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i dont understand where people get the idea something is 'imbalanced' just because your 'low carb'....macro% wise you can eat 100 carbs and still only have it account as 10% of your calories...but 100g of carbs is pretty tough when you only eat real food...not to imbalanced imo

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    I was noticing today that I am more balanced on PB than ever... that is, if you look at grams instead of percentage points.

Today was: 78 grams fat, 76 grams carbs, 75 grams protein.

Could you get more balanced than that?
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

I agree, I am more balanced too. Plus. I rarely met my nutrition guidelines for vitamins and minerals when I ate according to the food pyramid, I almost always meet or exceed my goals while following the PB.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Then that's your argument... the balance is obvious, when you look at grams. I am not sure why people think that 50% carbs is a balanced diet.
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    "Balance" in something like macro nutrient ratios is a dumb idea for its own sake, unless science supports it - what's a "balanced" heroin consumption schedule? "Moderation" in knife fighting?
    There is no particular reason the ratios should be equal or unequal, you just have to look at the science, for whatever it's worth, and listen to your own body.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Mal,
    I think the "imbalanced" idea comes into play because
    1. They don't hear "low" they hear "no" carb
    2. They don't think, believe, know that veggies and fruit contain carbs. Carbs, to them, come from bread, pasta, etc.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Mal,
    2. They don't think, believe, know that veggies and fruit contain carbs. Carbs, to them, come from bread, pasta, etc.
    I dont even say low carb to people now, I just mention no bread pasta rice and then they go, what, no carbs I have absolutely no idea of my carb quota as I've never been interested in tracking it, but I think even with the odd piece of cake or muffin here and there and 1/2 tspn of sugar in my frequent teas, I'd be well under the 150g of carb per day... thats not low to a lot of people on here, but it's probably a damn sight lower than what most other people are eating.

A diet that contains adequate amounts of all the necessary nutrients required for healthy growth and activity.A balanced diet is one that contains all the ingredients needed for our body to healthily continue its day to day functions in the most efficient way.
    http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Balanced_Diet SO here is the 'scientific' definition of balanced diet. Looks like we are right on target.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Mal,
    I agree with this for sure. In this particular discussion there wasn't even mention of no grains, just me defending a low/lower carb diet.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast