Thread: lab results in and a bit confused page

morrissey is offline Junior Member

lab results in and a bit confused

Shop Now
    so I just got some blood taken the other week and am a bit confused by the results, my parents [both DR's are a bit worried] As a heads up I've been eating Paleo/Primal for about 1.5 years now, I am 27 and am avg weight for my height.

my total cholesterol is 234 H
    HDL 83
    cholesterol/HDL ratio 2.8
    LDL 139H
    Triglyceride 61

They say the numbers are a bit high, but everything I've been reading is saying its the Ratio that is important, and it appears that my ratio puts me in heart healthy category. So just wondering if I should be concerned...

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Your HDL is super high, your trigs are below 100, your ratio is fine. YOU ARE DOING GREAT!

morrissey is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the response, Im assuming they're concerned about the LDL. I guess I was just hoping to be eating this way and the lab results would prove to them that I am eating healthy, yet they're still concerned [perhaps its just a parent thing]..

Now I am interested to see if I ate more fish with Omega 3's and took supplements would lower the LDL number, the only Omegas I get are in my eggs (3 or 4 a day, every day for the past 1.5 years. haha)

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Why are they concerned? If your HDL were, say, 43 instead of 83, then your total cholesterol would be under 200 and they would probably just say, well, it would be nice if your HDL was a couple points higher, but hey your total is under 200, looking good! But having HDL at 83 is just so damn protective and your numbers look GREAT. If you really want to find out if your LDL poses a risk, get a VAP test that determines the particle size of the LDL - only the very small, dense particles are bad. Most people with high HDL and low trigs have the large, fluffy type that poses no risk.

People have just been brainwashed to think a total cholesterol over 200 is BAD. Hogwash! They just aren't used to seeing the total pushed up with such a high HDL.

Omega 3 supplements are always a good idea. I just highly doubt that they would lower your LDL.

Cholesterol is not the enemy - it is essential to life.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    If you really want to find out if your LDL poses a risk, get a VAP test that determines the particle size of the LDL - only the very small, dense particles are bad. Most people with high HDL and low trigs have the large, fluffy type that poses no risk.
    iirc, griff's cholestrol primer post has a bit about that:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 for women and 5 for men. Also, according to http://www.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/523.cfm and several other sites, the ratio of your trigs to your HDL will indicate whether your LDL is small and dense (bad - Pattern B) or large and fluffy (neutral - Pattern A). A larger number indicates smaller LDL particles and a smaller number indicates larger LDL particles. It's an inverse relationship.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    That is excellent blood work! According to all our lecturers in my clinical medicine course, HDL is what they are most concerned with. And your's is terrific! If I were your doctor/PA/NP, I would do a happy dance for you because many people struggle to get their HDL into a healthy range.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Most everything I've read says that with Trigs as low as yours, the LDL is essentially guaranteed to be Pattern A. Pattern A is the often described "large fluffy" LDL that is benign (in regard to causing heart disease) or potentially beneficial (in regard to protecting against stroke, Alzheimer's, and other brain/mental diseases).