Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salad photos -- post yours! page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Lightbulb Salad photos -- post yours!

Perhaps seeing some salads will help whet our appetites and give us ideas... how about posting photos of our salads with a little description? Like this...

Salad: Broccoli and cauliflower shreds, carrots, radishes (red and daikon), cucumber, celery, spring onions, sliced almonds. Usually I have some green sprouts in there too, but none were ready today.

Dressing: Olive oil and red wine vinegar, garlic, sea salt, pepper. Yummy!

P.S.: I hope that photo posting worked without being blocked. I still don't understand the approval process -- if someone could enlighten me on that front, I'll edit this intro post later with instructions!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jenny; 09-25-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    That is a work of art.

Thanks, though I can't take credit -- my husband Optimus Primal makes us these giant salads every night for lunch the next day. I'm spoiled!

I periodically have to remind myself to really go ahead and be generous with that olive oil, but either way I find I'm full and happy all day as a result. Now I just need to find a way to convince myself to throw meat in there too. Someday, maybe. :D

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I'm finally on board with EATING salads and I really enjoy them now, but it just seems such a PITA to make one. I have a salad maybe twice a week.

Having all the ingredients on hand really helps, especially if you can buy them already-shredded like the broccoli and cauliflower here. Usually we get a bag of carrot shreds too. The sprouts I grow at home are an easy bulk item too.

So then all we need to slice is celery and radish and cucumber, and we have a machine to help with that if we want to use it (either the food processor or the manual chopper.) Usually I just slice a whole bag of radishes for the week and store them in water, for example...

Even so, when you're hungry, making a salad on the spot is a pain. Having it already-made and just sitting there waiting is great.

We try to work together to do as much prep the night before as possible -- our kid's lunch, these salads, anything else we want to bring. Then it's all grab and go in the morning. I keep the oil and vinegar at work and dress it at the last minute, so it doesn't wilt from sitting in dressing.

mizski is offline Senior Member
    This salad is a wonderful combination of bacon, mushrooms and shallots on top of a bed of frisee.

Warm Bacon-Mushroom Frisee Salad

Ingredients

5 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and sliced into 1/4-inch pieces, width wise
    1 pint sliced button mushrooms
    2 shallots, sliced
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup Wanjashan organic ponzu*
    Olive oil and/or avocado oil
    1 head frisee, prepped, washed and spun dry
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

Cook bacon and remove from pan. In the same pan you cooked the bacon, lightly coat with olive/avocado oil and saute the mushrooms and shallots until brown. Add the Dijon and deglaze and reduce with ponzu, about 2 minutes. Add back the bacon. In a large bowl, pour mixture on top of frisee, toss, season with salt/pepper and serve.

Recipe by Ming Tsai (from the Simply Ming PBS show)

*Ponzu is a Japanese vinegrette-type sauce.
    There are many DIY recipes or in a pinch you could use:
    1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 TBS Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or organic, yeast-free soy sauce)
    1 tsp rice vinegar
    Pinch cayenne

Yay another photo! I like the soft focus. Sounds and looks really delicious. What's frisee taste like -- that's that stringy sort of lettuce stuff, right?

mizski is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    What's frisee taste like -- that's that stringy sort of lettuce stuff, right?
    Frisee is similar to chicory with a slightly bitter taste. The very fine leaves of frisee make it less bitter tasting though. It it wonderful combined with other lettuces to give the salad more complex flavor notes. In this salad, the bitterness of the frisee goes well with the salty bacon and sweet brightness of the citrusy ponzu.

Frisee (or chicory) also works well with French salad dressing or other dressings that have a sweet undertone.

Lodini is offline Senior Member
    Here's my lunch for tomorrow... super simple, but oh so good!!

Romaine, shredded cabbage, cucumber, grape tomatoes, red onion and carrots - dressed with EVOO and lime juice - topped with 3 hardboiled eggs

Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love HB eggs whenever I'm not pregnant -- looking forward to liking them again. Thanks for the photo!

mizski, thanks for the summary. It helps knowing what complements a food before trying it for the first time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast