Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Microwave cooking. page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Microwave cooking.

Shop Now
    Hi. I've been planning to buy a freezer (for stock and half pigs etc.) I also wondered about a microwave - BUT there are so many things online demonising microwaves and saying how they de-nature food and destroy the nutrients.

Any one here use one~? Any views on how safe they are and what damage they do to food? I really like the idea of being able to take a pack of frozen stew out of the freezer and have it ready to eat in no time - or soup made from home made stock etc etc.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Cooking (heat) denatures food, in general. Not just microwaves. Some argue microwaves do it in a different way, but I don't worry about that. I'm comfortable with using a microwave, personally -- although I try to stick with cooking in glass containers rather than plastics.

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    The people who demonize microwaves do so because they do not understand microwaves or how they work.

I don't like putting plastic in the things, but I reheat tons of stuff in them in glass containers.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Don't own one, but it's because, well, I'm not sure, I think it's becuase I just never got in the habit and never bothered to replace my last one Maybe I need to re-think that decision...

Anyway, I did research this one time due to some long-gone internet argument. I came to the conclusion that everyone else has, not inherently dangerous, but no plastics in them.

To get more specific about your idea of pulling some stew or soup out of the freezer for the microwave, here's an idea that might help you:

When I freeze soups and broths, I either use one of my cooking bowls as a "mold" for freezing (with the liquid already in a freezer bag, of course) or I make sure the frozen pieces are small enough (like ice cubes) to fit in the bowl. Then when I go to thaw it out later, I just have to run it under the tap for long enough to get it out of the bag. Then it fits in the bowl with no problems at all, no need to pre-thaw in the fridge etc.

I must say I REALLY love microwaves for thawing and heating liquids!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I think they're fine for heating food. I try not to stand close by when it is on though. One of my professors (who wrote the textbook we used for Electromagnetics) said he did this (I set the time and walk away till it's done). Since he's an expert, I take his advice. Maybe I should get one of those lead aprons that you wear when getting x-rays sometimes, haha.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I also don't think they're inherently harmful. I don't use mine all that often, but I actually plan to start using it MORE because I want to start cooking more things in advance to save some time.

Jenny's idea is awesome for soups/stews/chilis, I've done that before - I put the soup into the bowl I plan on reheating in, put the bowls on a baking sheet or something to keep them flat, and put in the freezer. Once frozen, put into bags. So easy.
    "mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Setabas is offline Senior Member
    This has been "nagging" me too as I use my microwave quite a bit. I steam veggies in there nearly every day; I prepare scrambled eggs in it when I'm in a rush; and I reheat every primal meal for which I have leftovers.

I've been justifying it to myself that steaming veggies in the microwave is still better for me than eating something prepackaged out of a box.

jarnapal is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I think they're fine for heating food. I try not to stand close by when it is on though. One of my professors (who wrote the textbook we used for Electromagnetics) said he did this (I set the time and walk away till it's done). Since he's an expert, I take his advice. Maybe I should get one of those lead aprons that you wear when getting x-rays sometimes, haha.
    So you keep a distance from the microwave ? Why would you eat microwaved food when you think it already harms YOU ?

Quote Originally Posted by mayness View Post
    I put the soup into the bowl .... Once frozen, put into bags. So easy.
    I bag the liquid before putting it in the bowl because that's easier for me than chipping frozen soup out of the bowls later. But whatever works really! The bowl's shape probably matters too -- I use Pyrex measuring "cups" (really huge ones) for pretty much everything because they have a handle. Their sides are pretty straight so it would be tough to get frozen soup out of those any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by jarnapal View Post
    So you keep a distance from the microwave ? Why would you eat microwaved food when you think it already harms YOU ?
    Sounds like yodiewan is concerned about the fields around the microwave while it's running. It's not like the microwaves stay IN the food when it's done cooking. (Just like how irradiated strawberries are not radioactive...)

I don't mind the effect an oven has on my food, but that doesn't mean I wanna get heated either.
    Last edited by Jenny; 09-23-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast