Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Fish Oil Stank Out of Clothing

Red face Getting Fish Oil Stank Out of Clothing

Shop Now
    So I had a Fish Oil capsule get squished in my flightsuit (NOMEX) pocket for work. Now, even after several washes, I still smell like anchovy guts (the suit, not me - as far as I can tell).

I have tried extra detergent, oxyclean, dishsoap, and extra dryer sheets; all with no respite. The oil spot washed away, but The STANK remains.

Does anyone have a good remedy for Stanksuit?

That's funny, 'cause I had one break in my suitcase - fortunately for me, one pair of underwear caught most of it. I didn't discover it until I was wearing said underwear one day and kept wondering where the fish smell was coming from. I think my wife soaked it in vinegar and baking soda and the smell is all gone. Good luck.

Luckily I'm in Southern Louisiana, and it's like cologne 'round these parts.

Is stank the new stink?

I think hot water and lots of soap is the key.
    That reminds me of a funny story involving a grokling and LOTS of fish oils caps (resulting in fishy laundry). I'll spare you the icky details, but let's just say that she now listens when I tell her to limit herself to 2 capsules!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    I think hot water and lots of soap is the key.
    That reminds me of a funny story involving a grokling and LOTS of fish oils caps (resulting in fishy laundry). I'll spare you the icky details, but let's just say that she now listens when I tell her to limit herself to 2 capsules!
    Oh my!

I washed a pair of uniform combat pants with a forgotten fish oil capsule in the pocket. Horrible fishy smell that didn't go away until I let them sit in the basement for a month before I learned to do the vinegar soak (diluted) and wash with plenty of baking soda in the wash cycle. It worked, but I recall it took a few washes. If this doesn't work, can you trade the flight suit back in for a replacement at supply/CQ?

It's not a military flightsuit. I will have to try the vinegar and baking soda soak. I'll just keep washing it until either it disintegrates, or I can get a new one ordered.

Thanks everyone!

Yes, it was a HUGE smelly mess. I also made the mistake of trying to wash her clothes with my baby's cloth diapers, so those had to be stripped as well!

Shop Now
    When I was in college I worked for the National Marine Fisheries Service (fed govt.) on a pogey plant (pogey is menhaden, a species of fish in the herring family processed for fish oil and meal). My clothes smelled like that by the end of each day. At the end of the summer I just burned them, but yours is nomex, so I guess that's out. Also from south Louisiana here.