Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zinc deficiency page

Nat
    Nat is offline Member

Zinc deficiency

According to fitday and the white spots of my nails, I need more zinc.
    I don't want to take supplements. I only eat seafood for animal protein (not meat).
    Any suggestions?

Googling the topic, these foods are supposedly rich in zinc:
    - oysters, shellfish, salmon
    - sesame seeds, pecans, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds
    - spinach, crimini mushrooms, sea vegetables, asparagus, brocolli

I definitely eat most of these foods (plus other nutritious Primal foods), so why the apparent deficiency?

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    How often do you do oysters? One time a week should provide the zinc you need. BUT, if you're not absorbing well enough, or getting *too much* copper, zinc deficiency is totally possible.

Its really hard, from what I've read, to absorb the zinc from nuts/seeds, so I might not *count* those as great zinc sources...

If you really want to avoid supping, I might try taking digestive enzymes along w/ a serving of oysters once a week. It will help you to absorb the zinc.

I personally feel supping, at least while your getting your levels up, is only helpful, but we each need to do what works for us.

HTH!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You might see if something else in your diet is impeding absorption? I know phytates affect how the body can absorb zinc, but that shouldn't be an issue for primal types. There might be some other interaction going on. Cillakat would probably know.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

kiwineil is offline Senior Member
    its not advice but do u really need a reason to eat more oysters??

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Some of us have higher dietary zinc needs than others brine are pretty high for a woman. Mens needs are high typically due testosterone production. You may need a serving of oysters every five to seven days or even more frequently depending n a variety of factors (illness, injury, burn, cut etc). Sorry to be so brief. On the iPhone.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

balabushka is offline Junior Member
    >the white spots of my nails
    => these are small injuries from normal life, no sign of zinc deficiency

Quote Originally Posted by balabushka View Post
    I would disagree. It's widely accepted that they are signs of zinc deficiency.

My n=1

I work in a lab at Emory. I'm constantly knocking my nails on things....no white spots.

When I was zinc deficient, I always had white spots. Aside from anxiety/moodiness and slower wound healing, the white spots are some of my first signs to show up.

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Is zinc in the chain of things vitamin D deficiency impedes? I know that my body made very poor use of all the calcium and magnesium and C I was taking before I got my D up. There are some things that people leading modern lives just need to supplement, I believe, unless you want to move South and take up nudism. Every one of them is a link in a chain and breaking the chain prevents you from getting the benefits of other things you may be ingesting plenty of.

Quote Originally Posted by slacker View Post
    Is zinc in the chain of things vitamin D deficiency impedes? I know that my body made very poor use of all the calcium and magnesium and C I was taking before I got my D up. There are some things that people leading modern lives just need to supplement, I believe, unless you want to move South and take up nudism. Every one of them is a link in a chain and breaking the chain prevents you from getting the benefits of other things you may be ingesting plenty of.
    Interesting. Initially, I was going to say 'Nope', zinc has nothing to do with d...but really, I have no idea if it does or not.

I do know that fiber and phytates both interfere with zinc absorption, so does calcium (and most of us get too much of that anyway....)

It'd be worth tracking zinc intake for a week or so via nutritiondata.self.com to see what it's looking like. Most need 15-30 mg per day.

Men tend to need more than women
    very active persons need more
    those with injuries, cuts, burns or any other assault to the skin need more
    high produce diets increase zinc needs
    vegetarians need more zinc

Many people do not get sufficient zinc via diet. Oysters are a great source....eating them once a week would be ideal for a person not eating red meat/organ meats.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by balabushka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I would disagree. It's widely accepted that they are signs of zinc deficiency.

My n=1

I work in a lab at Emory. I'm constantly knocking my nails on things....no white spots.

When I was zinc deficient, I always had white spots. Aside from anxiety/moodiness and slower wound healing, the white spots are some of my first signs to show up.
    Hm. Lots of things are 'widely accepted', and this (white spots on nails = zinc deficiency) is reproduced all over the shop. Does anyone have a reliable source?

I had white spots on my nails as a child, when my mother was feeding me a healthy-within-bounds-of-CW diet; I had them as a vegetarian while supplementing the RDA of zinc with good quality (Solgar) supplements and being careful to eat plenty of food sources; I still have them almost 5 months post-PB, eating plenty of fish, red meat, organ meats, etc. Other things (skin and scalp especially) have changed, but not the little white spots.

I sit and type all day, pretty much, and more or less never knock my nails on things. (So I agree this isn't looking like a great explanation either.)

Any chance it could just be a random genetic quirk, like freckles?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast