Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Here's what a real nutritionist eats page 7

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Seriously. The way people are talking it's as though she's living on poptarts and jam sandwiches. Her lunch and dinner sounds like something I eat regularly.

Pork salad with dressing is a bad lunch?
    Meat, veges and rice is a bad dinner?
    Fruit, yogurt and icecream for dessert isn't terribly bad either.

As for her breakfast, I'm not sure what Fibre One is but I'm sure a bowl the stuff mixed with blueberries is more nutritious than a bulletproof coffee.
    Her meals might look rather bland but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm an extremely straight forward eater myself, most of my meals consist of a starch, meat, vegetable and some salt. I still look forward to it and don't tire of the repetition.
    The thing is, if she's eating the recommended portions (4 oz) and doing all that low fat, it seems like nowhere near enough food. Pork tenderloin is fairly small, and if I picture two slices of it, that's a really tiny portion. I would imagine her stirfry is similar. If it's the standard low-fat thing with that little protein as well, I can't imagine how one lives on it. I'd be considering gnawing on someone's arm after a day or two of that, not because it's bad food necessarily but just because I'd be so unsatisfied and hungry.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    And Owly,
    "2 burger patties (1/4 pound each) with onions, bacon, and rhubarb chipotle ketchup
    panfried potatoes (cooked in lard)"
    This sounds fantastic
    If you are ever in our part of Canada, we will have you over for dinner. My partner even speaks fluent French (mine is a little more shaky because I'm very out of practice).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Leida is offline Senior Member
    But, plenty of the primal eaters found the hard way that they have to restrict their portions as well. 8-10 oz portions of meat are only possible by sacrificing the sides to spinach if your caloric allocation is about 1300-1500 cals. And for many women it is the reality of the caloric intake for the modern lifestyle. Some people get full on volume, some do not; those who need volume, will have to avoid huge portions of meat and fat that will decrease the volume for veggies taking up all the calories. Her sides are more generous than the Primal sides. After all, potatoes fried in coconut oil are not exactly BAS as described by the PB.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-09-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Her sides are more generous than the Primal sides.
    Salad with vinegarette and steamed white rice are pretty light sides unless she is eating a mountain of rice.

The other woman- the trainer with no energy is eating a pretty high calorie count, I'd estimate.

Looks pretty generous to me, compared to 2 c of spinach or mushed cauliflower or 3 oz of cucumber and 2 sticks of celery type sides i normally get on Primal.

I did not see the other woman's menu, but I know that I am tired by the end of every day as well, and I was exhausted on the most high fat/protein - least carbs diet I have eaten. I was beaten down for a month.

I also see that her degree was earned in Texas, and to be honest even the short-term exposure to the Texas idea on a portion size and fat content might lead a person to over-doing it on the other side of the equation. I can't imagine what a long-term exposure would do.

I dunno, I need to see the pic of women to judge if their diets work for them. If they look healthy and happy and fit, I would not criticize what they eat in particular, even if it doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-09-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Looks pretty generous to me, compared to 2 c of spinach or mushed cauliflower or 3 oz of cucumber and 2 sticks of celery type sides i normally get on Primal.

I did not see the other woman's menu, but I know that I am tired by the end of every day as well, and I was exhausted on the most high fat/protein - least carbs diet I have eaten. I was beaten down for a month.

I dunno, I need to see the pic of women to judge if their diets work for them. If they look healthy and happy and fit, I would not criticize what they eat in particular, even if it doesn't work for me.
    The second woman's pic is on her page, she is not fit or healthy looking and even if she was multiple cans of soda do not belong in any healthy diet.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Where is the second woman anyway? I absolutely agree on soda

Okay, the second lady is not exactly a guru of some kind, just some blogger who finished a few week course in whatever and got a certificate. Depending on the certifying authority she may not have any real training or any knowledge past a few hours of food pyramid and generic fitness theory. Her diet IS atrocious, I have no argument with that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    This is the menu that got me:
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Breakfast:
    Fiber One cereal with skim milk
    Fresh blueberries

Lunch:
    2 slices of pork tenderloin, seasoned with pepper and mustard
    Salad with vinaigrette
    Water to drink

An occasional diet soda or juice is fine since it helps when you crave sweets.

Dinner:
    Steamed white rice
    Vegetable stir-fry with ground turkey
    Water
    That's just NOT ENOUGH FOOD! Seriously, two slices of pork tenderloin? Holy crap, tenderloin is about 2 inches in diameter. That's two bites of tenderloin, probably about 2 ounces. The steak in my picture a few pages back was about 10 ounces, maybe 12. It's an inch thick and big as the palm of my hand plus my fingers and thumb. My big salad has 7.5oz of salmon with the skin and bones.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    Yup and that is why you have scads of fat women running around hungry, slowly ruining their metabolisms. It amazes me that people eat sugary snacks, justify it by calling it a "grain" and then FREAK OUT if you eat a large portion of meat.
    Yeah, this^^. It totally ruins your metabolism to eat tiny portions and do tons of exercise. I realize this truth now that I've started lifting heavy. It woke me up, big time. I feel like pow, zowie, wow, I'm AWAKE now and I'm HONGRY GIMME BIG HUNKS O' BEEF NOW! I feel great. Three weeks of eating big portions of meat and vegetables and a) no need to snack, b) no need to watch the clock for the next meal, c) not ever feeling stuffed, d) I have so much more energy I just want to move around and enjoy life, things don't feel hard and tiring as much. Part of that is getting stronger but a huge amount is feeling alive from waking up my metabolism.

I do not believe that I could continue to eat this big without the weight lifting, though. Both together seem to be the key, not one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post

You are exhausted because you don't eat enough to grow some muscle. And if you don't believe me, look at your pictures again where you moan and groan about the lack of muscle building despite everything you do.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PrimalCon New York
    You are exhausted because you don't eat enough to grow some muscle. And if you don't believe me, look at your pictures again where you moan and groan about the lack of muscle building despite everything you do.
    Except the moment I add carbs, on the same or less calories I am an energizer bunny. I had the best energy performance on meat and vegetables, and I was eating 1300 cals (60 g carb on off days, 120 g carbs on training days), while on high fat I was grinding on 1600 cals. Same exercise load. And my muscle gains where practically non-existent when I was eating on excess calories (1800-2200 range) as well.

It's not as simple as: 'lift a cow, then eat a cow'
    Last edited by Leida; 11-09-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast