Thread: Blood test cost? Cheaper in-home option? page

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

Blood test cost? Cheaper in-home option?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone know how much a test for C Reactive protein usually costs?

I just got the bill for my Vitamin D and VAP test. Before insurance, the VAP was $35.00 and the Vitamin D was $110.00. I didn't think a Vitamin D test would be so pricey! can someone recommend a home kit for Vitamin D? I need to retest to see if I'm taking the right amount of D3.

Thanks

Grizz is offline Banned
    Barry,
    How many Units are you taking daily?

Our Senior Gurus here have determined you need 1,000 units per 25 lbs of body weight and I have verified this number from other reliable doctor sources.

Grizz

I'm taking 6,000 a day (I weight 150Lbs) but I want to take another test to see how that affected my levels. I've read (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...el/vitamin%20D) that the amount needed varies a lot for each person.

My D test showed a 31... ouch. My doctor said something like "you can take up to 1,000 units a day" which I thought was pretty funny.

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    Someone just posted this yesterday but www.saveonlabs.com looks to be pretty cheap. Vit D for $50, VAP for $85. CRP is $32 or $36. They have a lot of other tests as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardotmnt View Post
    Someone just posted this yesterday but www.saveonlabs.com looks to be pretty cheap. Vit D for $50, VAP for $85. CRP is $32 or $36. They have a lot of other tests as well.
    Thanks for that link. Unfortunately the drive to the nearest lab would offset the cost of the tests! My insurance picks up a good chunk of it, but I thought there were some at home "prick your finger" type tests... or is that only for glucose?

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I have no advice on the other tests, but cillakat tipped me off to the at-home tests you can get every 6 months by joining the study at http://www.grassrootshealth.net . It's $60. I went ahead and got it since my doctor oh-so-helpfully said "Oh you don't need that test" and wouldn't do it.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonardotmnt View Post
    Please only test D through labcorp or ZRT. (not quest) The D Action Study (grassrootshealth.net) uses ZRT. See my links for a plethora of D testing options.

The ZRT test is a home finger stick test.

Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    I'm taking 6,000 a day (I weight 150Lbs) but I want to take another test to see how that affected my levels. I've read (http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/se...el/vitamin%20D) that the amount needed varies a lot for each person.
    Overwhelmingly, I find that it does take 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight but there are definitely notable exceptions. A few people need much much more and some much MUCH less.

Testing is the way to go.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

leonardotmnt is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=cillakat;218986]Please only test D through labcorp or ZRT. (not quest) The D Action Study (grassrootshealth.net) uses ZRT. See my links for a plethora of D testing options.

They say to go through Labcorp on their site...

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    See my links for a plethora of D testing options.
    Great, thanks
    Last edited by barryman9000; 09-23-2010 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I found the links