Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facing a Challenge page

Facing a Challenge

Almost a month back I discovered MDA and what going Primal meant. Before that I was one of those yo-yo dieters that probably could have become a nutritionist after all of the diets and articles and studies I did on food and health. But nothing ever stuck (doing so well with Primal I am hoping that this is it) I always went back to the same old eating and excising habits that I had before. Anyways, a month ago I just got fed up with the way I was feeling and the way I saw myself...that is when a friend posted something on her Facebook called Whole30 and that she was feeling great...I checked it out and found MDA. So here I am...and I have to admit that I am feeling awesome even though I have had a few slip ups. Ultimately, I have decided that this is not a diet...this is a lifestyle change and many people (family, friends and co-workers) do not get that.

I have a cruise coming up and many people think that I am gearing up and trying to lose weight for the cruise....and they are offering many assortments of sugary and grainy foods when I return! Craziness! I keep assuring myself that this is not because of my trip but that I am ready to enjoy life! Hopefully they will get it.

Anyways, my point here and my challenge is on the cruise. Because I am ready to make a life change and live life healthy, I am a bit concerned about spending a week away from my own kitchen. I am going to be faced with buffets, grains, sugars and all sorts of foods that I have not been exposed to for the past few weeks and I want to maintain this change while I am out there. I have never been on a cruise but I have heard that there are some pretty healthy options as well....and alcohol is not a problem...I do not drink and neither does the friend I am cruising with.

So I am coming to you guys for encouragement and suggestions....I have a lot of fun and exciting excursions planned and I am tired of food controlling me....itís time to live! Has anyone sucessfully maintained good eating habits on a cruise? I would love to read your thougths!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have only been on a cruise once. You can get plenty to eat on fruits,veggies and plain meats. I was always able to find some chicken breast by asking the chef if they didn't have anything else out. For breakfast you should be able to get eggs, bacon and/or sausage. Often they had a Mongolian style grill that allowed me to select the meats and veggies they put in my bowl. This was perfect! They had shrimp, chicken and beef.

So, you should be able to survive if you can resist the urge to grab the other stuff that's out there.

blank_faceplate is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I'd view it as a single week out of (hopefully) hundreds to come. Enjoy yourself.

Alternate answer:
    Suck it up and "do the right thing."

Only you can figure out which one you want to remember when on your deathbed. The satisfaction of sticking to your guns, or the satisfaction of letting loose and enjoying yourself without regret. Sorry if that's not particularly helpful.

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blank_faceplate View Post
    Personally, I'd view it as a single week out of (hopefully) hundreds to come. Enjoy yourself.

Only you can figure out which one you want to remember when on your deathbed. The satisfaction of sticking to your guns, or the satisfaction of letting loose and enjoying yourself without regret. Sorry if that's not particularly helpful.
    this. totally this.

see also:

http://theleansaloon.com/2010/08/17/...-deficit-pt-3/

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Definitely what Batty says. It all depends on how you feel. For me, I had 39 years of eating what I wanted to. I feel good now eating what's good for me, and I don't feel the urge or need to eat the old way. But, it wouldn't hurt me or you if we did for a week on vacation. So, definitely don't stress about it.

Sassy is offline Senior Member
    In situations like this, I usually go about halfway. I eat primally as much as possible, and pass up things that are ordinary like basic doughnuts, and splurge on the really interesting and unique or special treats that catch my eye.
    Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Blank_faceplate no regrets...this is all about living right. I do plan on letting loose...maybe just not at the chocolate buffet

Great article Batty! I need to look at this as a fun time instead of worrying about it...but at the same time I am new to this and have only lost a bit of weight and feel great. I would hate to start back at square one just because of a cruise....and then have to IF it off...but it is an option!

And Turner...I have also had way too many years of eating what I want and feeling the effects of it...I am finally fed up and would rather feel good than satisfy my food desires. Iím hoping I stick with it and make this change for the good. I feel like if I eat all the crap I will feel like crap as I'm hiking and zip lining through Jamaica's jungle, snorkeling in Cayman and swimming in the underwater caverns in Cozumel....I donít want to ruin it by feeling bogged down and lazy and unhealthy. I have lived far too much of my life that way...if I can enjoy myself without going crazy then maybe I'm onto something.

Hmm....I could go either way...I guess only time will tell.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy View Post
    In situations like this, I usually go about halfway. I eat primally as much as possible, and pass up things that are ordinary like basic doughnuts, and splurge on the really interesting and unique or special treats that catch my eye.
    I like this approach. I'm travelling soon too, and I expect I will encounter things I really, really want to try. I'm saving my 20% for that stuff, not just ordinary things.
    ďIf I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.Ē --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    There's a whole mindset going on. Do you believe by eating PB that you are restricting yourself foodwise or that by following PB you are free from the SAD?

Personally I'm of the latter and so the question of what's available in the buffet doesn't bother me at all as I only want the PB foods. I don't feel that I'm missing out on something.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the response Sassy and Owly. I can see how that would be a great option.

thanatos, Thank you....I do not see that I am restricting myself at all, as I am here and eating PB because of health reasons and a clear choice to live clean. But I do have to admit that I have had that mindset in the past and that might be why I am battling this. I guess that best thing to do is to really evaluate what and why I agree with PB...then stand by it and not look at this as missing out or not living to the fullest. Thank you again.

Wow...some great thoughts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast