Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you done anything to make your commute more primal? page

Jenny is offline Senior Member

Question Have you done anything to make your commute more primal?

Shop Now
    This morning I noticed that lately, I've been favoring a back route to drive to work. It takes a bit longer... but it goes through a lot of green space on one-lane roads. I can open the windows, cruise along slowly, and enjoy the breeze instead of dealing with stop-and-go traffic on the highway.

Of course driving in a car to commute is not as primal as -- say -- walking or biking to work might be, but I think this route is still an attempt to optimize the time spent commuting in a sort of primal way. It's certainly more pleasant and more foresty than it would otherwise be.

Have you made any changes to your commute that jive with the primal approach to life in general?
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    In less than a week, I won't have a commute anymore. Granted, that wasn't by choice, but hey, it's slightly more primal. As of now, I have my choice of take the freeway, take the highway, take the highway, or take the service road for any of those 3.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I've already been walking/biking pretty much everywhere. Now that my car decided to die, you can say my commute is 100% primal.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

trobi is offline Member
    I don't have a job, so I don't exactly have a commute. But I've been recently biking more often... I just wish more places had bike racks. I'm really paranoid that someone is going to steal my bike if it's not locked up.

theholla is offline Senior Member
    I walk pretty much everywhere. I feel very, very fortunate to have a job within walking distance of my house (for years I had the commute from hell). It takes about 30 minutes each way. It makes the whole "move slowly" part of Primal fitness that much easier. I find that if I take the trolley instead of walking, I have too much nervous energy during the day, and have to go out and walk around during lunch or run up and down the office stairs to make it through the afternoon. It isn't all that "nature-y" since I live in a city, but at least I'm in the part that has trees! And I get to interact with plenty of animals, like poorly behaved but friendly dogs, crazy flocks of sparrows, and fearless (and fat) urban squirrels.

Anyway, enjoy the scenic route! I know that being in nature has a superb effect on my mental state.
    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Oh my, niaidknight... condolences... hope you can make the most of the time at least!

Chaohinon, heh, I guess that would do it. Glad you're able to do it without the car at least.

trobi, I'd be paranoid like that too (mainly because I've had bikes stolen before)... Are there rules in your area against chaining the bike up to non-racks?

theholla, interesting. Sounds like the walk really helps your day, city or no. And will do!

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    I'd recently changed my commute such that I go through a large wooded reservation for a decent part of my commute. It adds a little time to my commute, but I've found it very therapeutic. Sometimes I stop in the picnic area and get my daily sunshine before resuming my commute. I've liked the change a lot.

queen_sheba is offline Senior Member
    i used to be super lazy and get the bus up the road (15 mnins walk!) as i hated getting to work out of breath and a little sweaty. but then realised that was doing me good and i really had to persevere with it!
    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    We've started listening to books on CD during our half hour drive to and from work.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I drive through our river valley on my commute (much of the valley is set aside as parks and wild spaces), and the ever-changing view of nature helps ground me for the day. I could go another route that might be slightly quicker, but it would be a lot less enjoyable.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast