Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what a real nutritionist eats page 2

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ground turkey can be fantastic in a stir-fry with lots of butter, S&P, and some chopped veggies. Mmmmm!
    Dianarenata- i love your "cereal." I made an "oat bran" with cream, hazelnut meal, and some cashews (along with salt and cinnamon). Yum! I used to eat oat bran every morning for breakfast because I actually LIKE it.

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    That doesn't seem like nearly enough calories. I'm so glad I've moved away from CW because in the past that's what trying to lose weight/become healthier would have been like for me too (and I always had energy crashes and was always thinking about my next meal and what I would eat).

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    *facepaw*

I would expect as dietician to at least be eating a nutritionally sufficient diet. Sheeeesh.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

theholla is offline Senior Member
    D: It actually made me really sad to read this. I agree with cookie, and have a hard time believing she loves food. I'd also be starving all day if I ate like her - no wonder she snacks on sugary stuff.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Christina* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    *facepaw*

I would expect as dietician to at least be eating a nutritionally sufficient diet. Sheeeesh.
    The unfortunate part is that those who don't know much about nutrition are going to read her article and think that that's what a healthy diet/food intake is and many will probably try to emulate it. :/

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    To all the people who blame the obese for their condition and lack of will power: This is what we are taught is good for us. We are taught that menus like this one are healthy and that eating like this should keep us full all the time. If it doesn't, it's called "food addiction" or "emotional eating". It can't possibly be REAL HUNGER. Is anyone surprised that two weeks after beginning such a diet the fat person is binging on cookies and ice cream? Even the nutritionist admits it. This kind of menu always leads to orgies of sugar, flour and trans fat. Cause and effect.
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Oh dear, she's gunning for the kids...

from her bio:
    She has a special interest in working with children and has received her certification in pediatric weight management.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    To all the people who blame the obese for their condition and lack of will power: This is what we are taught is good for us. We are taught that menus like this one are healthy and that eating like this should keep us full all the time. If it doesn't, it's called "food addiction" or "emotional eating". It can't possibly be REAL HUNGER. Is anyone surprised that two weeks after beginning such a diet the fat person is binging on cookies and ice cream? Even the nutritionist admits it. This kind of menu always leads to orgies of sugar, flour and trans fat. Cause and effect.
    You are right. I really feel sorry for people who are just listening to the people with alphabet soups after their name that should know better.

Sometimes I think the people who CAN eat like this are the ones with the eating disorder...I mean, how else do you survive on it and feign happiness?
    Last edited by kennelmom; 09-24-2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Shrinking_Violet is offline Senior Member
    Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire, though originally from Sheffield
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    I turned to Primalism because I was doing a diet dreamt up by a nutritionist called Zoe Harcombe, and it wasn't working for me. She opined that the reason people were addicted to food was because of one - or more - of 3 things: -

Candidasis
    Hypoglycaemia
    Food Intolerance

Phase 1 was Primal (well almost!) You could eat meat, fish, veggies (but NOT fruit because of the fructose, because it's sugar and all 3 of the above are caused, she argued, by sugar cravings) but you could have 50g (if you ate meat/fish) or 150g (if you were vegetarian/vegan) of brown rice. She still ascertained that wholegrains were 'good' carbs and the only 'bad' carbs were sugar and artificial sweeteners.

Phase 2 is rather akin to the Hay Diet, because it's a non-food combining diet (i.e. you don't eat carbs and fats at the same meal (e.g. if you were having a jacket potato, you couldn't fill it with butter and cheese, you'd have to have something like ratatouille instead).

Your next meal (and she's very much stuck in the rut of CW, as she does encourage you to eat every 4 hours or so) MUST be a 'fat' meal (so you could have a burger and cheese, but no veg) - she claims it's "easy to follow" but who wants to remember NOT to have butter on their veggies, or whether their last meal was 'carbs' or 'fat'...?! Life's FAR too short! Her favourite breakfasts in P2 are porridge and puffed brown rice cereal.

THD only eliminates processed carbs (and by that I mean grains) - unprocessed are absolutely fine.

I'm just reading her eBook as I type this, and she contradicts herself a fair bit. She begins by outlining what hypoglycaemia is and saying that you must eat to avoid your blood sugar getting too low (I reckon she'd have a heart attack if anyone ever told her that fasting is a perfectly safe, natural and healthy thing to be doing!) She maintains that whole carbs do not have the same impact on blood sugar levels as those which have been processed (and we all know that's BS, don't we...?)

She does go on to add that brown rice is optional, but it does give you useful fibre and energy... Hmm... Phase 1 is supposed to dtoxify your system - and yet you're allowed rice... Another contradiction.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but she does have so many, many, many things wrong.

Finally, in her preamble, she states what she believes makes her diet unique: -

1) It works for everyone (er, no it doesn't)
    2) It's practical (what, remembering whether your last meal was 'fat' or 'carbs', or not to butter their asparagus? Practical? Hardly!)
    3) It can be followed for life (what all this not eating this with that? Bollocks!)
    4) It must be healthy (yep, all that rice, pasta, bread, legumes and spuds - sure is healthy - NOT!)
    5) It must be enjoyable (who's enjoys not having butter on their veg, or not being able to have cream on their berries...?)

She ends this with: - The Harcombe Diet meets all of the above criteria and I am not aware of another diet that does.

I'd love to be able to get in contact with her and introduce her to Primalism - she'd probably vanish in a puff of smoke like The Wicked Witch of the West!
    La tristesse durera toujours...

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks for that mirrorball. I've spent my life subscribing to cooking light, making ground turkey stir fries, putting prune puree in my brownies to make them low-fat and generally trying to eat like this lady. Of course I've been hungry most of my life and ended up falling into a sugar trap to feel full. and even now, I'm being told that this "crazy fad diet" is never going to work. Honestly, even if I never lose weight I can't imagine going back to grains and low fat, I like feeling full and having clear skin and not having joint pain.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast